Sick Bay (Or what ails you)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was in bed from 7pm last night till 11.30am, fully clothed and unable to clean my teeth etc. Had a fever, headache and a bit of a cough gnawing at my chest and just feeling devoid of energy and have no appetite. Can't think of a worse today to feel ill. I have a dentist appointment on Wednesday - I always come down with something before a dentist appointment. It's not covid. Anyone else had anything similar? Cancelled my dog walks. Will probably go back to bed again soon.

I was in bed from 7pm last night till 11.30am, fully clothed and unable to clean my teeth etc. Had a fever, headache and a bit of a cough gnawing at my chest and just feeling devoid of energy and have no appetite. Can't think of a worse today to feel ill. I have a dentist appointment on Wednesday - I always come down with something before a dentist appointment. It's not covid. Anyone else had anything similar? Cancelled my dog walks. Will probably go back to bed again soon.
Flu?
They say it’s a bad one this year and of course over the last few years numbers have been down because people have been getting the vaccine. Now people are vaccine weary and are not getting the injection.

Flu?
They say it’s a bad one this year and of course over the last few years numbers have been down because people have been getting the vaccine. Now people are vaccine weary and are not getting the injection.
Can't remember feeling worse in a long long time, but suddenly tonight came good! Got a bit of a chest cough, but aches and fever are negligible. I think staying in bed almost 24 hrs straight helped, but it must have been a short term virus. I got the flu injection last year and will get one now for this year. I've just had my covid booster.

Can't remember feeling worse in a long long time, but suddenly tonight came good! Got a bit of a chest cough, but aches and fever are negligible. I think staying in bed almost 24 hrs straight helped, but it must have been a short term virus. I got the flu injection last year and will get one now for this year. I've just had my covid booster.
The bloody flu is a moving beast.
My doc suggests waiting for the shot as the later the better the vaccine is. But that’s a game of Russian roulette.
Sounds like you copped a 24 hour bug/flu. Glad you’re feeling better.

P.S. I need a covid booster but up here I know need to get it at the local chemist, who only do it on a Thursday morning. Simply can’t get away from work at the moment due to staffing issues.
To get it in Shepp now you need to drive into the CBD, find a park then go to a building in a “walk” mall.
So different to just 12 months ago where you couldn’t walk around the corner without getting a shot!

The bloody flu is a moving beast.
My doc suggests waiting for the shot as the later the better the vaccine is. But that’s a game of Russian roulette.
Sounds like you copped a 24 hour bug/flu. Glad you’re feeling better.

P.S. I need a covid booster but up here I know need to get it at the local chemist, who only do it on a Thursday morning. Simply can’t get away from work at the moment due to staffing issues.
To get it in Shepp now you need to drive into the CBD, find a park then go to a building in a “walk” mall.
So different to just 12 months ago where you couldn’t walk around the corner without getting a shot!
The 24 hr bug absolutely grounded me. Bedridden in my clothes, uncleansed, unable to eat, aches, feverish (not much of a cough) - now I have just reheated last night's dinner that ended up in the fridge. It's fortunate, because the illness plus the weather seemed interwoven, I was feeling desperate, wondering if I would make the dentist appointment on Wednesday, whether I'd see tomorrow. Then suddenly, the worst just lifts and life is once again what it always is, usually anyway.

After 2 dud tests in which the liquid wouldn't absorb or whatever into the tester, 3rd time today it worked and I have covid. Initially 4 days ago at the outset it registered negative. Explains all the aches. Just had my fifth shot 2 weeks back.
Considering your level of vaccination the seriousness of the symptoms is concerning. The vax is supposed to reduce the effect of the symptoms, but your's seem pretty bad. I'm off to get my 5th this morning before I travel to Vietnam in May.

Considering your level of vaccination the seriousness of the symptoms is concerning. The vax is supposed to reduce the effect of the symptoms, but your's seem pretty bad. I'm off to get my 5th this morning before I travel to Vietnam in May.
I am a little surprised. The symptoms are worse than I had imagined. The first 24 hours was horrendous. I am just out of bed at 9.50am and have not ever I don't think spent so much time in bed, then slept so well but felt so tired on awakening. I am leaving for Thailand in June.

I am a little surprised. The symptoms are worse than I had imagined. The first 24 hours was horrendous. I am just out of bed at 9.50am and have not ever I don't think spent so much time in bed, then slept so well but felt so tired on awakening. I am leaving for Thailand in June.
I really feel for you TGG.

Like you I was fully vaxed but then in November, I was feeling flu like for about a week. Tested but was negative.

Then one night, bang, aches and pains, vomiting and like getting hit by a vehicle. Tested for Covid - positive.

Rang my GP who put me on the antiviral medication (should have taken it earlier) but I think it was too late as it really didn't help I think. Was positive for over 2 weeks. Was a bit amusing me testing almost daily as soon as I was felling a bit better. Like testing for pregnancy and hoping for a different result.

Even had to ring ambulance as my breathing was difficult, gave me a puffer to help as I didn't want to go to hospital.

Try getting rest and keep up fluids.

Like you I was fully vaxed but then in November, I was feeling flu like for about a week. Tested but was negative.

Then one night, bang, aches and pains, vomiting and like getting hit by a vehicle. Tested for Covid - positive.

Rang my GP who put me on the antiviral medication (should have taken it earlier) but I think it was too late as it really didn't help I think. Was positive for over 2 weeks. Was a bit amusing me testing almost daily as soon as I was felling a bit better. Like testing for pregnancy and hoping for a different result.

Even had to ring ambulance as my breathing was difficult, gave me a puffer to help as I didn't want to go to hospital.

