Society & Culture Sick leave

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Anybody ever taken a day off using sick leave when you're not actually sick cos you can?

I have 8 days up my sleeve and plan on doing this in a few weeks just cos. I've had one sick day all year, and I thought with that much, why should I use an annual day when I want to save it?

Obviously unethical/immoral. But it doesn't bother me.

I will never use all my sick leave and I don't get it paid out if I resign.

Over to you, chaps and lasses.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've always been a strong believer of only taking sick days when you're actually sick. But the way things have been going lately I'm really starting to question that.

I have only ever taken a sick day when I wasn't sick to get my car serviced. Too much messing about trying to get to work without a car so booked in a "procedure" and told the boss in advance I needed one day off, dropped my car off and did some stuff around the house for the day, was a very productive day.

I say do it. In fact my car is due for a service again next month so I might join you.

Nov 24, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I generally take a few a year where I am not really sick, but could just do with a good sleep in and a lazy day to refresh myself. Wouldn't ever be more than 2 or 3 a year. At my work we accrue sick leave at a ridiculous rate (I've been here nearly 3 years now and have over 30 days sick leave accrued) but I don't get sick very often, so I might as well use some of it.

Anybody ever taken a day off using sick leave when you're not actually sick cos you can?

I have 8 days up my sleeve and plan on doing this in a few weeks just cos. I've had one sick day all year, and I thought with that much, why should I use an annual day when I want to save it?

Obviously unethical/immoral. But it doesn't bother me.

I will never use all my sick leave and I don't get it paid out if I resign.

Over to you, chaps and lasses.

The number one focus in a business should be the mental health of the people within the organisation.

We have a rule in all our organisations that, if you are coming to work and feel your day would be more productive "going for a run around the river", then don't come in. Just sms in, keep your phone handy and delegate if required.

Employees repay the organisation many times over as they are happier, appreciate the flexibility and are more productive when they are in the office or work from home. Best of all management don't have to manage employees as they self regulate as individuals and as a team.

Is your boss open to providing employees with flexibility and a modern work culture?

Last edited:
I did it Monday. We get 10 days per year so I have about 23 days accrued at the moment (been at the company for almost 3 years).

Karma is im actually sick now but I would rather be sick at work than at home

I hardly ever take them and keep myself healthy, why should I have less days off than some whale who gorges on fast food everyday only to inevitably get all sorts of illnesses due to poor lifestyle?

I'll take about 2-3 sick days per year, 1 of those would be feeling a little run down / tired I could normally work through but choose not to.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Back in the day we used to have a bonus system that rewarded people who didnt take sick days. I didnt take any that year and scored a few hundred dollars.

So many people take them these days when they arent sick. Its funny when they are stupid enough to let facebook reveal what they are really doing though

I've used a fair few this year because of depression issues I've been having. obviously helps having a boss who is very understanding of my situation, rates mental health very importantly

prior to this year, I haven't used a lot. we get 15 a year, only need a cert if we take more than 3 days off in a row

Sep 24, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
prior to this year, I haven't used a lot. we get 15 a year, only need a cert if we take more than 3 days off in a row
3 day policy is good. More than one day off and needing a cert is s**t, especially if i have a cold. Usually takes 2 days to recover, and it's a pain in the ass getting a cert for a bloody sniffle

Back