Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

There's actually no such thing as a 'mental health day.' Sick leave can be ambiguous and be used for mental health reasons, ie ya know a serious bpolar episode, but it's still just sick leave you're using.

I think a large proportion of people who use these just see them as a 'I'm exhausted from work and I hate coming here every day. My mental health is suffering!' day.

Sick leave doesn't exist in some organizations

It's referred to as Personal Leave

Sick leave doesn't exist in some organizations

It's referred to as Personal Leave

Yep, it's called Personal Leave at my job. I suppose that means I can theoretically take it for anything? At the end of the day it's leave I've accrued..

Yep, it's called Personal Leave at my job. I suppose that means I can theoretically take it for anything? At the end of the day it's leave I've accrued..
I don't see why you shouldn't.

Some managers acknowledge that taking a day off every now and then for your own health or even half a day off so you can run errands or something is necessary to keeping you happy and therefore, productive. Personally I've always felt that I've had the freedom to take an afternoon off where required and deciding for myself if I'm taking the piss or not, and I've treated my subordinates in the same stead.

I don't see why you shouldn't.

Some managers acknowledge that taking a day off every now and then for your own health or even half a day off so you can run errands or something is necessary to keeping you happy and therefore, productive. Personally I've always felt that I've had the freedom to take an afternoon off where required and deciding for myself if I'm taking the piss or not, and I've treated my subordinates in the same stead.
A day off to run errands?

Legitimately what are errands these days? It's not 1999 where you're going to the post office to pay four bills, going into a bank to talk to someone about making a new account, taking your pay cheque in to get cashed. Most things are digitised. It's an American phrase but 'leaving the house' can be errands to lots of people... doing your food shopping, picking up a parcel, meeting someone, buying a new pair of shoes... 'oh I'm running errands.'

I'm all for the rights of the working man and say good on people who get what they can out of major corporations – ie being lazy, leaving early, taking sickies when you just want to knock a book over in the pub – but an errand day? ffs you're a grown adult. Or is it like sweeping and doing the dishes and it's just oh so hard to do after work?

Legitimately what are errands these days? It's not 1999 where you're going to the post office to pay four bills, going into a bank to talk to someone about making a new account, taking your pay cheque in to get cashed. Most things are digitised. It's an American phrase but 'leaving the house' can be errands to lots of people... doing your food shopping, picking up a parcel, meeting someone, buying a new pair of shoes... 'oh I'm running errands.'

I'm all for the rights of the working man and say good on people who get what they can out of major corporations – ie being lazy, leaving early, taking sickies when you just want to knock a book over in the pub – but an errand day? ffs you're a grown adult. Or is it like sweeping and doing the dishes and it's just oh so hard to do after work?

Picking up parcels, going to a Doctor's appointment or other appointments - e.g. seeing a lawyer or broker about a home loan. Getting work done around the house (e.g. if you need something installed/repaired and need to let the tradesman in) or having something delivered/installed. Plenty of things that only operate during business hours.

Lots of things. Meeting tradespeople at your house, collecting your sick kids from school, applying for a home loan, changing your licence at VicRoads, dropping your car off for a service and then collecting it. These are all recent examples that I can think of where people have had to leave work early or arrive at work late. Unfortunately most of the rest of the world also work bank hours so if you can't do things between 9 and 5, Monday to Friday then they don't get done at all.

Depends if your work has a leave policy that outlines what Personal Days can be used for, a lot of places change the name to cover things like carers leave, mental health days etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also PMSL at the return of the 'sweeping' concept. Right when mocking people for being old fashioned. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

PMSL at you melting over it again.

Walked past the Dyson vacuum section of JB Hifi the other day. Reckon I'll stick with a broom.
I really like my Dyson V6 Animal Stick Pro, which sounds like an ad when you say it out loud but it is really handy.

V6? Lol. Got a V12 mate.

Also, those complaining about management not giving them a raise or a promotion etc then it's just not the way it usually happens in this day and age. Want a promotion or pay rise? Got to be very active and explicitly tell them that. It's a good thing when an employee comes to you asking how they can further their career but just don't go to them asking for a payrise to do the exact same thing you're currently doing.

I used to be the type that wouldn't take sick leave unless genuinely sick and unable to get myself out of bed. I think I got it from my father - never missed a day of work. Times have changed though, and I'm pretty OK with chucking the odd sicky provided it doesn't * up the day for my team. We all have a pretty decent understanding of each other when having a sick day - get in early, find a replacement and it's all good. Pretty tight knit team who have worked together for significant time.

I have been in my job for 6 years and have just handed in my resignation. I have a fair amount of sick leave built up - it's tough having it sitting there just knowing it will amount to nothing once I've finished up. I might take a day or two over the next 5 weeks.

I will always keep a chunk of sick leave where possible. When I broke my foot and couldn't work I had to use 6 weeks. Used some as approved study leave (lol) and the rest sick. Definitely came in handy! It frustrates me when employees use their sick leave entitlement and then have to take annual leave when they are genuinely struck down. Idiots.

I have been sick the last couple of days but had the laptop so i have just been working from home.

Easier to work than * around getting a medical certificate

I really like my Dyson V6 Animal Stick Pro, which sounds like an ad when you say it out loud but it is really handy.
Yeah, we've got the V6, it's bloody great.
* yeah how good are dysons. I've got the same V6 animal stick and it is one of my favourite possessions.

I have been sick the last couple of days but had the laptop so i have just been working from home.

Easier to work than **** around getting a medical certificate
Sick certificates are just a crock now too. You can just buy them from chemists and most places accept a stat dec signed by a JP. Why bother requiring one when it's so bloody easy to get a fake one anyway

Sick certificates are just a crock now too. You can just buy them from chemists and most places accept a stat dec signed by a JP. Why bother requiring one when it's so bloody easy to get a fake one anyway

Yeah pretty easy getting one for a few days off work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back