Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

They have a few names- subs, ETs, relief, replacement.

I use the first two usually.

I used to call them party time at school! I remember one we had in year 8, we had her for a few days and we were being absolute little campaigners to her, having a great time. Until she ran to the co-ordinators office crying, then we all felt like little pricks. Co-ordinator stormed in, gave us a half hour bake that Denis Pagan would have been proud of, she came back and we were angels for the rest of the day.

MEB_ you might be able to answer this- a workmate relayed this story to my this morning.

She let her AP know she needed carers leave to take her mother to an appointment. She got back: "what time is this appointment- all day?"
I thought they couldnt ask that kind of stuff, she ended up going into great detail about what the appointment was for, etc.

I would have told her to get stuffed it's none of her business*

*not rly

MEB_ you might be able to answer this- a workmate relayed this story to my this morning.

She let her AP know she needed carers leave to take her mother to an appointment. She got back: "what time is this appointment- all day?"
I thought they couldnt ask that kind of stuff, she ended up going into great detail about what the appointment was for, etc.

*not rly
if she provides a certificate then there's nothing they can do about it, but if it's just on an honour system then they're probably within their rights to ask why she needs a whole day for an appointment.

You don't need a reason to request AL or LSL, but the employer and employee have to agree to the leave not being taken in one continuous period.

Sweet as :)

Kay, I'm gonna ask my coordinator first and see what she says. Even if it's a half day, rather than a full day off.

On another note. Reckon the employer has to have proper plans in place. People get sick. It is naive to think 100% attendance 100% of the time. Ironically as I type this I feel bloody sick. I'm literally about to spew.
Very hard for small business to cater for this, you can't carry a yearly wage for a part time person just to cover annual leave and sick leave. Also, getting in labour hire is often more trouble than it is worth. Very dependent on industry as well, if my gf is sick she can work from home and still be relatively productive. If I am sick I can't really do much at home other than answer the phone.

I've never heard the term 'emergency teacher' until this thread. Do you keep them in a glass case or something?

But then I went to school in WA where you used to graduate the year you turned 17.

Lol- no. In a school this big, ETs are needed basically on a daily basis.

They are notified by 7.30-8am I think if they are required. Teachers need to notify the daily organiser no later than 7.30am. I call in as soon as I wake up, like 6ish and leave a message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"But you're not a real teacher" is what I used to get when I was doing relief teaching. Relief teaching is ok as a stop gap measure but would be soul destroying on a long term basis.

*not rly

One time I asked a former employer for a day off for an uncles funeral and was quizzed about time it was and if I could work for 1/2 a day. They later told me I didnt qualify for compassionate leave and that I would have to use annual leave. It told me a lot about the business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back