Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Fine. But I wouldn't like this as there has to be an element of trust. Having to personally speak to the boss so he/she can make an assessment feels childish. I'd just ring and say I'm sick and not coming in if they ask why.............personal medical issue.
I don't think they can actually ask why/what you have going on? I think it's more to make people make the effort to throw a sickie.

Plus I work on my own so the only person it's going to put out will be me and the stores I do the electrical maintenance at. The one person on call for the week will just have to take any urgent call outs during the day for those stores.

I don't think they can actually ask why/what you have going on? I think it's more to make people make the effort to throw a sickie.

Plus I work on my own so the only person it's going to put out will be me and the stores I do the electrical maintenance at. The one person on call for the week will just have to take any urgent call outs during the day for those stores.
Yep, correct. Not allowed to ask. If someone says they are sick, there can't be any questions.

Meant just leave as in if you're say contracted till 5pm walk out then. People stay back out of obligation or some unwritten rule.

Also look for another job or see out your contract as well.

Haha good luck using that attitude in a real job. I'm guessing you're still at uni if you think that attitude flies.

I have floorboards. I much prefer sweeping. Easier, quicker, cheaper.

Easier and cheaper? Huh? The power for a vacuum costs you too much? The small cost every six months for new bags too much for you? It's not easier at all, the mess needs to get swept into piles and then swept up with a dustpan, what if the dirt is hairs or dust that gets missed by the bristles? That's so much dirtier.

Haha good luck using that attitude in a real job. I'm guessing you're still at uni if you think that attitude flies.
Maybe it's job dependent. I couldn't imagine leaving on time if there's work to be done (and far more often than not, there is), leaving early or claiming every hour of unpaid/unrostered overtime without feeling guilty about it (at best) or getting a talking to from bosses/colleagues (at worst). If I was still a 17 year old at Kmart or a 21 year old personal tutor, I'd do it without hesitation :p .

As for dusting everyday - that's overkill, and something even my OCD mum didn't do when when I was a kid. It was made easier by having a barefoot house and no pets. I can understand the need to mop the kitchen daily/every couple of days if people cook daily though... the kitchen is easily the part of the house which requires the most maintenance :(

Maybe it's job dependent. I couldn't imagine leaving on time if there's work to be done (and far more often than not, there is), leaving early or claiming every hour of unpaid/unrostered overtime without feeling guilty about it (at best) or getting a talking to from bosses/colleagues (at worst). If I was still a 17 year old at Kmart or a 21 year old personal tutor, I'd do it without hesitation :p .

As for dusting everyday - that's overkill, and something even my OCD mum didn't do when when I was a kid. It was made easier by having a barefoot house and no pets. I can understand the need to mop the kitchen daily/every couple of days if people cook daily though... the kitchen is easily the part of the house which requires the most maintenance :(

Yeah thinking you can leave on time because that's what your contract says is incredibly naive. Most contracts even include "And reasonable overtime" because if you're in the middle of a task and it hits 5/5.15/5.30 whatever your clock off time is, you don't just drop everything and leave. You'd find yourself out of a job pretty quickly.

If you're not draping your rugs over the balcony and beating them, they arent clean.

I afraid I don't have any balustrades to hang them over, which is odd when I think about it because this house used to be owned by 'new australians', the photos I have of the entertaining area back in the day, golly. Hairy men in the spa, women in nighties with curlers in with a tray of refreshments, white plastic furniture with blue cushions, statues and hanging pot plants everywhere!

Easier and cheaper? Huh? The power for a vacuum costs you too much? The small cost every six months for new bags too much for you? It's not easier at all, the mess needs to get swept into piles and then swept up with a dustpan, what if the dirt is hairs or dust that gets missed by the bristles? That's so much dirtier.

I steam mop my floors once a week which picks up any extra debris. I'm talking about on a daily basis. You would have to mop if you vacuum as well. Vacuums don't pick up stains or grime off floorboards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I steam mop my floors once a week which picks up any extra debris. I'm talking about on a daily basis. You would have to mop if you vacuum as well. Vacuums don't pick up stains or grime off floorboards.

We do mop and vacuum. I fail to see how that's any less efficient than your method. I just fail to see how sweeping does much at all.

Mate I do my job to the best of my ability and leave at a reasonable time. If that is not enough there are plenty of other things I can do. At this point in my life (far beyond uni) am really not interested in being treated as a slave.

Mate I do my job to the best of my ability and leave at a reasonable time. If that is not enough there are plenty of other things I can do. At this point in my life (far beyond uni) am really not interested in being treated as a slave.

Reasonable time isn't what you started off saying, so fair enough.

What did I start off saying? I believe it was if you wanted to leave than just go.

Which I still disagree with. You saying you work more than regular hours aligns with my point though, which is you work until the work you have gets done. You don't just leave for the hell of it and drop everything you're working on.

Which I still disagree with. You saying you work more than regular hours aligns with my point though, which is you work until the work you have gets done. You don't just leave for the hell of it and drop everything you're working on.
yeah you do
working until the work is done when you aren't getting paid for it is how they get away with not hiring enough people for the work they have
if you're getting paid for 40 hours and you are doing 60 every week because that's how long it takes then either you are s**t at your job or you're being taken for ride, possibly both

I had a rep in my last job for leaving on the dot. Nevermind I was always there half an hour early every day. I prefer to get there early, go through emails and tidy up the loose ends from stuff that has come in over night and then be ready to do real work at the start of my actual shift. Once it is time to go, whoosh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back