Side that fails to deliver in 2019?

Side that doesn't deliver in Season 2019?

• Richmond

Votes: 23 7.6%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Geelong

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Essendon

Votes: 88 29.0%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • North

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Port

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Carlton

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Dogs

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well ppl complaining about the look of the game and the way our game plan won a flag so the rules reaction do feel like a Richmond thing
That is honestly an astounding statement. If you said it was a swans reaction then maybe that would have some credibility but this just sounds like typical Richmond centre of the universe delusion.

The AFL want Richmond to be successful. It's been an enternety and the bandwagon is in full swing. The AFL would know they don't need to precipitate the calamitous end even if they did have an issue with their game plan ewhich they don't. It's Richmond FFS.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McOrist

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well both those players were AA and one in particular (NN) will benefit from the new rules. Is Lyndon Dunn and Darcy Moore going to be the difference for you? Possibly but I am doubtful. I don't think they will make up for the 3 negatives I mentioned (harder draw, stronger opposition and rule changes).
Moore, Elliott and Beams will all play in round 1 -and yet you think we haven't strengthened the team??

Tarkyn_24

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
I voted Collingwood for several reason:

1. Their team is pretty much the same as 2018. Melb got May to help their defence, Richmond got Lynch to support Riewoldt and WC gets back Gaff and NN to help their midfield. Collingwood got Beams but he boosts the one area they didn't need help in: the midfield. Their defence and attack are still suspect.
West Coast supporters spend the entire off-season going on about how they smashed our midfield Grand Final day yet when we add a top 10 midfielder in the competition to it it apparently is going to have no impact?

Righto.

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well both those players were AA and one in particular (NN) will benefit from the new rules. Is Lyndon Dunn and Darcy Moore going to be the difference for you? Possibly but I am doubtful. I don't think they will make up for the 3 negatives I mentioned (harder draw, stronger opposition and rule changes).
Given key backs were the obvious deficiency for Collingwood, WCE won the GF with good ruck performances, particularly in a defensive sense which NN has zero aptitude for and Gaff = Beams, Id say the ins which also include Elliot (and I'm discounting Wells) should make a material difference for Collingwood as compared to WCE. The harder H&A draw doesn't count in September it's just a question of making top 4.

If Beams played in the GF IMO Collingwood probably win regardless of any boost down back. Midfield clearances in the seconcd half is what cost Collingwood more than anything and after that it was the WCE KP forwards marking he ball. Perhaps Gaff offsets Beams so it's adding NN to what proved to be very effective rucking v adding 2 key backs to a glaring deficiency and that's ignoring Roughead or the fact that Moore can play KP forward or ruck if needed. Adding Elliot improves the forward 6 as well as allowing De Goey more latitude up the ground.

I'd say adding Moore and Dunne with Roughead for depth down back, adding Elliot up forward and adding Beams to the Midfield is enough to offset a harder draw let alone the potential development of Brown and Daicos or continued advancement of Cox as a forward and ruck option or any potential input from Wells.

Last edited:

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
GWS again probably. They typically haven’t handled the expectation well come finals time
2016 - finished 4th end of H+A, made prelim (last 4)
2017 - finished 4th end of H+A, made prelim (last 4)
2018 - finished 7th end of H+A, made semis (last 6)

Your opinion is not supported by the evidence.

ManOfClay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
2016 - finished 4th end of H+A, made prelim (last 4)
2017 - finished 4th end of H+A, made prelim (last 4)
2018 - finished 7th end of H+A, made semis (last 6)

Your opinion is not supported by the evidence.
If you’d have said they’d have finished in the top eight three years in a row the past three years you’d expect a grand final appearance.

They were expected to be a super team but never quite got there

Max zero

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Moore, Elliott and Beams will all play in round 1 -and yet you think we haven't strengthened the team??
I don't think it will strengthen the team enough where your biggest flaws are and not enough to counter the stronger opposition and new rule changes.

We are going to find out real soon who has made the better prediction.

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
If you’d have said they’d have finished in the top eight three years in a row the past three years you’d expect a grand final appearance.

They were expected to be a super team but never quite got there
It depends on where you finish. As a Dogs supporter surely you must appreciate that finishing 7th on the ladder results in a whole lot harder path to win a flag than compared to finishing in the top 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KeilorUnder9s

Benclank01 Disciple
AFL Club
Richmond
That is honestly an astounding statement. If you said it was a swans reaction then maybe that would have some credibility but this just sounds like typical Richmond centre of the universe delusion.

The AFL want Richmond to be successful. It's been an enternety and the bandwagon is in full swing. The AFL would know they don't need to precipitate the calamitous end even if they did have an issue with their game plan ewhich they don't. It's Richmond FFS.
I agree with this, why would the AFL not want 100k members going to finals?

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
Indeed thought most teams arent being assumed to finish top 2 like tiges are by the many pundits out there. Its been 3 years in a row the premiers were a big surprise, will it be 4?
I'm not sure being favourites helps, but it doesn't materially affect the outcome. I do think we're all after the Eagles this year though. Who really knows though.

AFL Club
Richmond
I'm not sure I share the same optmisum with Essendon as alot of other people.

I seldom watched them last season apart from against Richmond. And they seemed to, well, lack toughness.

Socrates2

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
Bombers have no midfield, Geelong have a number of C graders, Hawthorn are using Sicily as a swingman which sounds a bit desperate, Collingwood might have already played their grand final, Carlton will finish 17th .

gavaniacono

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
I'm not sure being favourites helps, but it doesn't materially affect the outcome. I do think we're all after the Eagles this year though. Who really knows though.
I reckon it will be a smokey. Dees, maybe your boys which you would enjoy immensely given many have written them off.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
I reckon it will be a smokey. Dees, maybe your boys which you would enjoy immensely given many have written them off.
Bith possible.

I actually liked their effort last year in the SF. If they keep that standard I'm happy.

Footy seasons have great wins and terrible losses. I'm up for it and keeping September free just in case. Like half a million other supporters.

ManOfClay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
The last three premiers have also proved that even the usual group of pre-season favourites don't win the prize all the time.
And so does that mean those pre-season favourites haven’t delivered?

They haven’t failed, but I’d say they still haven’t delivered

Forward Press

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd
And so does that mean those pre-season favourites haven’t delivered?

They haven’t failed, but I’d say they still haven’t delivered
It depends. If Richmond was to fail to make it past the prelims this year after finishing top two again their fans would probably feel disappointed but depending on the season leading up to it and the circumstances of the exit Melbourne fans might be okay with it. All about context. In any event I don't think GWS have failed to deliver in the last three years, they have simply performed to expectations. I never expected a juggernaut, ever.

telsor

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Habs

I don't think they're targeting Richmond as a club, but they are targeting the Richmond game plan of the past couple of years (presumably because it 'looks bad'), so obviously Richmond is the most affected.

That said, when coupled with the massive discrepancy in free kicks Richmond suffers, you can understand there being some paranoia.

Top Bottom