No Oppo Supporters Shrugging a tackle vs ducking

Remove this Banner Ad

I must have read a different article to most

" We have spoken about Joel which is a little unfair in a sense because many players do it . Poppy is probably a ripper for us - its the way they play the game "

"It will impact on Paul Puopolo and James Sicily just as as it will with Joel Sellwood if it is to be changed . Ithink thats whats good for the game "

No bigger fan than me of J Selwood - in past threads ive called him Geelongs greatest ever player ( because with out him - (pre Dangerfield days) - he was the only thing holding Geel together - one of those losing finals to Hawthorn he was outstanding and the only reason Geel remained in the game - where as team mates that night wre fn ordinary

However i didnt like the freekick on Monday ( even though L Mathews said it was the tacklers fault) . The tackler had no hope - because even if he went lower as Joel ducked/or dropped his body - and tackled Joel around the hips - then Selwoods arms are free to hanball it off - so the tackler even if he was Houdini - he had no chance

Christenson was 10 times worse than Selwood when he was at Geel - it was cringeworthy at the time - McClean - Miles Poppy - Shuey ( and got the winning kick in that final last year ) and even Parfitt has got the bailout when in dire trouble - of the old rubber neck

They should be instructed to call it Play on - and no free kick is awarded - i think it would be for the better

Disagree. There are so many instances where now a free kick is given for reckless tackle ... well if you can not tackle without it possible being a concussion incident then ie around the waist.. its borderline reckless ..(at least as much as some of the free kicks given for that) Cant do it properly then do not tackle him. Thats the logic of Clarkson if he thinks its a concussion issue.
The only reason they all went to this high arm tackle was to stop the player getting the ball away.

This tread is one spot above are Geelong Handbaggers,what is the point of it?
It’s Cats fans only. Can’t see the harm in Geelong people being able to have a sensible discussion. For one thing, it’s impossible to do that anywhere else.

It was the midget’s deliberate lie about the number of concussions, and his implication of their cause that was unsavoury.

He was being malicious, and Scott called him out on it.

Good.
Exactly. And thru the sicilly kneeing action towards JS right back at the midget! I'd love to be a fly on the wall when and if scotty makes a call to clarkson.

Of course that boxhead Jon Ralph is fanning the flames and having his each way bet. So a shrug, drop, arm lift or duck is illegal. But here's the rub, Ralph reports that according to Hayden Kennedy, "umpires officiate in real time, rather than slow motion." No sheet, Sherlock.

So Ralph calls for further policing of a rule that essentially falls back on the tackler, unless they want to gamble on an umpires interpretation / vision. Clarkson, the f#cken toe rag, while ignoring the crap in his own nest, has now made that vision all the keener on Joel.

Get back in the barrel Clarko, sour grapes make sour whine.

Bout time Scotty stood up and showed some balls. He’s good a deflecting issues but I think having a crack back at Clarko is honestly the best thing for the players to see. We need to be more ruthless. They all looked to friendly hand shaking and acting like old buddies after the game. Wouldn’t see Chappy and Scarlo doing that.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s Cats fans only. Can’t see the harm in Geelong people being able to have a sensible discussion. For one thing, it’s impossible to do that anywhere else.
What is there to discuss? He's come out & acknowledged that he draws frees intentionally by shrugging his shoulders & dropping his knees years and years ago, and has no remorse about doing it because it's within the rules, e.g.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/selwoods-loophole-20120408-1wjoi.html
It is just that 5 per cent where I can use my upper body strength, I can dip at the knees slightly. But it gets highlighted so much when I do get a free kick because it is high and it has always been a part of our game not to get someone high.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/selwoods-loophole-20120408-1wjoi.html

And the Clarkson suggestion that they not pay high contact is impossibly idiotic. If it's legal to take somebody high when they try to break a tackle, smart dirty coaches like Clarkson will have their players tackling at the highest point of the shoulders and sliding upwards unless the ball is disposed of immediately. You're effectively making it illegal to take the tackler on, on pain of getting your head ripped off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good on ya Coac

I always try and explain that hes only trying to break the tackle and most of the time he is already playing on when he gets a free kick, he has clearly shrugged the tackle

Disagree ( and this is my last comment on it ) - 80% of the time i havent got a problem with it - and he does win the hard ball and gets belted in the process

However alot of times - when he shrugs and trys to break free of the tackle ( and often he has broken free - so the free kick is irrelevant ) - the opposition players hand goes over the shoulder

However on Monday it was different - he saw the Hawthorn bloke - and he dropped his knees - he lowered his body - there no blooody shrug of the shoulders at all - that didnt cause that high tackle - it was him dropping / lowering / collapsing his body

There's been so much melting about this all week.

It seems incredibly straightforward to me (and to champions of the game) - if your tackle leads to a free kick, it's a bad tackle.

Tackle lower.

Joel's clearly not doing it for the free, he's *constantly* playing on after breaking the tackle. If a free is paid, it's hardly his fault.

i actually think the arm raise is sometimes used by joel to simply draw a free. the one against hawthorn last week that resulted in a goal from a 50 was not an attempt to break the tackle and keep going - in my opinion, at least.

im fine with it, and i think its smart play. and yes, he sometimes does use it to break a tackle. but it is also a neat way of getting an unpressured kick, and is sometimes used by joel in that way.
Except the first time he did it, he played on, the he was tackled again and was ready to play through it. Whistle.

100%

That is, it would annoy the s**t out of me that there is an opposition player that is basically incapable of being tackled fairly and for that reason gets a s**t-tonne of frees.

That’s what’s going on here. Stop dressing it up as concern for his health of “spirit of the game” or anything else. It’s bloody annoying when you’re powerless against an opposition player
I don't think they're powerless, though - that's what gets me.

Levi Greenwood could have a pretty good side gig teaching "tackling Selwood" classes.

So what if he gets the handball off when you tackle him around the hips, is that better than potentially giving a free from lazy/weak tackling up higher?

He's not untacklable.

Except the first time he did it, he played on, the he was tackled again and was ready to play through it. Whistle.

yeah, sometimes he takes the high contact simply for a free, sometimes he breaks the tackles, takes the contact, and keeps going.

The way this gets framed as the "does Selwood duck?" debate is an absurdity. It's not a "debate" if there's an objective answer to the question. There are right and wrong answers, and it's not like the right answer is particularly hard to understand. He has a shrugging technique that is within the rules. People don't get to "have an opinion" on that, they either engage with reality and accept it as a basic fact or they don't, in which case they openly declare themselves to be an utter moron.
Too many opposition snowflakes ;)

yeah, sometimes he takes the high contact simply for a free, sometimes he breaks the tackles, takes the contact, and keeps going.
More the latter than the former, I reckon.

Nobody wants to stop the game up and let defenders get back/in position.

95% of the time playing on is the best option.

I don't think they're powerless, though - that's what gets me.

Levi Greenwood could have a pretty good side gig teaching "tackling Selwood" classes.

So what if he gets the handball off when you tackle him around the hips, is that better than potentially giving a free from lazy/weak tackling up higher?

He's not untacklable.
Good point. I actually contradicted myself as I said that the problem is tackling technique.

Also the only time one of Clarkson's snipers had the guts to front up to Selwood man to man he got his little hairpiece knocked right off.
Pack of tryhard ******s are the Haawfs.
[MOD EDIT - ABUSIVE LANGUAGE WILL GET YOU BANNED]

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back