Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're working 60 hours a week you're either incompetent, or your manager doesn't like you.

Or working at a company operating above capacity.. As I said before, some companies can't afford an extra 80-90k a year salary but that doesn't mean the work disappears.

Or working at a company operating above capacity.. As I said before, some companies can't afford an extra 80-90k a year salary but that doesn't mean the work disappears.
Literally not your problem. Paid for 40 hours, happy to help if the boss is good (will help a few times if this is the case, after that he's on his own without paying). People take the piss with this unpaid extra work because 'it has to be done'.

Companies that expect excessive overtime tend to overlap with those that promise things and don't deliver. Promotions, pay rises etc.

I've seen it plenty of times. People keep toiling away in the hope that the next raise or promotion is around the corner then next minute someone new is hired on more money and just does the bare minimum.

The work has to get done by someone and leaving early/on time and letting your manager stay behind to get it done doesn't help anyone down the line. It's a team at the end of the day and some of the attitudes in here are pretty staggering.

I think you shouldn't do it. Because work needs to be done and it is not being honest. I think it is wrong as you will leave you're company with having short notice to find a replacement. It makes them understaffed and they lose out on money and profits by the reduction of production. It really isn't fair on them so you should work forever and never be sick. After all it's your life and the company you work for makes you money to live a comfortable life. Dont risk it by taking sick days.
You need to be working for that comfortable life you want not taking sick days and being at home having fun and doing the things you want. You must work to have fun.

Said no one ever.

The work has to get done by someone and leaving early/on time and letting your manager stay behind to get it done doesn't help anyone down the line. It's a team at the end of the day and some of the attitudes in here are pretty staggering.
Rest assured 99% of the managers you have in your work life are not going to care this much about you. Have fun working long hours for no extra while those of us wise to these facts are on the beach, at the pub, at home etc whilst earning the same as you because you're doing it for free anyway

As I said, happy to help out a few times in emergencies but when it becomes expected and/or regular, they can find new plans, or pay me. Really isn't that difficult

I've worked for a company (ASX listed) that actively looks for this attitude when hiring.
They're a low margin business. If they paid market rates they'd probably be under administration. But they love a good pep talk about loyalty and culture.
=========================================

(Generally speaking)
There's always too much work to be done, definitely in my line anyway. Need to make peace with that. And be able to tell the difference between work that must be done and work that could be done. Always take the 40 hour week when it presents itself. Because some weeks it doesn't.

This "take the laptop home with you" is getting a stink about it too.

I've worked for a company (ASX listed) that actively looks for this attitude when hiring.
They're a low margin business. If they paid market rates they'd probably be under administration. But they love a good pep talk about loyalty and culture.
=========================================

(Generally speaking)
There's always too much work to be done, definitely in my line anyway. Need to make peace with that. And be able to tell the difference between work that must be done and work that could be done. Always take the 40 hour week when it presents itself. Because some weeks it doesn't.

This "take the laptop home with you" is getting a stink about it too.

Yeah I don't take my laptop home anymore, only did that at Big 4 where I got associated perks (could order in dinner and get a cab home if I was working).

imo if you feel the need to work overtime excessively then either you're workload is too high/ your work place is understaffed or you don't manage time or prioritise well

My workplace are pretty big on work life balance and I very rarely ever stay back late. The only time I do is if I'm going to the footy or going out somewhere after and not going back home first.

imo if you feel the need to work overtime excessively then either you're workload is too high/ your work place is understaffed or you don't manage time or prioritise well

My workplace are pretty big on work life balance and I very rarely ever stay back late. The only time I do is if I'm going to the footy or going out somewhere after and not going back home first.

Also depends on the type of role, I find.

My particular branch/workplace used to be all about putting the business ahead of your own life. Not in the way where they say it to your face, but subtle things.

They have a BOH/Time in Lieu system. It's a good system in theory. Problem is, on winter people would not be rostered for their contracted hours. Full timer on 38 hour weeks? We're gonna put you on 28 hour weeks for June. So now the full timer owes the business 40 hours. Ridiculous as it is. But when do they want you to work them back? Over December and January of course. Yes it's busy time but they used to expect you to drop your entire life around holiday season to work back 40 hours because they wouldn't give you your contract in winter. If you're a full timer with kids and literally any other commitments, it is impossible to work that back. The new EBA will be putting a stop to this rort at least.

I dunno, I just think in a progressive society, managers need to take responsibility that people aren't working sick and upsetting those around them. A lot of people here telling others to not be a hero, but has anyone actually done anything about it in a helpful and constructive way, not a narky one? I doubt it.

