Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Really???
Sandwiched between two Brisbane players at the top of the square with a bouncing ball and he jumps and punches it through for a point.
I have seen much much much more obvious ones with much less pressure not paid.
Because it rarely get's paid you would expect it to be a blindlingly obvious one when it is, this wasn't.

Nothing said about it that I can see anywhere. Had the game of been in the balance it could have been a very different story.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Yes agreed technically by the letter of the law it was a correct decision.
Why does it not get paid more often?
For the 1 or 2 they pay in a year that was far from the most obvious I have seen this year.
As noted on another thread what happens when the goal square is enlarged next year?
Does this law get tweaked again?
Can you only rush a pressured behind inside the front half of the goal square?
Will there be another line in the goal square or a shaded area where you can do it from. A grey area just like the rule itself.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
As per the written rules of the game it was the correct decision. Unfortunately the written rules don’t apply to all rules. Another 30-40 head high, without the ball, incorrect disposals missed as they are in every game.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As per the written rules of the game it was the correct decision. Unfortunately the written rules don’t apply to all rules. Another 30-40 head high, without the ball, incorrect disposals missed as they are in every game.

Do you think potentially someone obviously thumping it through from outside the goalsquare is a bit easier to see than a missed handball or slightly high tackle in the middle of 15-20 players?

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really???
Sandwiched between two Brisbane players at the top of the square with a bouncing ball and he jumps and punches it through for a point.
I have seen much much much more obvious ones with much less pressure not paid.
Because it rarely get's paid you would expect it to be a blindlingly obvious one when it is, this wasn't.

Nothing said about it that I can see anywhere. Had the game of been in the balance it could have been a very different story.

How so? When you're outside the goalsquare, there's no need for pressure to be applied. Therefore it is blindingly obviously a free kick.

The ones inside the goalsquare region are the ones with interpretation required and perhaps the ones you are thinking of. But 'pressure' is a grey area, distance out is not.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why does it not get paid more often?

Because very few rushed behinds come from outside the goalsquare.

As noted on another thread what happens when the goal square is enlarged next year?
Does this law get tweaked again?

I imagine they keep the 9 meter rule but the umpires have to guess-timate it themselves rather than use the goalsquare as a yardstick

Can you only rush a pressured behind inside the front half of the goal square?

Yes pretty much.

Will there be another line in the goal square or a shaded area where you can do it from. A grey area just like the rule itself.

Not really a grey area, just a general lack of misunderstanding of the rules by AFL fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back