Review SHOWDOWN 55

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the things that bugged me last night was how the Crows were often able to benefit from bashing the ball forward, while we always seemed to be caught out by it. As I thought about it more during the day, I realised that was a function of our set-up around stoppages. Namely, we had too many ball-hunters. If there was anyone on the outside, they were set up to try to run away from the contest. There was no one there to deal with the opposite.

Add that to the high press and both ends of the field playing behind their opponents and it's the perfect conditions for a night like last night.

Again, it's something that happens regularly and has to be yet another coaching heck up.

I am just so ******* over seeing teams flood against us and then rebound for easy goals. It makes it a horrible spectacle to watch for all.

It is such an easy tactic for teams to do and we literally can’t do anything about it. Try switching the play, try playing an uncontested style to draw out the defence. Try spreading the field and making the ground feel wide. Try lowering the eyes instead of bombing. Try not kicking to the exact same spot from a kick-in every single god damn time. If they are going to put a million guys in the corridor, exploit it by going wide and around them. God we have guys like Farrell, Houston, Burton, JHF, Butters, Rozee, Williams, all beautiful kicks. Make the most of them.

Stop pressing the defence up so high to allow for panic 1on1’s on the turnover. God some of the over the top goals weren’t even from turnover, it was just from two easy marks from a kick-in. How can that even happen?!

We have incredible talent on our list just being wasted. Stop trying to be so ******* cute Hinkley. PLAY A NORMAL GAMEPLAN LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM. PLAY A NORMAL STRUCTURE LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE COMP. You ain’t some mastermind that is going to out coach every team. It. Does. Not. Work. Just stop.

It is really not that ******* hard to counter that gameplan used against us. I promise you one thing Hinkley. If a team plays that style to counter us and you just play a normal structure, they will NOT be able to score. You will be setup and they will have no avenue to goal as they are flooding so hard thinking we are going to press up high and they will counter attack. I ******* promise you they will change their style as soon as they realise it isn't working and we haven't eaten out of their hands.

Remember how against Essington we looked like utter trash then just went heck it and played man on man and destroyed them?

Lol handbrake Hinkley.

Marshall was criticised by BT and co. for going for a chest mark and not sticking his arms up and marking the ball in front.

It's impossible to do that when one of your arms is being held by Butts. Marshall got the free this time and goaled, but there was a lot of holding of our forwards that was missed. Good tactics, if you can get away with it. And they did.

View attachment 1977897
no point sticking his hands out he would have dropped it anyways..

toweled up by jordan butts.. that has to be droppable.

Five goals. I have rationalised just about everything else from that ****show, except that. We kicked more goals than that in 119 for Pete's sake.

Then the Club puts out a highlights reel. Nothing like reading the room ...

To be honest, I wasn't even looking at the scoreboard at any point during the game. My anger came from the type of football we were trying to play and how scared the players looked out there.

The thing is the Crows weren't super contested all night. Sure they played hard but not crazy hard. It was almost like they new they would have continual chances for Joe the Goose and that would be enough.
Nicks basically admitted this in the press conference.

He accepted that he knew we'd probably win the clearances and Inside 50s, so they built a plan to win around that. Smart coaching. They slaughtered us on their transition all night. We were clearly the more talented team, and in general had a lot more control of the game. Something like 60% of time was played in our forward half, we won the clearances and inside 50s easily, we had the game on our terms, they sat back choked us knowing we would just revert to kick to Dixon and then they rebounded and sprinted hard and maximised their few opportunities.

Meanwhile over at Alberton, try hardery for longery and just keep banging it into F50 cause eventually you'll score.

the forward press is laughable. How we continue to go down that path when its been exposed for the best part of 7 years.

How many games do we need to watch where teams just walk it up the field for open goals?

Out coaching staff have no solutions, they cant adapt on the fly or even change game plan mid season.

They appear to want to clog up the forward line doing this hence why we cant score or when we do its always under pressure.

Ask yourself which top team is using this game style in 2024? The answer is none. They all leave space inside their 50.

All the forward press does is clog the forward line so you get shots on goal from the boundary, which the opposition is happy to conceded.

Then, as another poster said, you’re one contested mark from being split open out the back lol.

It’s as as outdated as our stupid coach

He accepted that he knew we'd probably win the clearances and Inside 50s, so they built a plan to win around that. Smart coaching. They slaughtered us on their transition all night. We were clearly the more talented team, and in general had a lot more control of the game. Something like 60% of time was played in our forward half, we won the clearances and inside 50s easily, we had the game on our terms, they sat back choked us knowing we would just revert to kick to Dixon and then they rebounded and sprinted hard and maximised their few opportunities.

Meanwhile over at Alberton, try hardery for longery and just keep banging it into F50 cause eventually you'll score.
Rope a Dope.

Then, as another poster said, you’re one contested mark from being split open out the back lol.
And this is where they get us, we only have Dixon that can take a contested grab in a tight forward line. Georgiadies needs space to run and jump. Marshall never marks in contests, just gets hands to it and drops them.

Then they kick to the HFF and they mark easy in some 1:1.

This doesn't surprise me.

Compounding this is a couple of our medium defenders that are slow in Burton and Williams and then the Crows have a fair few quickly medium forwards like Rachelle, Rankine, etc. This is a recipe for disaster in space at the best of times.

From Showdown LV we have at least two more nails in the Hinkley coffin...

Ist nail- the decision to play Connor Rozee.

2nd nail- the decision not to play Jeremy Finlayson.

I have given up wondering if David Koch actually makes a note of such stuff ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Showdown LV we have at least two more nails in the Hinkley coffin...

Ist nail- the decision to play Connor Rozee.

2nd nail- the decision not to play Jeremy Finlayson.

I have given up wondering if David Koch actually makes a note of such stuff ups.
What did playing Finlayson in the SANFL achieve? Didn’t SPP walk straight back in to the side after 5 weeks? Ridiculous non selection especially as we have no Soldo and Marshall is completely out of form.

Marshall was criticised by BT and co. for going for a chest mark and not sticking his arms up and marking the ball in front.

It's impossible to do that when one of your arms is being held by Butts. Marshall got the free this time and goaled, but there was a lot of holding of our forwards that was missed. Good tactics, if you can get away with it. And they did.

View attachment 1977897
and we got pinged 4 or 5 times at the other end of the ground for the same thing

Season over. I actually went to that shitshow last night. I'm mentally cooked from this club. I've had enough.
ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Went to the local shopping centre today and it was Spewville Central. Cows supporters bedecked in their fruit tingle guernseys. Funny thing they all looked brand new and smelt of mothballs, as if the gear only came out of storage. I had my Power cap on as I always do and thankfully no one passed any comment.

heck the Cows, heck Ken Hinkley, heck David Koch they can all get ****ed. That changes nothing but it makes me feel a little better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back