Preview Showdown Zzz 4ish, Saturday @Adelaide Oval, tickets probably available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching the Footy Flashback of the clubs youtube channel of our early 2013 showdown win, noticed we were 2 goals up with 10mins left and Wines kicked a goal to get it out to 3 goals.
Untitled1.jpg

Immediately I thought of this game from last year. 10 points up, 6mins left and a Wines goal from 15m out would have made it really hard for us to lose that game. Why he couldn't do a normal drop punt I've got no idea. The angle isn't even bad.

I reckon this is the moment I started souring on Wines. Before the water skiing, before co-captaincygate and before the disgraceful and invisible performance vs the Bulldogs when our season was on the line.
Untitled.jpg

I reckon this is the moment I started souring on Wines. Before the water skiing, before co-captaincygate and before the disgraceful and invisible performance vs the Bulldogs when our season was on the line.

The Wines miss.

The Hombsch kick to Doedee while attempting to go to Westhoff, who then cops a 50 for screaming at Jack but the umpire interprets it as abuse of him and conflates it with the slightly late spoil attempt.

The Jenkins ‘goal’ and subsequent instareview.

When it goes right for the opposition in this particular fixture it really goes right.

I’m sure there’s a parallel universe where from 10 up in identical circumstances:

• Matt Crouch floats one through off his shin,

• Doedee picks out Hombsch who slips over and allows Jacobs to swoop in and lope away like Sandilands on a pogo stick,

• Dixon kicks a ‘goal’ and after a 14-minute review involving JFK-style “back and to the left” testimony, the decision is reversed.

The Wines miss.

The Hombsch kick to Doedee while attempting to go to Westhoff, who then cops a 50 for screaming at Jack but the umpire interprets it as abuse of him and conflates it with the slightly late spoil attempt.

The Jenkins ‘goal’ and subsequent instareview.

When it goes right for the opposition in this particular fixture it really goes right.

I’m sure there’s a parallel universe where from 10 up in identical circumstances:

• Matt Crouch floats one through off his shin,

• Doedee picks out Hombsch who slips over and allows Jacobs to swoop in and lope away like Sandilands on a pogo stick,

• Dixon kicks a ‘goal’ and after a 14-minute review involving JFK-style “back and to the left” testimony, the decision is reversed.

Hey remember the game against Geelong where they allowed selwood to tackle dixon from being 5m inside the protected area? Starting the timer on the mark instantly despite the fact he got crunched in a huge pack? How many times have they allowed that since then? They don't even bother showing the timer anymore

Hey remember the game against Geelong where they allowed selwood to tackle dixon from being 5m inside the protected area? Starting the timer on the mark instantly despite the fact he got crunched in a huge pack? How many times have they allowed that since then? They don't even bother showing the timer anymore

Speaking of which, I had a run-in with an anonymous Cats chode on Twitter the other day about the Dixon fiasco.

Hunted down the screenshot someone had posted here, the countdown clock was already down to 22 seconds as the ump was setting the mark and Dixon had just gotten up to walk back to take his kick. Multiple Geelong players were encroaching into the protected zone as part of signalling the clock was at zero/preemptively running in to hassle Charles.

Nair mine. Just Port things.

Speaking of which, I had a run-in with an anonymous Cats chode on Twitter the other day about the Dixon fiasco.

Hunted down the screenshot someone had posted here, the countdown clock was already down to 22 seconds as the ump was setting the mark and Dixon had just gotten up to walk back to take his kick. Multiple Geelong players were encroaching into the protected zone as part of signalling the clock was at zero/preemptively running in to hassle Charles.

Even if Dixon missed the kick, it wouldn't have had the same impact as basically the players having a huge wtf moment and realising the umps will do anything to get Geelong home. We had all the momentum at that point before the cats blatant cheating

“I don’t have any issue with it. That’s just footy. Charlie had to be better there...”

Ken Hinkley.

Another loss to this team really should spell the end of this entire regime
Could possibly be the 5 millionth nail in the coffin and 7000th "Primus" game.

We should play "which quarter will we fail to score a goal" bingo
I'll take the first quarter in the rain. The Crows will be awfully inaccurate and kick 2.7 or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing I'm sure about is that we will be outcoached - again.
Let's go the usual keys to handing Adelaide a win they shouldn't have:
1. Poor use of our rucks
2. Not locking down Sloane
3. Leaving their outside players unattended for the easy transition from defense to attack
4. Playing a tall short up forward, allowing an average player to rack up enough intercepts to be an AA and Brownlow lock if they played us every round
5. Act like Eddie has a contagious disease passed by touch and remain 5 feet away at all times

I hate losing to Adelaide, but gee, I'd handle it much better if it wasn't the usual combination of most or all of the above.

Last edited:
Josh Jenkins now expected to return from injury early and get up for the Showdown. Put your house on 6 goals with at least 3 of them to be Joe the Gooses.
Sigh. That was one area I thought we had an advantage.

This feels like a chore to attend on Saturday, I have a perfect attendance record at Showdowns (don't intend to break it), but this really feels like a horrible, horrible afternoon ahead... Might just be super pessimistic after the experiences of the last two away Showdowns (2018's post-gate/Ollie miss and 2017's 84 point loss that really should've been about 130 points if they'd kicked straight), or just general pessimism in the current coaching/playing group, but I have no faith that we'll turn up for 4 quarters and get a result (I expect a bounce after the performance last week, but that might only last a quarter or two), and it's going to be painful to have to stand there again and watch that lot get another one over on us.

We don't mentally turn up for Showdowns, even the one we won off Motlop's (sole) moment was one we essentially threw away in the last 5 minutes after giving them a massive headstart and having to come back from a mile behind... Ken Hinkley in Showdowns is to us what Gary Ayers was to the Crows...

Would love nothing more than to beat them, because lets face it, we aren't going to play finals if we keep playing the way we have been on exposed form (and nothing in the last 5 years has given us any indication that that inconsistency is going to change) so this becomes the biggest game for the season.

Crows by enough

Ah stop ya whinging, it only cost us second spot on the ladder, 2 potential home finals, a potential grand final and maybe a premiership

I'm going to stay home and squeeze the boils off my dogs arse...I can't think of any more exciting things happening this weekend

Ha ha
Just joking..I will be staying home here in Northern Rivers and watching us getting up in a great game before er next weeks capitulation to Brizzy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back