Side that fails to deliver in 2019?

Side that doesn't deliver in Season 2019?

• Richmond

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 36 11.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Geelong

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • Sydney

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • GWS

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • Essendon

Votes: 87 28.7%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • North

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Port

Votes: 14 4.6%
  • Carlton

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Dogs

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

WCEbrody

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea F.C, Chicago Bulls
Melbourne are a team where i wouldn't be shocked if they struggled to make the 8 or end up winning the premiership.

Be interesting to see how they recover from that prelim final, it was pretty much a training run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well ppl complaining about the look of the game and the way our game plan won a flag so the rules reaction do feel like a Richmond thing
Get over yourself campaigner Richmond didn't invent footy. People have hated the look of footy for a decade now an congestion an forward pressure didn't start in 2018.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If Beams played in the GF IMO Collingwood probably win regardless of any boost down back. Midfield clearances in the seconcd half is what cost Collingwood more than anything .
I hate statements like this.
1. You have no idea if Beams would have played well, Sidebottom was supposed to dominate and he was poor as was Grundy

2. Sier had 7 clearances, good chance he doesn't play if Beams is fit an Sier was good.

3. Beams only had more than 7 clearances in 5/23 games last year so less than a 25% chance he tangibly improved that area anyway.

4. You didn't have him.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
There isn't going to just be one side that fails to deliver. There will probably be about 6-10 of them even relative to expectations (not assuming premiership is the goal for every team).

Especially when you consider that about 4-5 sides would want a flag this year as their goal post. Then there are bottom four spots which honestly I think is a failure for any side. Nobody should ever be satisfied with finishing bottom four. Plus throw in a few sides that would at least want to win finals or make finals etc that don't make it.

AFL Club
Geelong
Port. Their list just looks ordinary and far too slow. They were 12-10 last season 10th last season which was a 2 wins worse than 2017. I can see them dropping even more to something like 8-10 wins this season which puts Hinkley under pressure even though he's done a good job with what he has been given.

Tarkyn_24

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
There isn't going to just be one side that fails to deliver. There will probably be about 6-10 of them even relative to expectations (not assuming premiership is the goal for every team).

Especially when you consider that about 4-5 sides would want a flag this year as their goal post. Then there are bottom four spots which honestly I think is a failure for any side. Nobody should ever be satisfied with finishing bottom four. Plus throw in a few sides that would at least want to win finals or make finals etc that don't make it.
Stop speaking sense

WN123

Club Legend
AFL Club
Essendon
Bombers have no midfield, Geelong have a number of C graders, Hawthorn are using Sicily as a swingman which sounds a bit desperate, Collingwood might have already played their grand final, Carlton will finish 17th .
Except for the 3 All Australians, as well as Smith Zaharakis McGrath Langford Myers Parish.
If Essendon bust this year I think it will be because the forward line doesn’t function. A lot rides on Daniher fitting in with Stringer and the Smalls.

Papa G

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port. Their list just looks ordinary and far too slow. They were 12-10 last season 10th last season which was a 2 wins worse than 2017. I can see them dropping even more to something like 8-10 wins this season which puts Hinkley under pressure even though he's done a good job with what he has been given.
Hinkley has done a shit job over the last 4 years. Also virtually nobody is picking Port for the top 8, so whilst we've failed to deliver on high expectations on the last 4 years, that expectation is all but gone now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MarkT2

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hate statements like this.
1. You have no idea if Beams would have played well, Sidebottom was supposed to dominate and he was poor as was Grundy

2. Sier had 7 clearances, good chance he doesn't play if Beams is fit an Sier was good.

3. Beams only had more than 7 clearances in 5/23 games last year so less than a 25% chance he tangibly improved that area anyway.

4. You didn't have him.
1 - no idea? It's just an opinion as I clearly said. Certainly I don't KNOW but given his skill set and how Collingwood were beaten it's not an outragous opinion. It's actually why he was traded in for 2 first round picks. Commentary on Grundy has been interesting. He was far from poor. He just wasn't dominant. Well played WCE and their rucks but he was probabnly the best individual ruckman on the day.

