• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'm sure there'd be lots of people here with a side hustle, either a legitimate business or a hobby that makes money on the side, drop shipping, flipping cars, restoring furniture, selling artwork, gardening, day trading financial instruments, being a handy man, pet sitting, cutting hair, doing make up, dog walking, buying and selling collectibles, etc.

The point is these are outside of your day job or regular income and not the sole focus of your time.

What do you do? Does it make money? How much time do you spend on it? Is it more for money or for enjoyment?

Let's hear them!

I do Uber and Uber Eats. About 5 - 10 hours a week. Gives me a few hundred dollars a week to spend so I can put aside most of my salary (after my mortgage has come out).

I do Uber and Uber Eats. About 5 - 10 hours a week. Gives me a few hundred dollars a week to spend so I can put aside most of my salary (after my mortgage has come out).
May I ask what % or $ you get for a food delivery ?

May I ask what % or $ you get for a food delivery ?

Usually between 5 and 10 bucks. Then you have bonuses such as an extra $30 if you do 5 deliveries for the week.

Usually between 5 and 10 bucks. Then you have bonuses such as an extra $30 if you do 5 deliveries for the week.
so if you did an hours of deliveries what would you estimate your hourly pay rate to be?

Between $30 - 40.
What are your expenses like?
Uber’s cut
Petrol
Car maintenance / servicing
Car cleaning
Income tax
GST
Insurance
Superannuation
Toll roads
Fines (ie speeding or parking)

Good on you for finding ways to finance some fun as well as paying off the mortgage etc.

What are your expenses like?
Uber’s cut
Petrol
Car maintenance / servicing
Car cleaning
Income tax
GST
Insurance
Superannuation
Toll roads
Fines (ie speeding or parking)

Good on you for finding ways to finance some fun as well as paying off the mortgage etc.

Apart from tax really only petrol which is tax deductible. I guess depreciation on the car too but I have a novated lease on my car and I'm meant to be doing 15km a year which without Uber I was struggling to do as I live 5 min drive from work. From what I hear doing it in a big city wouldn't be as profitable but for my regional Queensland city it's perfect.

I am considering leasing out a large workshop on my property but I am unsure on council regulations and I'll probably need liability insurance etc. And I'm unsure about facilities. I can make some good coin on it for something that I don't really need right now but it's everything else that comes with it that is a concern.

Pick up the odd bartending shift 2-3 times a month for a bit of spare cash. While the cash isn't superb ($31-$47 hr) it's more enjoying being on my feet instead of sitting in an office chair, the steady flow of a busy bar and the interaction with people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back