Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

In my experience your relationship with your employer and your direct manager determines the need for a certificate and how trustworthy they will see you. My boss is in Melbourne today I'm in the office on my own, got here at 8am and will stay til I get all my stuff done (probs 6-6.30pm). I had a day off on a Monday a few weeks back, texted at 7.30am, no questions when I came in the next day. I'm sure there are exceptions here (MEB_ mentioned her work requiring them regardless I think)

FWIW I would be a total advocate for the implementation and normalisation of the mental health day, legit sometimes you just need it.

In my experience your relationship with your employer and your direct manager determines the need for a certificate and how trustworthy they will see you. My boss is in Melbourne today I'm in the office on my own, got here at 8am and will stay til I get all my stuff done (probs 6-6.30pm). I had a day off on a Monday a few weeks back, texted at 7.30am, no questions when I came in the next day. I'm sure there are exceptions here (MEB_ mentioned her work requiring them regardless I think)

FWIW I would be a total advocate for the implementation and normalisation of the mental health day, legit sometimes you just need it.
Yeah, it's up to the workplace to set a policy. HBF's work, for example, doesn't require a cert for a single day unless it's a Mon or Fri. My workplace needs a cert for any absence.

My workmate told me her experience taking leave to go to her cousins funeral.

Took a day off for the funeral, then a day for the burial. (was miles away from Melbourne)

The next day she got hauled into the APs office and got told off.

Srsly.

It's completely out of whack. And then when I call up to take a carer's day to help out when my partner has been up all night with the baby, it's no questions asked and when I enter it in the system, it says I still have like 150-something hours remaining of carer's leave (and I've only been in my current job for just over a year). I don't take advantage of it, but seriously would consider it, next time I have to go to a funeral or something.

I have 5 income streams so if I have to take a day without pay for whatever reason (maybe my hands are dry) it really doesn't effect me, would hate to be in a position where no matter how sick you are you have to work unless you can't afford to eat.

It's completely out of whack. And then when I call up to take a carer's day to help out when my partner has been up all night with the baby, it's no questions asked and when I enter it in the system, it says I still have like 150-something hours remaining of carer's leave (and I've only been in my current job for just over a year). I don't take advantage of it, but seriously would consider it, next time I have to go to a funeral or something.

I have a mate here at work- his wife is sick on/off with cancer. He has a tonne of sick/carers leave. We keep telling him he's nuts and should use it- but he won't. We do think it might be his way of coping, to come to work tho.

They are taking a trip next year tho. I just hope it isn't too late..

It does seem a waste of time.

Maybe a retired doctor could set up a surgery that deals only in certificates? Charge $10 a pop, churn through 200 in a day. :thumbsu:

I mentioned earlier in the thread the National Home Doctor Service is gold for certificates only. However, in the past year, they've gone from starting at 6pm to something like 10pm, which sucks if you have young kids. I believe I heard something about some pharmacies doing certificates as well.

Seriously though, the last time I went to a practice for a certificate, the thing was something that I'd be able to whip up in 30 seconds in word. No logo, nothing.

Yeah it depends. I work in the VPS and our organisation, which has 250-300 staff, has its own HR team of about six, who broadly work in the same team as me. But they have to forward all the leave and pay stuff off to the big department HR team, who wouldn't have a clue who I was. Hence, I take a day off to attend a 38 week scan for my partner who is obviously heavily pregnant and if it was up to the team that I see every day, it would be no worries. But ultimately, it's up to an HR team who works in a different building and they come back to our guys to ask where the attendance certificate is. And by the time they've asked, weeks have passed since I took the day (I'm probably off on paternity leave FFS) and there's no way that they'd issue an attendance certificate that far after the date.

The flipside is when you do submit a leave request, you could probably upload a blank PDF and as long as they see there's an attachment, they'd probably never even open it to look at it, considering they'd have hundreds each day.

I've been at my current job about 14 months and have around 7 sick days accured. I haven't been seriously 'sick' for that period but have taken days off when I've woken up not feeling 100%. I just email my boss in the morning and all is good. No certificate needed unless it's more than one day.

My boss is pretty good though. I've had a couple of appointments in the past for physio during work times and I've tried to use an hour of annual leave so I can attend these, but he always says to just use sick leave instead.

I took a day and a half last week. Copped a bad cold Sunday, probably could have gone in Monday but with my 12 days sick leave, I thought bugger it, taking it off (hadn't had a sick day in 6 months mind you). Came to work Tuesday and felt like ass, went home at 12.30.

No longer am I gonna come in even if I know I probably could if I am unwell. If I am not 100%, I am not coming in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been at my current job 14 months, haven't had a single sick day. Gave notice last Monday and of course I think I've got Gastro this week. Came in yesterday and today but I'm stuck on the shitter.

An hour to go and my 8 hours is up so I'll be calling my boss and saying I'm heading home.

The guy im working with finishes up on Friday though and just called my boss to say 'Hey mate I think RU_ gave me his stomach bug so I'm heading home'.

(No set finish times - usually 10-12 hour days).

Yep that's right. SO many queries have come back with the response that the doctor doesn't work that day, the medical centre was closed, that person is not a patient of this clinic etc.

I would have to assume that there is a level of suspicion with those staff members before you bother making the call about it?

While I understand (to a point) why bosses/HR require people to get sick certificates for work, but I tell ya what if they stopped doing that the nation's medical services would be freed up a shitload to actually deal with people who have actual health issues

Some chemists will give a stat dec. if you buy some stuff and have symptoms. Its just a case of finding the right one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back