AFLW 2020 AFLW Sign and Trade Period, August 3rd-21st (all list management details up in here)

Who won the 2020 AFLW Trade Period Premiership?

• Adelaide - environmentally friendly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collingwood - hello Newman etc

• Geelong definitely know what they're doing

• GWS Giants - Katherine Smith aka Killa Kat is about to fu** sh*t up in the old Greater West

• Richmond have neces-Sarah-ly improved

• St Kilda - love that BJ

• West Coast - tip of the hat for their Tipperary recruit

• Total voters
Former Crows, Demons and now Eagles player Talia Radan has retired. No idea how many more such announcements are incoming, but there hasn't been a lot yet. Except for Adelaide, whose list of retirements is substantial. And that doesn't include my girl Ruth Wallace, but to say she's in doubt for 2021 would probably be putting it lightly.
---
Before I forget, a minor correction: At one point (somewhere on here) I theorised the minimum requirement for clubs to only delist three players before the 2020 draft might've been a response to this year's exceptional circumstances (possible talent scouting limitations, etc). I re-read the CBA a few nights ago, as one does, and it turns out the pre-draft max list sizes of 27 were always going to come into effect this year (had been ~21 in previous years).

Former Crows, Demons and now Eagles player Talia Radan has retired. No idea how many more such announcements are incoming, but there hasn't been a lot yet. Except for Adelaide, whose list of retirements is substantial. And that doesn't include my girl Ruth Wallace, but to say she's in doubt for 2021 would probably be putting it lightly.
---
Before I forget, a minor correction: At one point (somewhere on here) I theorised the minimum requirement for clubs to only delist three players before the 2020 draft might've been a response to this year's exceptional circumstances (possible talent scouting limitations, etc). I re-read the CBA a few nights ago, as one does, and it turns out the pre-draft max list sizes of 27 were always going to come into effect this year (had been ~21 in previous years).
Yeah, I read the 27 players. So how many do clubs have to delist (if none have retired?)

Yeah, I read the 27 players. So how many do clubs have to delist (if none have retired?)
3, unless a club was able to sign a replacement player(s) before/during the season, taking their list size above 30. I think the clubs that had 32 on their list this year were Adelaide and Melbourne, and the clubs that had 31 were Geel, GWS, NM, Melb, Rich, WC and WB.

Carlton have delisted:
  • Joanne Doonan (Irish rookie, played 2 games)
  • Katie Harrison (rugby 7s convert, didn't play a game)
  • Sharnie Whiting (pick 36 in the 2019 draft, didn't play a game)
  • Emerson Woods (pick 38 in the 2018 draft, played 1 game)

The Demons have a whopping six players (a fifth of their list), headed by star midfielder Elise O'Dea, expected to land at other clubs over the 10-day period, which kicks off on Monday at noon.

Melbourne key defender Harriet Cordner (Richmond), utility Bianca Jakobsson (St Kilda), speedsters Aliesha Newman (Collingwood) and Maddy Guerin (Carlton) and young leader Katherine Smith (has been linked to both GWS and Gold Coast) are expected to be at different clubs in 2021.

The two other high-profile deals expected to be completed involve Carlton's Sarah Hosking and Collingwood's Sarah D'Arcy, with the duo linked to Richmond.

Richmond's head of women's footy Kate Sheahan and recruiter Lauren Tesoriero are former Pies players, and D'Arcy won't be the only Collingwood player heading to Punt Road, with improving midfielder Sarah Dargan also on the move.

Top sides North Melbourne and Fremantle will be looking towards list maintenance rather than wholesale changes, with the Dockers set to re-sign young stars Roxy Roux, Hayley Miller and Mim Strom.

West Coast and Gold Coast – who both played their first seasons in the AFLW this year – are reportedly looking towards the draft, although the Eagles will snare Irish Bulldogs midfielder Aisling McCarthy in return for their own competition assistance draft pick (16).

Jayde Van Dyk, who missed most of 2020 with an ankle injury, to move from Carlton to St Kilda

- Young Pies forward Katie Lynch is expected to head to the Western Bulldogs

Tasmanian Abbey Green to swap from North Melbourne to Collingwood, shoring up its ruck division following the retirement of Eliza Hynes

- First-year Dog Hannah Munyard to return home to South Australia and play for Adelaide. A second-round pick has been mentioned as a possible trade

Sarah D'Arcy to Richmond would be truly baffling. Pretty much the one archetype that the Tigers don't need more of, in terms of role/position (unless Christina Bernardi, for example, has her sights set on a fourth club in five years).

