Sidebottom from 41 touches In prelim to 14 touches in GF -numerology.

Remove this Banner Ad

There was about 3 or four minutes left on the clock and Collingwood had the ball on thier back flank outer side and chose to kick the ball around. Chose to waste time too far out from the end.

The ball was kicked right across the half back line to sidebottom being checked by his opponant. Was unable to play on.

Here was Collingwood best player postioning himself out of the play where he could not influence the result. Every one else had ran forward down the outer wing. Where your best player should always be

He was owned by his opponant. The second best player all year and the most prolific ball winner up until the gf in the finals. Languishing on a half back flank keeping his opponant away from the play at the games most critical moment.

Not saying he should of got the Norm Smith but those who voted have no idea.

Did he even get one vote?

Champion Data way overrate hit outs. Even the hit out to advantage gets overrated by how much the ruckman influences it. That midfielders play a major part on how effective a hit out is.

I like Grundy ...awesome

He tried yesterday but you’re spot on

There was about 3 or four minutes left on the clock and Collingwood had the ball on thier back flank outer side and chose to kick the ball around. Chose to waste time too far out from the end.

The ball was kicked right across the half back line to sidebottom being checked by his opponant. Was unable to play on.

Here was Collingwood best player postioning himself out of the play where he could not influence the result. Every one else had ran forward down the outer wing. Where your best player should always be

He was owned by his opponant. The second best player all year and the most prolific ball winner up until the gf in the finals. Languishing on a half back flank keeping his opponant away from the play at the games most critical moment.

Not saying he should of got the Norm Smith but those who voted have no idea.

Did he even get one vote?

He got hutched

Was incredible by hutch .....

I agree anyone else could have taken that back half cheap possession .....Buckley tried to shift him forward ....then Schofield monstered him too easily ...

The coaching by Simpson against Sidebottom was sublime coaching

Sidebottom is still the Gary Ayres medalist for best performing player in this finals series.

If anyone wants to put the blowtorch somewhere, it should be on Scott Pendlebury who needed to lift and had 17, 25, 24 and 20 disposals across the 4 finals.
2 and a half good games out of four. Well done.

Think he might have got some friendly coaches votes, especially in the first eagles game where he was barely sighted after half time

I’ve always been critical of Sidebottom rating as one of the games elite for the simple reason that he rarely cops a hard tag.

Opposition coaches clearly don’t rate him as highly as the media do. Not surprised to see him shut down so easily.

I think it is underestimated how hard it is to play well while being tagged and I believe to be considered a top midfielder this is a rite of passage.

Classy player but I wouldn’t be trading any of the top mids for him.

Sidebottom is still the Gary Ayres medalist for best performing player in this finals series.

If anyone wants to put the blowtorch somewhere, it should be on Scott Pendlebury who needed to lift and had 17, 25, 24 and 20 disposals across the 4 finals.

Is he?

Are there votes for week 4? Doubt he will get any but Redden probably won't get enough to catch him.

Seems a bit suss to compare 3 games to 4.

He averages 20 possession a game in 2018. So he is down 50% on that. Had 5 clangers, 4 of which were free kicks which was a 1/3 of the entire teams free kick total.

He was supposed to be a match winner coming into the game (along with Sidebottom) yet I don't think he was anywhere near close to that. He got tagged out just like Sidebottom. He better get used to the tagging because I reckon WC have come up with a blueprint for both these players.
A blueprint thy allowed him to have 50 hit outs. OKaaayyy

Honestly thought that Pendlebury's lack of impact/influence (despite getting more touches than Steele) was more glaring. 74% gametime, just two score involvements and 5 turnovers from just 20 disposals, an uncharacteristically poor performance from the skipper.
I thought Pendlebury was below his best all finals.

I’ve always been critical of Sidebottom rating as one of the games elite for the simple reason that he rarely cops a hard tag.

Opposition coaches clearly don’t rate him as highly as the media do. Not surprised to see him shut down so easily.

I think it is underestimated how hard it is to play well while being tagged and I believe to be considered a top midfielder this is a rite of passage.

Classy player but I wouldn’t be trading any of the top mids for him.

