Side that fails to deliver in 2019?

Side that doesn't deliver in Season 2019?

• Richmond

Votes: 46 10.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 63 14.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 8 1.9%
  • Geelong

Votes: 24 5.7%
  • Sydney

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • GWS

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 26 6.2%
  • Essendon

Votes: 127 30.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • North

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Freo

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Port

Votes: 15 3.6%
  • Carlton

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Saints

• Dogs

• Gold Coast

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

At least we're delivering on this poll! (I picked Essendon)
Well piss off then. I picked Melbourne in the hope I could find out what it feels like to win something and now I’m transported back to 2000

I selected my own club. Post-season surgery for 15 senior players, modified programs throughout the pre-season and currently the longest injury list in the competition.

I also don't really understand the hype surrounding Essendon. I think they have a solid, mid-ladder side that lacks the depth and size to break into the top four.

I selected my own club. Post-season surgery for 15 senior players, modified programs throughout the pre-season and currently the longest injury list in the competition.

I also don't really understand the hype surrounding Essendon. I think they have a solid, mid-ladder side that lacks the depth and size to break into the top four.
Depends on your definition of what they need to deliver. I imagine Melbourne still competes for top 4 (and is almost a certainty for finals), but if people are expecting a premiership, then yeah maybe they won't deliver. You guys have a harder draw this year, but your team is relatively young and very competitive so I see no reason for a dramatic drop.

I agree on Essendon. I don't think Shiel is going to have enough impact in their midfield to magically throw them into the top 8. They will be competitive, but won't be the lock for finals some people are assuming they are. Also Daniher's latest injury is a concern

Agree about Collingwood. I really loved watching them last year and wouldn’t be against them doing it this year, but they just have a Bulldogs feel about them. A team with numerous injuries who’s secondary players stepped up big time but ultimately in the long run can’t sustain it.

I also think Geelong Sydney and Hawks will struggle.

A 600 disposal, 20 goal midfielder who has finished in the top 10 of the Brownlow the last two seasons doesn’t improve Collingwood?
Obvious it does on paper, but it also changes Collingwood. You were great last year, but adding in quality doesn't always mean you get better.

Does it change your current setup and inhibit natural growth from young players?

Does it become a Beams focussed midfield at the detriment of the team?

Look at Sydney when they picked up Buddy for example. They've became too focused on get it to buddy ball. Something we also struggled with until his last year, and it hurts the team with the predictability of it.

Adding A to B doesn't always = C.

Collingwood of this year will be an interesting watch.

Tiges should be there abouts. Eagles same.

My pick is Essendon. Talked up as a top 4 hope pre Shiels, over hyped, in the rags daily for god knows why.
They have the potential to do it yes, but it's a large burden on them considering their previous 2 years.

Depends on your definition of what they need to deliver. I imagine Melbourne still competes for top 4 (and is almost a certainty for finals), but if people are expecting a premiership, then yeah maybe they won't deliver. You guys have a harder draw this year, but your team is relatively young and very competitive so I see no reason for a dramatic drop.

I'm going by the general belief that they're a top four side in 2019. I think that injuries, conditioning and the fact that we're still relatively inexperienced mean that 2018's result is going to be incredibly hard to match. I envisage Melbourne being part of that pack that finishes anywhere between 7th and 12th.

The fixture is much harder, but it's the breaks in between games rather than opposition quality that make Rounds 1-6 so challenging. Four times we have a break of less than seven days, including just four days between Rounds 5 and 6.

I'm going by the general belief that they're a top four side in 2019. I think that injuries, conditioning and the fact that we're still relatively inexperienced mean that 2018's result is going to be incredibly hard to match. I envisage Melbourne being part of that pack that finishes anywhere between 7th and 12th.

The fixture is much harder, but it's the breaks in between games rather than opposition quality that make Rounds 1-6 so challenging. Four times we have a break of less than seven days, including just four days between Rounds 5 and 6.
Faaarrkkk that's not good, how did that happen? The AFL sends their scheduling requirements to a company in Canada (I think) who runs it for them, you'd think that a very simple requirement would be days between matches >=6.

Honestly I'd be surprised to see Melbourne drop all the way to 12th. Maybe a drop to 10th is not outside the realm of possibility, but I'd be shocked to see any bigger of a drop

The AFL keep talking up the Bombers again...

Not convinced they have the metal.

Same.
They need a big bodied mid badly.
And now with Daniher tearing a calf which can be very hard to get on top of, I could see them missing the finals again.

Faaarrkkk that's not good, how did that happen? The AFL sends their scheduling requirements to a company in Canada (I think) who runs it for them, you'd think that a very simple requirement would be days between matches >=6.

Honestly I'd be surprised to see Melbourne drop all the way to 12th. Maybe a drop to 10th is not outside the realm of possibility, but I'd be shocked to see any bigger of a drop

Twelfth isn't that hard a fall to imagine. Based on last year's ladder, only two games separated Melbourne (5th with 14 wins) and Adelaide (12th with 10 wins). Most year's since 2012 the side finishing 12th wins 10 games - they're not easy-beats.

The short turnaround is due to Anzac Day falling on a Thursday (Melbourne and Richmond both enter the Wednesday night game off four-day breaks). When your footy department is already worried about conditioning entering the season, then you know that post-game rehab will be extremely challenging during the month between 23 March and 24 April.

I’m going to say Richmond!
The way the Tigers supporters are talking them up,anything less than a Grand Final appearance will be disappointing.

Essendon has me worried. I don't think we took the JLT super seriously but we didn't play like a side with it's act together in cruise mode instead we looked very much like a work in progress.

Things can change very quickly though and we have a lot of talent with good age and experience levels.

Also it's funny numbers wise we have one of the healthiest list in the league but we have injuries to our two most important KPPs which could have huge ramifications for our season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL changed the rules because of Richmond and also umpiring has been abysmal for Richmond for 3 years now,230 plus free kick discrepancy last year.

I think we will adapt with Lynch in and Cotchin will not have 5 players scragging him to the deafness of the swallowed whistle.

122 was the discrepancy, not "230 plus"

West Coast supporters spend the entire off-season going on about how they smashed our midfield Grand Final day yet when we add a top 10 midfielder in the competition to it it apparently is going to have no impact?

Righto.
The midfield battle was pretty even to be honest, in terms of midfield star power the pies have us covered its just Pendles, Grundy and Sidebottom had bad days

I hate statements like this.
1. You have no idea if Beams would have played well, Sidebottom was supposed to dominate and he was poor as was Grundy

2. Sier had 7 clearances, good chance he doesn't play if Beams is fit an Sier was good.

3. Beams only had more than 7 clearances in 5/23 games last year so less than a 25% chance he tangibly improved that area anyway.

4. You didn't have him.
Yep those arguments are futile

For me the pressure is on Melbourne. No excuses anymore; they have a side oozing with talent and experience

There’s no question on talent, but the experience angle is a bit of myth - only Gold Coast has fewer players with 75-plus games.

The key is that there are plenty of third/fourth year players with 40-70 games. Several players in that group need to take the next step if we’re to replicate last year’s result.

For me the pressure is on Melbourne. No excuses anymore; they have a side oozing with talent and experience
Yep does that does not always = preimerships if that was the case GWS would have won in 2016 & 2017.

Back