When I was in management I exhausted every opportunity to get someone replaced for the remainder of their shift if they came in not feeling well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to start early, finish dead on time (or maybe 5-15 minutes over ?) most days. I do it because I enjoy it.... other workers don't see why ? I guess I just take some pride in what I do (give 110% while being there, others may give 50-60%).

In terms of sick leave I'm of the view that unless I can't roll out of bed (has happened a few times) I can still turn up for work. I've turned up for work even with a side splitting headache, sore throats and the occasional cold. Even though I'm slower when I'm sick, I'm still one of the more productive employees :p. And the place generally falls apart when I'm not there. I've got more than enough sick leave in the event of breaking an arm or a leg I'll be fine :D. Over the last 5 years I've averaged less than 3 sick days off per year.

I had a chest infection one year, I probably should have had 3 weeks off (even more as I didn't feel fully 100% for 5 ish weeks)....................... I had 5 days off. I came back far too early, but still soldiered on.

Similar with annual leave, I try to have all of January off. In the past I was able to get away with having time off starting with Christmas eve off and not return until the first or second week of February. I guess I never outgrew the school summer holiday period (it's pretty rad, good weather, good sports to watch - tennis being the main reason why I enjoy the January period!).

However because I'm highly valued at both of the jobs I do, getting the time off approved can be a huge hurdle as I'm too valuable to lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so? Anyone who is full-time rather than casual can "afford" to have a sick day because they get paid anyway...
Casual employees get the same as perm where i am, perms get leave etc, casuals get a higher rate
So we are actually on the same annually...in fact the casual loading has now gone up so casuals are on more annually
Used to have a casual who would whinge his ass off about not getting sick leave "oh its alright for u perms getting sick leave and holidays"
Lol you take home more a week u ******* moron to do the same job...try saving that 25% extra u get in your pay dumbass
Not every house has carpet? Vacuums are clunky on wood. Also... it’s better for the environment, cheaper to sweep and it’s more physical exercise. Fmd.
More physical exercise to hold a broom thats a kilo compared to push a vaccuum around thats 100% heavier???
Brooms push dust in the air
Vaccuums all the way

* working overtime for no pay
U want my services, u pay me

I do ten hrs a day during the week for about 70%+ for the year plus prob two or three weekends a month...
Weekly waged, u will pay me

I tend to start early, finish dead on time (or maybe 5-15 minutes over ?) most days. I do it because I enjoy it.... other workers don't see why ? I guess I just take some pride in what I do (give 110% while being there, others may give 50-60%).

In terms of sick leave I'm of the view that unless I can't roll out of bed (has happened a few times) I can still turn up for work. I've turned up for work even with a side splitting headache, sore throats and the occasional cold. Even though I'm slower when I'm sick, I'm still one of the more productive employees :p. And the place generally falls apart when I'm not there. I've got more than enough sick leave in the event of breaking an arm or a leg I'll be fine :D. Over the last 5 years I've averaged less than 3 sick days off per year.

I had a chest infection one year, I probably should have had 3 weeks off (even more as I didn't feel fully 100% for 5 ish weeks)....................... I had 5 days off. I came back far too early, but still soldiered on.

Similar with annual leave, I try to have all of January off. In the past I was able to get away with having time off starting with Christmas eve off and not return until the first or second week of February. I guess I never outgrew the school summer holiday period (it's pretty rad, good weather, good sports to watch - tennis being the main reason why I enjoy the January period!).

However because I'm highly valued at both of the jobs I do, getting the time off approved can be a huge hurdle as I'm too valuable to lose.
What do you get for this? It's not really an achievement, particularly if you're actually sick.

Also, what lines of work are you in?

Casual employees get the same as perm where i am, perms get leave etc, casuals get a higher rate
So we are actually on the same annually...in fact the casual loading has now gone up so casuals are on more annually
Used to have a casual who would whinge his ass off about not getting sick leave "oh its alright for u perms getting sick leave and holidays"
Lol you take home more a week u ******* moron to do the same job...try saving that 25% extra u get in your pay dumbass

More physical exercise to hold a broom thats a kilo compared to push a vaccuum around thats 100% heavier???
Brooms push dust in the air
Vaccuums all the way

**** working overtime for no pay
U want my services, u pay me

I do ten hrs a day during the week for about 70%+ for the year plus prob two or three weekends a month...
Weekly waged, u will pay me
This trade-off between casuals getting loading and full timers is a crock of s**t. Don't let them tell you what an amazing gig it is. I've been lucky enough to be seen as a good employee or in a small team and I've conned the $25 an hour and 30 hours a week. But that's all dying out – the solution for businesses is to get rid of sick leave, long service leave because that essentially results in dead hours. They don't want that. They'd rather a larger team on less hours doing the same amount of work, meaning if one fly drops off, there's another in line. And why are they in line? Because they're getting 20 hours and need to pay rent. Last minute shift on a Saturday? Get me in.

