Society & Culture Sick leave

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why people are surprised that some work "free" hours. Have you ever had a conversation with someone about their mundane job? I honestly don't think there is a more boring conversation to have and you can just tell that this person thinks they're way more important to the company than they actually are.

Only have to witness a colleague leave who has been there for a few years. Some people tear up after a couple of drinks like the person leaving is going to Afghanistan to find Bin Laden. A week later the business rolls on as usual.

There's very few positions in the world where your job can't be done by a million others, very easily.

I used to earn a grand a week before tax. I was happy with it. I also had more free time at that point in my life so made another couple hundred cash in hand umpiring footy when I could do more than one game a week. I also done some video production on a few weddings and bar work for more cash in hand.

Was a productive time for me, living the high life lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why people are surprised that some work "free" hours. Have you ever had a conversation with someone about their mundane job? I honestly don't think there is a more boring conversation to have and you can just tell that this person thinks they're way more important to the company than they actually are.

Only have to witness a colleague leave who has been there for a few years. Some people tear up after a couple of drinks like the person leaving is going to Afghanistan to find Bin Laden. A week later the business rolls on as usual.

There's very few positions in the world where your job can't be done by a million others, very easily.
The issue is, companies advertise these roles with buzz phrases and made up titles. They give this impression it's some high rolling way of life. And that you need all these proficiencies and experiences to basically do something a high school graduate could have in 2002.

I won't even go into how people get to the hiring stage and how many quasi-illiterates and idiots get through over actual self-motivated, intelligent, sensical people.

Don't even get me started about people applying for jobs and upon interviewing ask if the roll is flexible to allow for 3 days work from home and early knock offs to collect the kid on the other days.

If it was that flexible, we'd advertise it.

Yeah, there are definitely some people who raise questions as to how they got to where they are. Some are absolute mongs.
This comes down to people hiring people that they arent threatened by and wont take their job.

Person 1 hires Person 2 who is less competent than themselves.
Person 2 hires Person 3 who is a bit worse again.
Person 1 leaves/retires, Person 2 & 3 get promoted.
Person 3 hires Person 4 again a bit dumber.

And on the cycle goes until you end up with a company full off idiots.

Speeding up this cycle is in a family run business where the idiot son jumps to the top of the tree when the old man takes a step back, and starts hiring less competent people than his already incompetent self.

This comes down to people hiring people that they arent threatened by and wont take their job.

Person 1 hires Person 2 who is less competent than themselves.
Person 2 hires Person 3 who is a bit worse again.
Person 1 leaves/retires, Person 2 & 3 get promoted.
Person 3 hires Person 4 again a bit dumber.

And on the cycle goes until you end up with a company full off idiots.

Speeding up this cycle is in a family run business where the idiot son jumps to the top of the tree when the old man takes a step back, and starts hiring less competent people than his already incompetent self.
This could not be more true for the public service. Quite literally no point being good at your job.

They say cream rises to the top, my time spent there quite the opposite. Directors who couldn't differentiate 'their' and 'there' sending emails to thousands of people. Common sense is left at the door when you get in, don't show you use it, managers would actually get angry you dare to use any sense or simplify a task. A task they set guidelines for of course, they take it personally you found a better way of doing things

People wonder why there's so much waste in the public service. I could write a damn novel pointing out how overstaffed all admin areas are and how the smart are held in their roles whilst the incompetent are promoted to decision making positions...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of my colleagues has taken yesterday and today off to attend the Royal Military Tattoo.

Priorities.

This could not be more true for the public service. Quite literally no point being good at your job.

They say cream rises to the top, my time spent there quite the opposite. Directors who couldn't differentiate 'their' and 'there' sending emails to thousands of people. Common sense is left at the door when you get in, don't show you use it, managers would actually get angry you dare to use any sense or simplify a task. A task they set guidelines for of course, they take it personally you found a better way of doing things

People wonder why there's so much waste in the public service. I could write a damn novel pointing out how overstaffed all admin areas are and how the smart are held in their roles whilst the incompetent are promoted to decision making positions...

This is so true in teaching. The good teachers stay in the classroom while the incompetent get promoted to leadership positions.

I called in sick today, have the medical certificate as proof. I am genuinely unwell (dizzy, sore throat, head cold etc).... still feel guilty and slightly annoyed at getting sick as I was close to lasting an entire year without having used any sick leave.
Why would you feel guilty for being sick?
Weird mental mind games on yourself.

Why would you feel guilty for being sick?
Weird mental mind games on yourself.

The only time i felt guilty was last week- had been on LSL all term 3, then i went home Tuesday the Monday after i got back and away all week.

But ffs had asthma was legit. (and i went to the docs for it over the holidays)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back