Opinion Sidebottom is Overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Some people will overlook all the gifts and just see the flaw. As though many players are perfect. But then again some of those people can clearly have ulterior motives.

He's an excellent footballer. Creative, clever, talented and supremely fit. Can outrun the majority of the league.

We'd all like him to eliminate those costly clangers and he may well do that, but even if he doesn't... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. He's a bloody good player and he's ours.

He's got plenty of love from me.

I know a lot of people might disagree with the heading to this topic but it really grates to read it every morning. I suppose it's something that I think might be a good topic in the carlton forum....

Context , look where he gets the ball. Its essentially almost in traffic. Not like hes making clearance kicks to packs off the HBF

In short , doesn't bother me if he has 1 clanger a match when hes so damaging for the rest of his possessions .

If it was only one clanger a match I wouldn't have an issue either.

Also, if his clangers didn't result in an opposition goal more often than not I also wouldn't have an issue.

Also, if his clangers didn't result in an opposition goal more often than not I also wouldn't have an issue.

Bigger offenders than him on the list who have less output. Bit rich to be stinging him for clangers with the amount he gets the ball.

Classic BigFooty syndrome though , no ones perfect , everyones a liability , even a top 3 best player apparently

N Brown has probably been our worst for what you mentioned above

He's a gun

In his first yr with less than 10 games under his belt.. he got bog in the elim final agst Ade. 2nd in the voting behind Pendles in 2010 2nd gf. He's all over the park plugging holes due to his massive tank. Reads the game unbelievably well. How many times have I've seen him in the open running into the 50 without anyone anyone near him for a goal.. he's just a super bright player. A barometer. Proven finals player.. which means he takes the responsibility of making it happen. He might turn it over every now and again.. but he doesn't go back into his shell.. he still demands the ball. Only criticism i do have of him is he should stride out more and kick through it.. i have seen him kick goals outside of 50 doing it.. he seems to want to be very precise with his kicking.. just lay into it son.

Apart from Pendlebury who else makes you think some thing good is about to happen when the they have the ball.

Streaming forward only Pendles and Sidebottom give me comfort they will hit a target 8 out of 10 times.

At front half stoppages, who do you hope the ball will drop to knowing their uncanny goal sense - ON BOTH sides of their body.

When giving off in defense, who then guts runs and often gets a subsequent possession inside 50.

Which player apart from Pendlebury has the skills to keep their feet, baulk and side step to get out of trouble so often.

I reckon so many here have got it wrong - Sidey is a gun, as was Swanny who probably made even more clangers.

Really so your saying more than 50% of Sideys clangers result in opposition goals. I suggest you flat out made that up.

The only possible explanation I can think of for you hate of sidebottom is you know him personally and he had done something to upset you.

To try and take the bias we all of out of it, every person I speak to who I believe knows footy rates him as one of our very best.

Sidebottom is a dead set gun.

Apart from Pendlebury who else makes you think some thing good is about to happen when the they have the ball.

Streaming forward only Pendles and Sidebottom give me comfort they will hit a target 8 out of 10 times.

At front half stoppages, who do you hope the ball will drop to knowing their uncanny goal sense - ON BOTH sides of their body.

When giving off in defense, who then guts runs and often gets a subsequent possession inside 50.

Which player apart from Pendlebury has the skills to keep their feet, baulk and side step to get out of trouble so often.

I reckon so many here have got it wrong - Sidey is a gun, as was Swanny who probably made even more clangers.

For me:

Pendles, Elliott, Reid, Fasolo.....Sidebottom, Varcoe, Howe.......space..... in that order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Opposition coaches tagged him every week in the 2nd half of the year instead of Pendlebury and Treloar.

Tells me a lot about his quality.

Plus he is the hardest runner on the list. Sometimes the clangers are as a result of simply been exhausted.

It's the endurance based accumulators like Sidebottom Gaff Smith ect that are often the ones tagged because tagging them has the greatest impact on their effectiveness, inside players like Treloar and Pendlebury are very hard to tag so it's normally the outside players that get the tagger, doesn't mean the opposition coaches rates them higher.

Always said Sidebottom is a good player but some people constantly go on about how he is an A grade superstar which just isn't reality

It's the endurance based accumulators like Sidebottom Gaff Smith ect that are often the ones tagged because tagging them has the greatest impact on their effectiveness, inside players like Treloar and Pendlebury are very hard to tag so it's normally the outside players that get the tagger, doesn't mean the opposition coaches rates them higher.

Always said Sidebottom is a good player but some people constantly go on about how he is an A grade superstar which just isn't reality

He's a rolled gold A grade star.

Put it in your pipe and smoke it.

I never said he was not a Gun.

You know whats over-rated.

YOUR THREAD.

U sit there, typing on your computer, with I imagine Corn Chips residue on you t-shirt and fingers.
Bagging out a Bloke, that's busts his gut every week, consistently racking up possessions and getting in the Best.

Why so much hate???

hqdefault.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back