Sick Bay (Or what ails you)

Have had this incredible pain in my arm and hand since 1st Jan and being the silly person I am thought it was muscular and put dencorub on and massaged.

The pain got increasingly worse so decided to take some Endone that was leftover for previous pain management. The pain did not improve so decided to go to the doctor on Monday. Sadly my doctor is on holidays and saw another one in the surgery. She has diagnosed Shingles and has given me Zelitres for the Shingles and Lyrica (75mg) for the pain. The Lyrica is making me slur my words and very unsteady and the pain is still there. Pain is so bad I am also back to taking an Endone as well. Two Endone and Lyrica at night.

I seriously don't think I have ever experienced such pain neither in childbirth nor when I had my heart attack.

What I can't understand is how she diagnosed by looking at it as it is only one red spot about the size of a ten cent coin. I thought it was more than that.

Going back on Friday.

Has anyone else had shingles and is the pain this bad. How long before it goes away?

Last edited:
I have not by my Aunty Had it and she was in Quarantine in her Nursing home for a Few Weeks.
That is another point, don't know if I can spread it. Anyway, not up to going out anywhere nor driving with the tablets I am taking.

That is another point, don't know if I can spread it. Anyway, not up to going out anywhere nor driving with the tablets I am taking.

You can Spread it and that why she was in Quarantine so no one else would get Shingles.

I better check with the doctor on this and how it is spread. I don't touch the spot as can't reach it and it is not blistering or anything, just a red mark.
In fact I can't even see it, had a friend take a photo of it.

Have had this incredible pain in my arm and hand since 1st Jan and being the silly person I am thought it was muscular and put dencorub on and massaged.

The pain got increasingly worse so decided to take some Endone that I was leftover for previous pain management. The pain did not improve so decided to go to the doctor on Monday. Sadly my doctor is on holidays and saw another one in the surgery. She has diagnosed Shingles and has given me Zelitres for the Shingles and Lyrica (75mg) for the pain. The Lyrica is making me slur my words and very unsteady and the pain is still there. Pain is so bad I am also back to taking an Endone as well. Two Endone and Lyrica at night.

I seriously don't think I have ever experienced such pain neither in childbirth nor when I had my heart attack.

What I can't understand is how she diagnosed by looking at it as it is only one red spot about the size of a ten cent coin. I thought it was more than that.

Going back on Friday.

Has anyone else had shingles and is the pain this bad. How long before it goes away?
Hope you're ok Maggie.
Everyone I know who's had shingles says the pain is excruciating.
take care

I better check with the doctor on this and how it is spread. I don't touch the spot as can't reach it and it is not blistering or anything, just a red mark.

My Auntie's Red Spot was in her Eye

If it's causing you stress Maggie it can't hurt to get a second opinion. I hope you're feeling better soon!
Thanks Quirky, getting one tomorrow. Driving me crazy and i have a pretty high tolerance of pain.
Using my left hand to type.

You cannot catch shingles from someone who has shingles. But, if you have not had chickenpox you can catch chickenpox by being in direct contact with fluid on the blisters of someone who has shingles.

Dr Temploar, FRACGP, Masters degree in WebMD, Bachelor's degree in Google searching.

You cannot catch shingles from someone who has shingles. But, if you have not had chickenpox you can catch chickenpox by being in direct contact with fluid on the blisters of someone who has shingles.

Dr Temploar, FRACGP, Masters degree in WebMD, Bachelor's degree in Google searching.
Thanks Doc, what about if you have been immunized against small pox? Thinking of the grandkids.
I read it but found it confusing, maybe it is the drugs?

Thanks Doc, what about if you have been immunized against small pox? Thinking of the grandkids.
I read it but found it confusing, maybe it is the drugs?

So basically from what I've read... Shingles is a re-activation of the Chickenpox virus that normally happens after 40.

Once your body overcomes chickenpox (as a child), it lays dormant in your spinal cord and is prone to "re-activating"

Shingles itself is not contagious but the chickenpox virus that causes shingles is, therefore at this present moment you CAN spread Chickenpox to people that have not had chickenpox before if they come into contact with your blisters or any residue from them.