2. Sier would definately have played. Highly likely Beams would have played for Aish. Sier is a long term player.

3. It was effectievly a 1 goal game decided late. He wouldn't have had to do a great deal and Sier isn't the relevent comparrison at all. Beams in the middle or even allowing De Goey to start in the middle a bit would have been a plus and will be this year IMO.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
1 - no idea? It's just an opinion as I clearly said. Certainly I don't KNOW but given his skill set and how Collingwood were beaten it's not an outragous opinion. It's actually why he was traded in for 2 first round picks. Commentary on Grundy has been interesting. He was far from poor. He just wasn't dominant. Well played WCE and their rucks but he was probabnly the best individual ruckman on the day.

2. Sier would definately have played. Highly likely Beams would have played for Aish. Sier is a long term player.

3. It was effectievly a 1 goal game decided late. He wouldn't have had to do a great deal and Sier isn't the relevent comparrison at all. Beams in the middle or even allowing De Goey to start in the middle a bit would have been a plus and will be this year IMO.
1. Grundy did not play well, I had money on him for the Norm Smith so I watched him all day closely an he working have come close

2. I know all about Sier Melbourne wanted to draft him. If your saying Sier plays find but he would still be shuffled down the ladder of effectiveness as his main skill at AFL level is contested footy. You can't just say extra inside mids equals more clearances. Dom Tyson had to play on a wing for us because of our inside strength an he sucked.
Sier can't play on a wing, if Beams does you still lose clearances

3. Stacking your midfield doesn't necessarily mean results, GWS midfield was filthy strong a couple years back but it didn't win them anything.

My issue isn't that you've made a bad call because everyone takes beams an makes it work but I can't stand when injured or unavailable players are used to flip a result.

kranky al

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth www.pixelpac.com.au
West Coast supporters spend the entire off-season going on about how they smashed our midfield Grand Final day yet when we add a top 10 midfielder in the competition to it it apparently is going to have no impact?

Righto.
I dont know that we “smashed your midfield”

We did well against a stellar midfield would be a more astute observation - west coast fans are under no illusions that our midfield is thought of as our strength.

Our strength is forwards and backs - and the rule changes look to advantage forwards and backs who are particularly good one on one.

Kennedy and darling are obviously going to flourish here as are ryan and rioli

And mcgovern and barrass are going to keep mc-Governing and em-Barrassing their respective forwards.

Time will tell if our mids can flourish without the spitter

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I dont know that we “smashed your midfield”

We did well against a stellar midfield would be a more astute observation - west coast fans are under no illusions that our midfield is thought of as our strength.

Our strength is forwards and backs - and the rule changes look to advantage forwards and backs who are particularly good one on one.

Kennedy and darling are obviously going to flourish here as are ryan and rioli

And mcgovern and barrass are going to keep mc-Governing and em-Barrassing their respective forwards.

Time will tell if our mids can flourish without the spitter
Agreed. Scary to think what will happen if you guys start winning clearances an delivering to your forward line.

smasha

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL changed the rules because of Richmond and also umpiring has been abysmal for Richmond for 3 years now,230 plus free kick discrepancy last year.

I think we will adapt with Lynch in and Cotchin will not have 5 players scragging him to the deafness of the swallowed whistle.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
The AFL changed the rules because of Richmond and also umpiring has been abysmal for Richmond for 3 years now,230 plus free kick discrepancy last year.

I think we will adapt with Lynch in and Cotchin will not have 5 players scragging him to the deafness of the swallowed whistle.
Did you literally discover the sport a week before the 2017 GF an then stop watching it again afterwards

Xtreme

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon Richmond or Collingwood

Both are expected to contend again and do better than they did in 2018 (Richmond to make up for the shock in 2018 and Collingwood to go from runner up to premier). I reckon both sides could be in for a shock and not perform to "expectation" in 2019.

citizen-erased

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
The AFL keep talking up the Bombers again...

Not convinced they have the metal.
mettle.
But yes, i agree.

We would need a lot to go right to deliver on the promise.

1) A fit 25. Our 22 is good. there are a handful on the fringe that can do a decent job.
List falls away after that. Our depth would be severely tested with 4 injuries at the same time to our top 25.

2) Mentality. We can't start like last year, or drop games we should win. The draw isn't bad. there are 13-14 games we should start favourites, or at least not odds on to lose.
We need all those games, plus a couple of upsets (repeat of Eagles in Perth from last year, an SCG win, Anzac Day, Dreamtime, etc)

3) Some to drop away. The 8 from 2018 doesn't look to have a lot of candidates ready to fall out. And we aren't the only ones lining up to come in from outside it in 2018.

it wouldn't surprise me to see us miss again.

Top Bottom