MRP / Trib. Sidebottom tackle - latest: can accept $2000 fine

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be a fine if deemed low impact. 1 week if deemed medium impact. Pretty simple actually as it will definitely be deemed careless rather than intentional.

Double arm pinned and swing to ground on Fisher. Personally I hate these soft DOC rules but to the letter of the law (now) it will be looked at. Good news is like others have stated the "medical report" seems to have a very big say in these adjudications.

Given he was off for a check up and came back on within 5 minutes, played the game out, hopefully there will be nothing come of it.
I thought this rule came in for the double action type sling tackle. Although he had his arms pinned, it was just a tackle imo. Steele was even looking the other way towards the ball as they fell to the ground. Would be a joke if he got rubbed out for that. The fact that no injury was sustained should help him as they seem to take this into account more than the action itself.

I think he'll get a fine. Low impact.

But how ridiculous was the 2nd free kick payed to Fisher for a dangerous tackle (Sharenburg maybe?). Had BOTH arms free trying to dispose of the ball, tackled to the ground and clearly puts 1 arm down before the rest of him hits the ground. Just a shocking decision of which there were many last night.

I thought this rule came in for the double action type sling tackle. Although he had his arms pinned, it was just a tackle imo. Steele was even looking the other way towards the ball as they fell to the ground. Would be a joke if he got rubbed out for that. The fact that no injury was sustained should help him as they seem to take this into account more than the action itself.

Nah it's now a duty of care rule where by if you pin 1 or 2 arms and sling, slam or throw them to ground and they hit their head you will get cited.

It then goes to Chrisso (under a new mrp system)who gives a verdict ie np issue, fine, 1 week, 2 weeks etc then you get a chance to appeal or plead your case.

They (some coaches J.Longmire and L.Cameron) are now talking about wanting the AFL to look at all lingering tackles to prevent what happened to scully with young Brownys great tackle on him.
Its a joke how soft we have become and always look to blame something, its a rare injury cant stop all accidents and leave the game alone.

Reactionary rule changes (off one off incidents) slowly killing a once tough physical sport.

They (some coaches J.Longmire and L.Cameron) are now talking about wanting the AFL to look at all lingering tackles to prevent what happened to scully with young Brownys great tackle on him.
Its a joke how soft we have become and always look to blame something, its a rare injury cant stop all accidents and leave the game alone.

Reactionary rule changes (off one off incidents) slowly killing a once tough physical sport.

Agreed. Sometimes s**t just happens and its nobody's fault. Its just the game we play. I remember Anthony Roccas tackle which resulted in Bob Murphy's first ACL. Done today, they'd be asking for a jail sentence. Back then, it was treated as it should be. An unfortunate accident which is and will always be a part of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Duty of care in a tackle is rubbish when the rules stipulate that it is legal to perform that action to defend, provided that it is executed below the shoulder and above the knee.

12 months ago if you spin a player 360 degrees in a tackle it was automatically holding the ball.

I can say that Sidebottom Tackle sounds like it should be the name of a shop in a carry on film. Other than that, * nose.

AFL have always adjudicated these things by the result rather than the action, so the fact the player was able to return to the game, and that Rusty showed obvious and immediate care for his opponent should mean he doesn’t miss time.

4 weeks.
"Collingwood loading" should see that blow out to 6 weeks.

Pretty good result really plenty of the media were trying to hang him I'm just glad he's right for next week

I hope Michael Christian doesn’t cop any flack, the descision makes sense and as long as he’s consistent everyone should be ok. The tackle didn’t look great but no harm done, if the Carlton player lost time the appropriate that Sidey does too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back