Preview Showdown 49: Round 8, 2021 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Just had a quick look to see how they're feeling about the game and as usual they're running with the "It means more to them than us", "It's their Grand Final" type of rubbish. There was even one suggestion we opted to rest Boak for Brisbane instead of the Showdown because the Showdown means so much more than beating a fellow contender. This club does something strange to their heads.

We're flat track bullies. Let's actually be the biggest flat track bullies ever and do them by 20 goals.

As bad as the cows are this is their grand final so will come out pretty determined, smash them on the inside and we'll win easily but if we let them gain a bit of confidence they might create a bit of doubt in our players minds after last weeks bad performance. In saying that we should win by atleast 6 goals.
Yup, it will be like last years. High intensity 1st Quarter that we will need to keep on top of then we steamroll them.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just had a quick look to see how they're feeling about the game and as usual they're running with the "It means more to them than us", "It's their Grand Final" type of rubbish. There was even one suggestion we opted to rest Boak for Brisbane instead of the Showdown because the Showdown means so much more than beating a fellow contender. This club does something strange to their heads.

We're flat track bullies. Let's actually be the biggest flat track bullies ever and do them by 20 goals.

I'd rather be the flat track bully than the flat track.

Footy Matt

All Australian
Feb 11, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Never seen a team tank so obviously and as early in the season as I did with the Crows against GWS. Absolutely zero effort or pressure, preserving themselves for the Showdown. They will come at us, and come at us hard.

Port by 50 points.

Gutted if they drop Rowe, though he is the type to have that once in a blue moon game.

He’s essentially Petrenko. SANFL-standard but one game in 10 he’ll feast with everything falling his way.

The 2005 Semi Final remains their most celebrated moment of the new millennium lol

They will throw everything they have at us. Q1 will be competitive. After that, we should take control of the match.

We are going to win. The question is: will we play good enough to run them over?

If we don’t play well, the final score might be close. Only if we play really bad (Saturday level or worse), they might have chance to pull an upset.

I don’t believe we are going to be that bad in consecutive weeks.
I want to see a full length version of Showdown 48 this week - if we can smash them by 75 points with shortened quarters, that hopefully translates to triple figures on Saturday night!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm too sadistic for that, I'd prefer they keep the same crap that they have there forever, change can only be a good thing for them.
On the contrary - it seems that every time the Tingles make a change these days, it's to the detriment of the club. Let them continue to do what they're doing.

Alyx

Unbelievably Disconnected
Feb 17, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As expected, The Advertiser have rolled this story out for the 36th time:

wow.png

Never seen a team tank so obviously and as early in the season as I did with the Crows against GWS.

They wish that was tanking. The manic effort and pressure they ambushed Geelong with his been dropping bit by bit with each passing week.

In a fortnight they’ll be lucky to blow out a candle.

SureBuddy

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Never seen a team tank so obviously and as early in the season as I did with the Crows against GWS. Absolutely zero effort or pressure, preserving themselves for the Showdown. They will come at us, and come at us hard.

Port by 50 points.
Yea that's not true. They just suck and got slaughtered by a far superior midfield. They weren't preserving themselves for us lol.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He’s essentially Petrenko. SANFL-standard but one game in 10 he’ll feast with everything falling his way.
Hes more a short Jenkins.

If you constantly cheat out the back rather than doing the team thing then occasionally it will fall your way.

At least Petrenko provided pressure

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My wife’s family is like that, but they got it immediately. One anecdote suffices to illustrate that.

When our first son was born, my wife had complications and remained in the hospital. I had a research grant at the time, so I got my books and stayed with them.

After some days, her mother went to the hospital. She entered the room and said: “Paulo, I came to replace you. I saw that Grêmio plays today. You are going. You need it!

I don’t remember the match. Still, when I got back, I was renovated.
I can relate to this one. When my eldest was born he was only 928 grams (now 15 and on track to pass my 6'1" sometime in the next year or two). The Doctors all somehow didn't pick from ultrasounds etc. prior he was so small. Wife went into liver failure and he had to be delivered (not really early, just small) a bit ahead of schedule. Planned C-section and was there. First words from Doctors, one's you don't want to hear 'He's so small' in a surprised tone :oops: He's rushed out and didn't see again for 4 hours as they worked on him and my wife. Then weeks in Melbourne Women's and Children's where we didn't know if he'd make it. Also told later could have lost wife as well if we hadn't gone to hospital as soon as we did! Football and BigFooty saved my sanity at that time. I honestly think I would have had a breakdown of some sort if I didn't have something else I was so invested in to take my mind off 'the real world', even if only short snatches of time here and there.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back