Redbacks No More - SACA spuds are back

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly a new ball wicket this one, and also Nielsen and Bosisto played like they weren't afraid of failure.

Have to say, outside of NSW when the Aussie players are back, we'd have to go close to having the best pace attack in the country.

Shows how bad the batting is.

Clearly a new ball wicket this one, and also Nielsen and Bosisto played like they weren't afraid of failure.

Have to say, outside of NSW when the Aussie players are back, we'd have to go close to having the best pace attack in the country.

Shows how bad the batting is.
We have actually been ok batting though as well. Cooper leading overall run scoring and Weatherald/Ferg have hit form. Had our highest ever opening run partnership and uncovered a potentially good player for the future in Hunt.

Always prone to a collapse, but there has been 3 games this season we could/should have won. Then there was the battathon against the Vics.

We've hit our best form!

...going into a two month break.

Oh well, a win's a win. Will Siddons be back after the break? Greg Blewett has coached the last couple of games.
Hmmm, don't change a winning formula.

Hopefully the win released the pressure valve & we don't have another simile losing streak.

Having played first and third and sitting equal top, the strikers are off to a start again.

Nothing from Cameron White yet.

Pretty potent batting line up.

If salt can hit the sweet spot, a middle Order of Carey Wells and white can turn good totals into maamoth ones, especially at home. Will Be good to see big home crowds. They'll Hit more sixes, the bigger the crowd

Gotta love siddle pop, demands the best out of everyone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did we last win two in a row?!

I'd be happy to persist with the current team - Mennie is unlucky and first cab off the rank to replace a quick if injury arises but think that the current quartet are a nice mix.

Good for Lehmann getting some runs but I don't rate him at all and would be happy to move past him...I'd be encouraging him to knock on Tassie's door and see if he can get a contract with them for next year and beyond. Not sure if Bosisto is the answer but he does bring some nice attributes with his part time spin and great catching.

Are we any realistic chance to squeeze into a Shield final? Do we need to win out from here?

When did we last win two in a row?!

I'd be happy to persist with the current team - Mennie is unlucky and first cab off the rank to replace a quick if injury arises but think that the current quartet are a nice mix.

Good for Lehmann getting some runs but I don't rate him at all and would be happy to move past him...I'd be encouraging him to knock on Tassie's door and see if he can get a contract with them for next year and beyond. Not sure if Bosisto is the answer but he does bring some nice attributes with his part time spin and great catching.

Are we any realistic chance to squeeze into a Shield final? Do we need to win out from here?
SA is currently 4th, with 2 wins. QLD are currently 2nd, with 4 wins. However, SA trails by only 6.45pts, which is the equivalent of 1 win. SA has the same number of wins as WA, but trails by 0.56 bonus points. Each team has 3 games remaining.

Here's what needs to happen:
  • SA need to score 1 more win than QLD, noting that the two teams play each other in the final round. SA also needs to make up a 0.45 bonus point deficit on QLD.
  • SA needs to win as many games as (or more than) WA, while making up the 0.56 bonus point deficit.
SA's next game is against ladder leaders NSW, in Sydney.

SA will probably lose to NSW, and should (hopefully) beat Victoria. It could all come down to their final game, against QLD. WA also play NSW & QLD, but have a free hit against current easy-beats Tasmania.

It's pleasing to see us win these two games but I'm a little worried we are going back to the 'bits and pieces' teams of the 2000s with the squad we've assembled.

Of the players who have been in and around the Shield team this season:

South Australians - Nielsen, Sayers, Head, Ferguson, (Carey), (Lehmann), (Valente)
NT - Weatherald, (Richardson), (Andrews)
ACT - Winter, Hunt, (Ross)
VIC - Worrall, Agar
WA - Bosisto
NSW - Cooper, (Mennie), (Zampa)

A few South Australian cricketers haven't really progressed. Dalton and McInerney appear to have fallen back in the reckoning. Daniel Drew got discarded after one game. David Grant got a few games a year or two back but hasn't had a look in this season. Lloyd Pope is still young so will watch with interest to see if he emerges.

I know we're a small state so there will always be some interstaters here but you want to have a few locals genuinely pressing for Aussie selection. Really it's only Head and Carey who are anywhere near that level.

Is our pathway producing enough top level cricketers? We'll never be NSW strong I know

The NT guys learnt their trade here to be fair, for the most part. Cooper and Mennie were NSW nobodies when they came so I'd think we can take a fair amount of credit for who they have become as cricketers too.

But I do agree somewhat.

It's been a long held belief of mine that there's too many grade clubs, levels and too many junior teams. There's no need to have 2 grades of 16s and 14s. I was a fairly standard junior cricketer and I still played grade juniors and a year in the C grade.

Really in the last 20 odd years they have provided absolutely nothing to the state outside some good 20/20 cricket even then all they could muster was 2nd of 6.

When do we get to the point where we just pull up stumps and join the PNG cricket league?

*this thread is dedicated to the 55 we scored against Tasmania in our first innings today - well done guys :thumbsu:
As we surge towards yet another wooden spoon, it's worth revisiting the original post in this thread from 2010.

How times have changed...

Massive cleanout needed. I've heard conflicting rumours.

1. The Jamie Siddons (final year of contract) and Tim Nielsen are rolling the dice, recruiting heavily, trying to buy their way out (Renshaw, Gibson, Cartwright)

2. That a number of coaching staff won't return and some senior members of the squad won't be retained. Heavy cuts, youth focus.

The whole structure of SA cricket is wrong and has been for a long long time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back