Sick and holiday leave is an absolute privilege and honour and a dying luxury.

Thank the unions and industrialists for that. Barely a hundred years later and it's being sucked from us.

Casual work isn't very enticing and no one is taking it over a salary.

Casuals have uncertainty, undependable hours, shift times constantly change. Let's not even talk about the fact 25 bucks an hour isn't even glamorous money and let's not touch the subject of the service sector, which is all underpaid and casual work.

Casual work is sinister and nasty because there's something dragging at your ankles and neck: 's**t, last week I only got 10 hours... *...' If you work 20 hours it isn't enough to continually live off, but it's also a bit harder to start looking for other jobs. It's not enough to be comfortable on and it isn't such a paltry amount that you chuck it in. And yet that's where most people find themselves.

This forum is pretty pro-The Man and into new pop-up apartments, promotions, and 'I don't pay taxes for you to skive off!!!' so I'm sure this'll fall on deaf ears or smug smiling mouths. People will see the effect of this s**t in 25 years when their sons are directionless teenagers despite all those years at St Bernards.

What do you get for this? It's not really an achievement, particularly if you're actually sick.

Also, what lines of work are you in?

I'm rarely "sick" (in terms of cold/flu etc) hence the lack of sick days used. I can work through the days where I may have a headache and the like. The times I've had a cold were minor eg: slightly blocked nose and gone within 1-2 days. I'm a bit of a germ nazi (hate coughers and sneezers especially at work or on public transport) thus I wouldn't show up to work in the same state as others do.

People tell me I should use them as an occasional "sickie" for a break (true to an extent as I lose the money should I leave without using them).

I've mentioned what I do previously. I'll decline to remind others now as it'll be used against me on Bay 13 😄.

As I said, I wouldn't do it for a small business who look after me or in a small team where it's all dependant, but if I worked in some ************ office I would most definitely pull random Wednesday sickies. It'd be useful if you were into music. On a law of averages, a lot of good bands come through on a weeknight. Go out for dinner, have 10 beers, see the rock band, do nothing the next day.

Bro 1, Man 0.

I still have the occasional sickie. In the 3 years I've worked full time I don't think I've actually been sick enough not to turn up to work. I usually take 3 or so spaced out during the year on a random weekday. I work for a relatively small business of around 25 people.

In my role, we work on a timesheet basis and reasonably independently so me being away doesn't impact anyone else around me. I have around 20 days sick leave stored up so if an actual sickness comes up then I should be adequately covered.

Sounds exactly like me.

I very rarely even have that "oooh should i call in sick" thought either.

But as I am on a salary I tend to do extra (15 mins etc) most days just coz I like to help out.

I try and keep track of extra "unpaid" OT and in my head if I have a s**t day I think "stuff em i'll have a sickie Im owed" but the next morning comes and Im like "meh"

All good. I like my job.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Casual work isn't very enticing and no one is taking it over a salary.

This is patently inaccurate as a general statement.

I had a permanent, part time gig when I was 16. It paid SFA compared to the casual equivalent of SFA + 20%. I asked for it because I knew that 10 hours a week for $65 (literally) was a safety net compared to potentially 0 hours a week for $0. In the end I had half a brain so could do an extra 10-20 hours or more any week I wanted at the casual rate.

In a lot of cases people cherish permanency. Low income earners, people in volatile industries, people who aren't highly skilled etc. If you are trying to borrow money than having a permanent, regular source of income is highly sought after compared to potentially earning more but not being able to demonstrate consistency. Wanting a permanent full time gig and not being able to get it can be crushing.

But it's not as simple as that. I've worked with people who flat out don't want full time salaried positions. I've worked with people who want the flexibility to work with multiple clients. I've worked with people who only want to work 15-20 hours a week and sometimes none at short notice. I've worked with people who are effectively hired guns and will move from contract to contract for an extra few bob per hour. I've also seen businesses fluctuate between only hiring casuals and short term contractors to offering full time positions to try and attract/retain people, and people leverage a business wanting them full time to a higher contract rate then effectively being there full time anyway and making extra bank out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back