Thanks Maggie. I am being told by someone I should get the anti virals but figure it's probably too late. I liked your comment about the testing! Believe me I am getting plenty or rest. It's all a bit of a throwback to lockdown days - nowhere to go, nothing to do, locked in the apartment etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Maggie. I am being told by someone I should get the anti virals but figure it's probably too late. I liked your comment about the testing! Believe me I am getting plenty or rest. It's all a bit of a throwback to lockdown days - nowhere to go, nothing to do, locked in the apartment etc.
I think it is too late for the anti viral, needs to be taken as soon as symptoms appear. Sadly like you kept going thinking it was a cold or similar.

Yes, plenty of rest, fluids (soup, fruit juice etc). I also took/am taking vitamins and drinking purple fruit juice daily. (Pomegranate, berries) as don't want to get it again.

So Vaccine did not work then

Ha ha, no. And supposedly I had the most up to date vaccine for my fifth shot. I tested positive today, but after reading the Victorian health site information, I am resuming my dog minding and walking tomorrow. My symptoms are disappearing rapidly and a negative result is not required to go outside again.

Times have changed. I minded a dog over December. The owner flew into New Zealand on the 22 Dec and tested positive on arrival, though feeling OK. She then came down with symptoms, and spent holiday time with the family isolating. On the 27th, the day of her scheduled departure, she tested negative and flew back to Melbourne, then a day later flew to Bali.

If that is good enough for the airlines and international borders, then 5 days indoors is enough for me. I will test myself out of interest, but that is not a requirement. The world is again my oyster. Besides, I have no rice.

Ha ha, no. And supposedly I had the most up to date vaccine for my fifth shot. I tested positive today, but after reading the Victorian health site information, I am resuming my dog minding and walking tomorrow. My symptoms are disappearing rapidly and a negative result is not required to go outside again.

Times have changed. I minded a dog over December. The owner flew into New Zealand on the 22 Dec and tested positive on arrival, though feeling OK. She then came down with symptoms, and spent holiday time with the family isolating. On the 27th, the day of her scheduled departure, she tested negative and flew back to Melbourne, then a day later flew to Bali.

If that is good enough for the airlines and international borders, then 5 days indoors is enough for me. I will test myself out of interest, but that is not a requirement. The world is again my oyster. Besides, I have no rice.
I’ve got some spare donkey worming tablets down the back shed, happy to post if that’s any assistance

They'd probably work as well as the vaccines. Have you recently offloaded a donkey or two?
Actually yes, two donkeys, they are both down Portland way now. Life changed a bit, but they in great place on a proper farm that’s way drier, not as lush grass... that’s a good thing for donkeys, and with another ten or so donks for company

Actually yes, two donkeys, they are both down Portland way now. Life changed a bit, but they in great place on a proper farm that’s way drier, not as lush grass... that’s a good thing for donkeys, and with another ten or so donks for company
What do donkeys in this country do to earn their keep? They wouldn't be working animals, and no one is going to eat them, so I imagine keeping them is largely a charitable operation. Or am I wrong?

What do donkeys in this country do to earn their keep? They wouldn't be working animals, and no one is going to eat them, so I imagine keeping them is largely a charitable operation. Or am I wrong?
Well for me tg, both were rescue donks, ie not in a great shape and needing a home. Now no real work as such, but for the fifteen years that I had them, super great with kids, kept my frail elderly mum super amused, not bad at keeping foxes away, pretty good at guarding young cattle from wondering dogs, enjoyed many a beer with me....... yeah ok, more like pets I guess

Well for me tg, both were rescue donks, ie not in a great shape and needing a home. Now no real work as such, but for the fifteen years that I had them, super great with kids, kept my frail elderly mum super amused, not bad at keeping foxes away, pretty good at guarding young cattle from wondering dogs, enjoyed many a beer with me....... yeah ok, more like pets I guess
Any photos of you and them sinking a few beers together? That would be worth seeing!

You must be a farmer. :rolleyes: (Or have been)

Any photos of you and them sinking a few beers together? That would be worth seeing!

You must be a farmer. :rolleyes: (Or have been)
Nah, no farmer here tg, that would require earning an income from land. But, live and previous lived on 10 to 20 acres.

We got a new pup, guessing she is pushing 50kgs, she loves a can of coopers green, if shared a pic, might get a visit from rspca, but hey, she drinks responsibly and she’s not pregnant

Well yes and no.

Like the flu, covid is now a continually evolving beast. Changing to combat whatever defences we throw at it.
So in this case it has outsmarted the vaccine, so yes the vaccine didn't work to stop GG getting covid.
But..... GG is still alive and not hospitalised. So yes, the vaccine did work as intended. That intention has always been to prevent hospitalisation and lessen the risk of death.
Despite the crap GG is now going through, its a win.

Well yes and no.

Like the flu, covid is now a continually evolving beast. Changing to combat whatever defences we throw at it.
So in this case it has outsmarted the vaccine, so yes the vaccine didn't work to stop GG getting covid.
But..... GG is still alive and not hospitalised. So yes, the vaccine did work as intended. That intention has always been to prevent hospitalisation and lessen the risk of death.
Despite the crap GG is now going through, its a win.
But GG might have suffered the same symptoms without the vaccine. GG doesn't know and will never know. And GG was vaccinated with the latest mix 3 weeks before.

GG is a bit sniffly today on day 6 but otherwise recovered and has been out of the apartment wearing a mask to collect a dog from the upper floor. The owners could not find an alternative minder and according to the Vic Health guidelines, GG can move about a bit now while being cautious not to spread what still remains of the plague. I will do a RAT test later, but a negative test is not a requirement on the Vic Health site to leave isolation. Loss of symptoms and 5 days isolation is all that's requested of sufferers.

In many ways, covid is preferable to the flu. There has been little in the way of coughing, though had a runny nose and sneezing. The flu or a cold would linger for weeks, even months after in the form of a hacking cough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back