Opinion Sidebottom is Overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes the clangers as he takes ridiculously hard kicks no one else would attempt. Which isn't a bad thing.

Easily in our top 5 most important players at the club

Huh?

No one else would attempt a regulation 10 metre pass under no pressure?

Huh?

No one else would attempt a regulation 10 metre pass under no pressure?

Context , look where he gets the ball. Its essentially almost in traffic. Not like hes making clearance kicks to packs off the HBF

In short , doesn't bother me if he has 1 clanger a match when hes so damaging for the rest of his possessions .

He does stupid things at times which stop him from being an A+ grade player IMO.
ie: Poor kicking skills when no or limited pressure, Getting caught in the defensive 50 / holding the ball etc.
Poor decision making when kicking which have you like wtf?!?

Yes he can be classy, crafty at times, but again ..... those things above stop him from being an A+ Grade.

I almost sh*t bricks when commentators say "Oh Sidebottom is a great ball user"

Certainly not in the A+ grade of Pendlebury.

He is in our top 5. Just needs to use the ball a little better. Hitting targets more often.
Otherwise he is silk. Runs and carries the ball for us. No way over rated

only over rated by people on here. in the top 2-5 in the club. best 2 way runner we have, and also we need him resting forward more
great reader of a loose ball to kick a goal we have

I think we can expect too much of a player sometimes. sidey is a gun, yes he has his flaws and can mess up a forward play or turn it over. from my view, he usually does this when he is trying to be overly creative. he's at his best when he takes it on himself and not tries to involve another player in his plan, when he's on he is very dangerous and can have the opposition on guard. major part of our teams fabric, just don't expect him to be a general

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything, he's underrated.

Would like to see him play more inside mid next season. Such clean hands.

I'd agree if we didn't have 10 other inside mids in the side.

I think we can expect too much of a player sometimes. sidey is a gun, yes he has his flaws and can mess up a forward play or turn it over. from my view, he usually does this when he is trying to be overly creative. he's at his best when he takes it on himself and not tries to involve another player in his plan, when he's on he is very dangerous and can have the opposition on guard. major part of our teams fabric, just don't expect him to be a general
This. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure Sidey's apparent brain farts out. He isn't stupid - in fact he's one of the most creative and smartest players I've seen at Collingwood. The trouble is that he's thinking three or four steps ahead of the play and your average player at best can't think past the next step. He does a lot of great work in tight and runs both ways more than any other player on the team. Brad Sewell rates him as an "excellent player who does all the team things" - that's a fair recommendation from a player who has played in a culture that demands the team things be done at all times. Yes he misses the odd kick now and again - has anybody watched Dangerfield? Martin? even Mitchell misses some of his kicks. Sidebottom is easily in the top 5 most important players at the club and while he may not be AA at the moment he should be ranked in the top 10% of players playing the game today. If he played at Hawthorn or Geelong he's be hailed as possibly the game's best outside mid (and he does a lot of grunt work as well)

This. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure Sidey's apparent brain farts out. He isn't stupid - in fact he's one of the most creative and smartest players I've seen at Collingwood. The trouble is that he's thinking three or four steps ahead of the play and your average player at best can't think past the next step. He does a lot of great work in tight and runs both ways more than any other player on the team. Brad Sewell rates him as an "excellent player who does all the team things" - that's a fair recommendation from a player who has played in a culture that demands the team things be done at all times. Yes he misses the odd kick now and again - has anybody watched Dangerfield? Martin? even Mitchell misses some of his kicks. Sidebottom is easily in the top 5 most important players at the club and while he may not be AA at the moment he should be ranked in the top 10% of players playing the game today. If he played at Hawthorn or Geelong he's be hailed as possibly the game's best outside mid (and he does a lot of grunt work as well)
very well put, I didn't want to mention Mitchell and all as that would bring an unfair comparison on sidey as he does not have the back up these guys have. he does have a streak in him as well and can do the grunt work with the best of them, does have the uncharacteristic elbow lift occasionally. love his work though.

Very very very talented footballer but boy he makes some dumb decisions sometimes, too many to be considered elite. I love Steele though - but I'd like to see him be moved into more a forward role as of next year as he's typically a clutch player and accurate in front of goal and would allow JDG to move into a more natural position.

Been better IMO this year than Pendles.
Couldn't disagree more with TD, his a genuine a grader.
His second half of the year was brilliant.

A Grade. Genuine gun. Top 30 player in the competition IMO.
Totally agree. I can't understand for the life of me why some people would think he is overrated. Like all players he can make mistakes but this year he has been almost without peer in our side for creating scoring opportunities from nothing. He takes the game on and rarely gets caught out doing it. On the occasions that he does get caught out more often than not it's partly because those around him aren't really understanding what he's trying to do and there's a percentage of those times which probably have to do with trying to do too much. I have no problem with those occasions whatsoever because if there's one thing the team needs it's a bit of creativity and he has it in spades. He was probably the player that I rated highest in our side this year and that's saying plenty albeit that Pendles played injured for a large block of games.

Hes a gun, stupid thread

When his kicking is good it is exceptional, tries to hard with dinky little kicks that look great if they come off looks very very bad if they dont.

I would imagine that at training his kicking is exceptional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back