Side that fails to deliver in 2019?

Side that doesn't deliver in Season 2019?

• Richmond

Votes: 46 10.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 63 14.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 24 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • GWS

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 26 6.2%
  • Essendon

Votes: 127 30.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • North

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Freo

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Port

Votes: 15 3.6%
  • Carlton

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Saints

• Dogs

• Gold Coast

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GlocksTickin

Senior List
Jan 28, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We had the Crows last year that started the season as Premiership Favourites not even make finals along with Essendon, another side expected to flourish. In 2017 Hawthorn didn't participate in September Action after being at the top of the summit for so long, their 3 peat Grand Final success completed by beating West Coast in 2015, another one to fall victim a year later.

Which side(s) in 2019 do you believe will fail to meet expectations?

The whole point is no-one really knows. It's a brutal competition and clubs have been planning through the off-season with no external reference. Even the JLT doesn't tell you much about the evolution of game plans.

History says at least one club will. Smart clubs are aware of the risk in all their pre-season planning I think.

Why would the AFL want the highest drawing club to do poorly?
Well ppl complaining about the look of the game and the way our game plan won a flag so the rules reaction do feel like a Richmond thing

Us...

Against teams like Carlton and Freo who we should beat. West Coast? Pfft. That’s a walk in the park.

Tiges at risk but not because of rule changes. Evolving game styles will catch us out again if we dont also evolve. Pies and Tiges last 2 years were forced into game plan changes which worked. Have to keep up the adaptations.
Very true of all teams though.

Seems to be a bit of hype around Brisbane on both BigFooty and the media.

Seems that there is starting to have a bit of expectation on them, I can see them bring a team that ends on 5-6 wins again which could put them in this basket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted Collingwood for several reason:

1. Their team is pretty much the same as 2018. Melb got May to help their defence, Richmond got Lynch to support Riewoldt and WC gets back Gaff and NN to help their midfield. Collingwood got Beams but he boosts the one area they didn't need help in: the midfield. Their defence and attack are still suspect.

2. Their play is basically all about full team pressure and congestion which is exactly the kind of play the new rules are trying to target. Richmond play the same style but have gun KPPs forward and back to give them structure and a 'plan B.'

3. Draw is harder. I know some people don't like this argument but if a harder draw cost Collingwood just 1 or 2 wins it could have a big impact on final ladder position.

I could take a year of the Saints finishing bottom 2 if it means we get rid of Richardson and draft properly.

Still not enough elite talent on the list to compete with the next batch of emerging Premiership sides.

I voted Collingwood for several reason:

1. Their team is pretty much the same as 2018. Melb got May to help their defence, Richmond got Lynch to support Riewoldt and WC gets back Gaff and NN to help their midfield. Collingwood got Beams but he boosts the one area they didn't need help in: the midfield. Their defence and attack are still suspect.

2. Their play is basically all about full team pressure and congestion which is exactly the kind of play the new rules are trying to target. Richmond play the same style but have gun KPPs forward and back to give them structure and a 'plan B.'

3. Draw is harder. I know some people don't like this argument but if a harder draw cost Collingwood just 1 or 2 wins it could have a big impact on final ladder position.

So West Coast get back injured players but Collingwood doesn’t?

I could take a year of the Saints finishing bottom 2 if it means we get rid of Richardson and draft properly.

Still not enough elite talent on the list to compete with the next batch of emerging Premiership sides.
Be careful what you wish for and players widely regarded as true superstar youngsters that anyone team were taking as the No.1 pick do not always work out. Couple that with injuries , coaching woes and whatever bad luck seems to happen when you are down and out etc just deepen the ocean as you fight to stay afloat.

So West Coast get back injured players but Collingwood doesn’t?

Well both those players were AA and one in particular (NN) will benefit from the new rules. Is Lyndon Dunn and Darcy Moore going to be the difference for you? Possibly but I am doubtful. I don't think they will make up for the 3 negatives I mentioned (harder draw, stronger opposition and rule changes).

Back