As far as smallpox goes, from what I have read, there is no link between the two and you SHOULD be safe, but It's your grandkids and I don't want to say anything smart about what I read on the internet just an hour ago. I'd err on the side of caution and stay away from them for now, as hard as it is.

Best of luck, hope you get well soon.

Greening Magic

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I had shingles 18 months ago Maggie.
My pain was confined to constant headaches for a couple of weeks and the shakes and then the blisters appeared on my forehead.
I was advised to stay away from pregnant woman as it can be contagious (although only if person comes in contact with burst blisters) and they are at higher risk obviously with an unborn child.
I ended up taking 2 weeks off work.
I was told by the doctor that each case of shingles can vary in severity and yours seems more severe than mine.
All the best with your recovery.

So basically from what I've read... Shingles is a re-activation of the Chickenpox virus that normally happens after 40.

Once your body overcomes chickenpox (as a child), it lays dormant in your spinal cord and is prone to "re-activating"

Shingles itself is not contagious but the chickenpox virus that causes shingles is, therefore at this present moment you CAN spread Chickenpox to people that have not had chickenpox before if they come into contact with your blisters or any residue from them.

As far as smallpox goes, from what I have read, there is no link between the two and you SHOULD be safe, but It's your grandkids and I don't want to say anything smart about what I read on the internet just an hour ago. I'd err on the side of caution and stay away from them for now, as hard as it is.

Best of luck, hope you get well soon.
Oh dugs are really getting to me, I meant chicken not small. Facepalm!

Oh dugs are really getting to me, I meant chicken not small. Facepalm!

Bless ya Maggie, you'll be right.

If your grandkids have had chickenpox before / have been immunized. They will not contract it again from your shingles virus.

I had shingles 18 months ago Maggie.
My pain was confined to constant headaches for a couple of weeks and the shakes and then the blisters appeared on my forehead.
I was advised to stay away from pregnant woman as it can be contagious (although only if person comes in contact with burst blisters) and they are at higher risk obviously with an unborn child.
I ended up taking 2 weeks off work.
I was told by the doctor that each case of shingles can vary in severity and yours seems more severe than mine.
All the best with your recovery.
Thank you for the your wishes and info.
That is the strange thing, no blister, just the red mark and unbelievable pain.

Thank you for the your wishes and info.
That is the strange thing, no blister, just the red mark and unbelievable pain.

Hope you recover soon Maggie, sounds like you are doing it tough. All the best.

This is awful news Maggie. I hope you are recovering. I agree with MG, people who I know who have had it reported experiencing excrutiating pain.

While this is probably no comfort for you right now, I understand that people over 70 in Australia can now be innoculated against it, free of cost.

This is awful news Maggie. I hope you are recovering. I agree with MG, people who I know who have had it reported experiencing excrutiating pain.

While this is probably no comfort for you right now, I understand that people over 70 in Australia can now be innoculated against it, free of cost.

My Aunt was Immunized but she still got it

Hey Maggie5 are you okay?
2nd That Maggie5 any updates?
Thank you for asking.
Still in pain but fortunately got a second opinion as I had seen someone with shingles and mine nothing like that.
Doctor seems to think it is bones pressing on nerves in my neck and had a MRI today and will see doctor tomorrow.
Have stopped taking pain killers as I have just been bringing everything up.
Will know more tomorrow afternoon.
Meanwhile would kill for a good nights sleep.

Thank you for asking.
Still in pain but fortunately got a second opinion as I had seen someone with shingles and mine nothing like that.
Doctor seems to think it is bones pressing on nerves in my neck and had a MRI today and will see doctor tomorrow.
Have stopped taking pain killers as I have just been bringing everything up.
Will know more tomorrow afternoon.
Meanwhile would kill for a good nights sleep.

Trip to the Chiro might do wonders for You Maggie5

Trip to the Chiro might do wonders for You Maggie5
Not sure they can help in this case Dave. Just got back from seeing my usual doc and also got the report from MRI.

Seems I have issues with C5 and C6 Vertebrae, compressing on the nerves.

Lot of medical jargon to do with exit foramia are severely stenosed. (the narrowing of the cervical disc space caused by enlargement of a joint).

Going to see a neurosurgeon but sadly age and arthritis may have done its damage. Anyway, not taking any more tablets, put me on pain patches.

Back