It's very hard beat a tag in an outside role. Easiest way to beat a tag is as an inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A blueprint thy allowed him to have 50 hit outs. OKaaayyy

Don't try to throw 50 HOs at me like it actually means something. I know what elite ruckman can do. We were using them before Grundy was even drafted. If all he does is farm HOs while doing nothing else every other team would take that in a heart beat.

But hey if you think Grundy was amazing feel free to be happy with that performance. You will just keep losing games.

It's very hard beat a tag in an outside role. Easiest way to beat a tag is as an inside mid.

Two ways to beat a tag:

1. Run them into the ground - Gaff and Cousins use this style. Basically keep running until your tagger is too stuffed to keep up.
2. Go into congestion to create and take advantage of blocks - Kerr and Judd did this. Helps to have teammates who help out.

Sidebottom is an outside mid so number 2 is out and Hutchings has just as good if not better tank then he does so 1 is a no go.

So he was well tagged it happens, I don't see a thread on Yeo. Sam Mitchell is miles better than either and had under 15 touches in 2 grand finals, Ling and Crowley could stab a midfielder and the umpire would let it happen, Hutchings not that type of tagger but sometimes you don't need to be.

Team is always a part of the problem if a an inside mid gets tagged out of the game, but for an outside player sometimes you've just gotta hope they run them off their feet. Isaac Smith usually beats a tag for example, but if he does get tagged well he'll only pop up for a couple of good runs.

So he was well tagged it happens, I don't see a thread on Yeo. Sam Mitchell is miles better than either and had under 15 touches in 2 grand finals, Ling and Crowley could stab a midfielder and the umpire would let it happen, Hutchings not that type of tagger but sometimes you don't need to be.

Team is always a part of the problem if a an inside mid gets tagged out of the game, but for an outside player sometimes you've just gotta hope they run them off their feet. Isaac Smith usually beats a tag for example, but if he does get tagged well he'll only pop up for a couple of good runs.

Just find it interesting after a bad 2015 GF a 23yo Jack Darling has copped s**t for years. Yet still kicked a goal and had an impact.

3 years later he is still copping it.

Sidebottom is practically crowned as the 2nd coming of Jesus coming into the GF. Does absolutely nothing and people are still making excuses for him. Do you reckon he is going to be copping s**t for this GF performance for years to come? Doubt it. People will just pretend it didn't happen.

So many weird numbers/coincidences it felt like destiny.

We've now won flags in years following a sequence, 1992, 1994, 2006, 2018 (2, 4, 6, 8). GFs every 12th year since 94. 3 years after losing to Hawthorn. Playing Collingwood in the QF and Melbourne in the PF as in 94. Melbourne last making finals in 2006. Half time margin same as 94 apparently. Pies lead by 5 goals then we come back. 3 quarter time score was 55-55. Pies lose GF by 5, as they did in 1918. A couple of weird personal things that happened to me pre game, the banner breaking. I'm not overly superstitious but it's all a bit weird haha.

After the previous few weeks Sidebottom had he was always going to be hard checked yesterday. I think it’s more that West Coast we’re ready for him and didn’t let him get into the game.
As a previous poster said there wouldn’t be a blame game if wasn’t for WC brilliant passage that lead to the match winner.
WC ran a soft tag and curbed his influence in the regular season, so I think you are wrong.

Just find it interesting after a bad 2015 GF a 23yo Jack Darling has copped s**t for years. Yet still kicked a goal and had an impact.

3 years later he is still copping it.

Sidebottom is practically crowned as the 2nd coming of Jesus coming into the GF. Does absolutely nothing and people are still making excuses for him. Do you reckon he is going to be copping s**t for this GF performance for years to come? Doubt it. People will just pretend it didn't happen.

I agree ....all the who’s going to stop steel ....blah blah ....he’s Brownlow runner up ....

Best thing sliced bread

Starsky (from starsky and hutch) put the cuffs on

No no big footy creates threads in jack darlings one mistake

I rate sidebottom alongside Leon Davis for performing in big games.

Must have had gastro

63-48 inside 50’s our way

We won feild position more

We went 19-6 during the year ...finished higher and beat you twice before Saturday

Bar the first ten minutes of the match we outplayed you ...you guts were awesome don’t get me wrong

But the right team won

Remove this Banner Ad

Back