Opinion Sidebottom is Overrated

Remove this Banner Ad

How many rising stars have we had, did Pendlebury win a Brownlow? Who gives a s**t?

He's an A grade talent.

Maybe we have a different definition of A grade talent, I reserve the A grade superstar title to All Australian and above level players.

I agree Sidebottom is very good, but not that good.

Just a gun.
Elite runner.
Does so much.
No he's not Dane Swan level but not far off.
We're so lucky having him.
Yes he may gave an ocassional oddity, but his record in big games is terrific.
Cometh the hour cometh the man.

Madness to even think of moving him on.

Maybe we have a different definition of A grade talent, I reserve the A grade superstar title to All Australian and above level players.

I agree Sidebottom is very good, but not that good.
Think A grade and elite are different definitions.
Every commentator has his list of AGraders for every of the 18 teams.
You can look them up if you dare.
Not many elite players (hall of famers) over the 18 clubs. Would be lucky to get 6 out of all the clubs combined.
So Sidey is not elite as defined by the hall of fame, but as most clubs have two to three A graders, Sidey is firmly in that list.

Think A grade and elite are different definitions.
Every commentator has his list of AGraders for every of the 18 teams.
You can look them up if you dare.
Not many elite players (hall of famers) over the 18 clubs. Would be lucky to get 6 out of all the clubs combined.
So Sidey is not elite as defined by the hall of fame, but as most clubs have two to three A graders, Sidey is firmly in that list.

our 2-3 A graders are Pendlebury Treloar and Reid.

our 2-3 A graders are Pendlebury Treloar and Reid.
Reid?
And you downgrade Sidey for his disposal!
You state that you reserve A grade status for All Australian players. Where is Cloke in your "3 A graders"?
He's an AA as well. And still a listed player.
Your rating system is flawed as all players, no matter their actual playing status, must start as B graders until someone like Kevin Bartlett or Luke Darcy decides they are AA.
Wonder how many Collingwood players KB put up for nominations? I'm guessing duck eggs.
If your happy for ex players from some of our deadliest enemies to select our A grade players then good luck to you.
But you couldn't be more wrong.

You know whats over-rated.

YOUR THREAD.

U sit there, typing on your computer, with I imagine Corn Chips residue on you t-shirt and fingers.
Bagging out a Bloke, that's busts his gut every week, consistently racking up possessions and getting in the Best.

Why so much hate???

hqdefault.jpg

Given this post, I'm surprised that you have such a problem with hatefulness.

Sidebottom is huge for us and as we pick up momentum next year and others around him come into their own, he'll have a big year IMHO.

He is good enough to be AA

This is what you wrote.

If it was only one clanger a match I wouldn't have an issue either.

Also, if his clangers didn't result in an opposition goal more often than not I also wouldn't have an issue.

More often than not by definition is over 50%

Well yes and no.

If he kicks 3 clangers in a match, more often than not would be 2 of those resulting in goals. Which is about right.

Well yes and no.

If he kicks 3 clangers in a match, more often than not would be 2 of those resulting in goals. Which is about right.

What is it yes or no?

Absolute garbage, you just made that up. If you making claims like that show me the proof. Just to repeat you are saying that 67% of Sideys clangers result in opposition goals. So you are saying if he had had 60 clangers this year he is directly responsible for 40 goals. For someone who does not play in the backline that would be some kind of record.

Did you notice he was one of our 3 nominees for the AFLPA player of the year award. I guess the opposition players have no idea either?

I should thank you though for proving my number 1 belief in life to be correct. That is that no matter how absurd something seems to most people that people will believe what they want to believe.

I get that you don't like him but making up stuff to back your argument does not give you a lot of credibility

Some people will overlook all the gifts and just see the flaw. As though many players are perfect. But then again some of those people can clearly have ulterior motives.

He's an excellent footballer. Creative, clever, talented and supremely fit. Can outrun the majority of the league.

We'd all like him to eliminate those costly clangers and he may well do that, but even if he doesn't... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. He's a bloody good player and he's ours.

He's got plenty of love from me.
Unfortunately most of those people love commenting here in BF threads.

LOve to see who can pick the common factor with the following players:
Robbie Gray... Brad Crouch
Patrick Cripps... Nat Fyfe
Todd Viney...... James Kelly
Adam Treloar... Sloane
Patrick Dangerfield... Priddis
Dustin Martin... Jordan Lewis
Ollie Wines... David Armitage
Dan Hanneberry... David Mundy
Heath Shaw..... Rockliff
Joel Selwood... Kieren Jack
Scott Thompson... Andrew Swallow
Luke Shuey... Sam Mitchell............................
Luke Parker
Luke Hodge

What is it yes or no?

Absolute garbage, you just made that up. If you making claims like that show me the proof. Just to repeat you are saying that 67% of Sideys clangers result in opposition goals. So you are saying if he had had 60 clangers this year he is directly responsible for 40 goals. For someone who does not play in the backline that would be some kind of record.

Did you notice he was one of our 3 nominees for the AFLPA player of the year award. I guess the opposition players have no idea either?

I should thank you though for proving my number 1 belief in life to be correct. That is that no matter how absurd something seems to most people that people will believe what they want to believe.

I get that you don't like him but making up stuff to back your argument does not give you a lot of credibility

Not that I don't like him, I just think he's highly overrated. Not really the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think he is.

He was a big part of the Reason Dees where in the Game at Half Time.

Not a Very Good Field Kick.

Should only play as a Forward

Anyone interested in putting together a Sidey montage of dinky clanger kicks?

Obviously it would be limited to 2017 only as it would take weeks to put a career worth together.

Prefer it with an overlay of commentators crapping on about how elite his disposal is.

Thanks in advance.

Will get Brownlow Votes apparently that's all you can ask for! :thumbsu::thumbsdown:

One of the best endurance runners in the league and people want to mitigate his biggest strength by restricting him forward. Makes sense. o_O

One of the best endurance runners in the league and people want to mitigate his biggest strength by restricting him forward. Makes sense. o_O

Well Forward is best Postion and what good is his Endurance when he Turns the Ball Over?

Well Forward is best Postion and what good is his Endurance when he Turns the Ball Over?

It's just your opinion that it's his best position.

I'm with you.
Elite runner,
Let him run.

Anyone at any game when he runs, just watch him specifically.

Gets to contest after contest.

Can't buy that type of running, yes some mistakes, but all that means is overall he's not quite elite, but still high level talent.

Interestingly, Pendlebury gets to contest after contest, amazing to just see him get himself to each contest

Is he a very good overhead mark? Not really? K why on earth make him a permanent fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back