Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Very occasional, maybe 1-2 days per year when under the weather but probably could work if there was something pressing.
They don't accrue over here that I'm aware of.
think it's ok in your case you are well under the average, by the sounds.

I take the occasional 'mental health' sick day (i.e. tired of work, need a quiet day at home). I'd argue that it makes you more productive in the long run.

That's my attitude. So long as you don't totally leave others in the s**t (bailing on a deadline, important meeting, etc) then I think the occasional "sick of work" day is fine

Taking is a sick day is a nightmare. The office is unable to do my job without me, struggle through and resent having to do it - if I want a day off for annual leave I need to have all the paperwork done for a week and a half ahead.

The only way I'm getting a day off is if someone t-bones me on the way to work and I'm not conscious to walk the rest of the way.

It just isn't worth it.

I wish people wouldn't fake them, but actually take them when they're sick.

Got a cold? You're sick my friend. Take a ****in sick day. Lie in bed, rest your body, relax. Stop pushing yourself in every ****in day. Your cold will last 2 days instead of 10, and you won't be making me sick with your coughing and snorting and sneezing.

We seem to only take them (a) at deaths door, or (b) when not sick. Just use them when you need to.

I tend to think a sick day should be taken only when productivity will be lower because of your illness. A cold is not in this category (I guess you could argue a 'mental health' day is though).

I tend to think a sick day should be taken only when productivity will be lower because of your illness. A cold is not in this category (I guess you could argue a 'mental health' day is though).

SEp6Zq6ZkzUNW.gif

It's not just about productivity, it's also about infecting everyone else in the office.

Taking is a sick day is a nightmare. The office is unable to do my job without me, struggle through and resent having to do it - if I want a day off for annual leave I need to have all the paperwork done for a week and a half ahead.

The only way I'm getting a day off is if someone t-bones me on the way to work and I'm not conscious to walk the rest of the way.

It just isn't worth it.
I used to think the same thing. It isn't true. No one is irreplaceable. If you get hit by a bus, they will find someone else.

My wife's work is cert for any day off. Stupid IMO.

Just clogs up an already congested health system. Waste of doctors time going in just for a certificate (assuming it's just a cold or flu etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take them when I'm feeling precious and need a sleep in, probably one or two a year that I'm not really sick. One of my girlfriends has over 100 sick days accrued.
I haven't had a sick day in 2 1/2 years and can't understand why my peers can't just get over something like a cold and battle through.
I ******* hate spongers that take sickies for simple, pissweak reasons. When my staff are sick, they have to ring me by 7:30am to let me know. If it's a Monday or Friday, I text them to get a Dr's certificate. If I'm going to be inconvenienced, then they are as well especially taking a day off either side of a weekend.
My last pay slip had me on 960 hours of sick leave racked up, about 120 days based on a 40 hour work week.

I haven't had a sick day in 2 1/2 years and can't understand why my peers can't just get over something like a cold and battle through.
I ******* hate spongers that take sickies for simple, pissweak reasons. When my staff are sick, they have to ring me by 7:30am to let me know. If it's a Monday or Friday, I text them to get a Dr's certificate. If I'm going to be inconvenienced, then they are as well especially taking a day off either side of a weekend.
My last pay slip had me on 960 hours of sick leave racked up, about 120 days based on a 40 hour work week.
Why should your peers "battle through" a cold and potentially get everyone else in the office sick? Having heaps of accrued sick leave is not a badge of honour.

Why should your peers "battle through" a cold and potentially get everyone else in the office sick? Having heaps of accrued sick leave is not a badge of honour.
there are colds and then there are colds. as far as getting everyone else in the office sick, that's an excuse used by people to make others feel as though they're doing them a favour by staying home and watching netflix or gaming instead of hardening the * up.
I've seen and heard all of the excuses over the years, Don't get me wrong, I've used most of them in my 20's when there was a great swell but for people in their 30's and 40's to be pulling s**t like this is pathetic.

Workplace martyrdom is overrated.

It just isn't worth it.

Sometimes it's good to be a pleb. :D

Worked with a chick for 8 years who would religiously use her sick and annual leave as soon as she had a day accrued. Then went through two bouts of maternity leave (double dipped) and went part time. Kids were constantly sick, husband was a hypochondriac.

Dead set he thought he was dying or had cancer everytime he got some minor ailment. She had to leave work early one day to pick him up from work because he was too scared to drive. Took him to the doctor because he thought he was having an out of body experience and was about to die..doctor diagnosed him with 'tiredness' and sent him home for a nap.

Would constantly leave an hour or two early to tend to her sick kids or husband or leave early and lie about her hours. Wouldn't make the hours up on her next day or submit the leave for a few hours cuz the boss was too much of a lazy prick to follow it up.

Most unethical person ive ever worked with. Thank •••• she's gone. Probably owes the company several months worth of unworked hours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back