I also don't know how a 2nd rounder could be justified for Hannah Munyard. Most of the players drafted in that range (picks 17 to 30) last year had wayyy more impact this season than what she did.

Sarah D'Arcy to Richmond would be truly baffling. Pretty much the one archetype that the Tigers don't need more of, in terms of role/position (unless Christina Bernardi, for example, has her sights set on a fourth club in five years).

I also don't know how a 2nd rounder could be justified for Hannah Munyard. Most of the players drafted in that range (picks 17 to 30) last year had wayyy more impact this season than what she did.
D'arcy is the one I would really be sad to leave. Dargan too, I mean she's been good. But D'Arcy? Breaks my heart really.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Teen Wolf said "I also don't know how a 2nd rounder could be justified for Hannah Munyard. Most of the players drafted in that range (picks 17 to 30) last year had wayyy more impact this season than what she did. "

Easy this helps the Melbourne part of the draft without overly disrupting the Crows. It would be preferable to keep 1st rounder for the Draft Photo shoot of Top 10 etc

Teen Wolf said "I also don't know how a 2nd rounder could be justified for Hannah Munyard. Most of the players drafted in that range (picks 17 to 30) last year had wayyy more impact this season than what she did. "

Easy this helps the Melbourne part of the draft without overly disrupting the Crows. It would be preferable to keep 1st rounder for the Draft Photo shoot of Top 10 etc
If it was as casual as that, the Crows would have got a 2nd rounder for Jess Allan last year.

Reality is the AFL makes the call on these interstate trades, and their track record in terms of assessing suitable deals is pretty good. Thus I'd be surprised if they misjudged this very straightforward case.

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
Sarah Hosking to Richmond in exchange for Pick 15 (speculated to be useful for a possible O'Dea move to Princes Park) and Grace Campbell off to North Melbourne for Pick 43 (which sounds like small beers for a fairly handy inside mid)

Would've expected Richmond to get pick 29 for Campbell. Makes me wonder if there's a possible issue with her availability for next season, doesn't really add up otherwise.

Good outcomes for all parties involved in the other two trades today:
Abbey Green (NM) to Collingwood for pick 40
Jayde Van Dyk & pick 42 (Carl) to St Kilda for pick 36

Magpies confirm Machaelia Roberts retirement and Georgia Gourlay delisted.

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
Eagles get Aishy Mac as expected (for Picks 2 and 16 with Pick 3 coming back). Could be anything and still young; will definitely improve the Eagles after a dire first season.

Bit of a bummer from a personal perspective, I've always enjoyed talking to her after Dogs games; has been super generous with her media time post-match.

In other Irish-related news for the Eagles, mentioned in the same article: Grace and Niamh Kelly have re-signed until the end of 2022.
Interested to see what the Bulldogs do with their newly acquired 16th pick. Very young side this year, which included 8 players born in 2001. On top of that, Callinan retired, Spark is turning 35 soon, and Scott fell out of favour.
Summary of today's 3-way deal...

Richmond
Get: Sarah D'Arcy, Sarah Dargan and Harriet Cordner
Give: Picks 17, 31 and 45

Melbourne
Get: Picks 10 and 17
Give: Pick 11, Aliesha Newman and Harriet Cordner

Collingwood
Get: Aliesha Nemwan and picks 11, 31 and 45
Give: Sarah D'Arcy, Sarah Dargan and pick 10

Jakobsson to Saints deal done. Demons getting pick 29 in return which will also prove to be unders if she's fully fit and available, like the Campbell trade. Have my doubts though--not just because she sat out this season, but also due to St Kilda resisting to cough up pick 22 for her (and thus bringing North in for a cumbersome three-way to get it over the line).

Steph Chiocci has "re-signed" with Collingwood, even though she was in the middle of a two-year contract. Is this at all related to the news earlier in the year about her teaching career temporarily being put on hold to concentrate on footy, idk.

Jakobsson to Saints deal done. Demons getting pick 29 in return which will also prove to be unders if she's fully fit and available, like the Campbell trade. Have my doubts though--not just because she sat out this season, but also due to St Kilda resisting to cough up pick 22 for her (and thus bringing North in for a cumbersome three-way to get it over the line).

Steph Chiocci has "re-signed" with Collingwood, even though she was in the middle of a two-year contract. Is this at all related to the news earlier in the year about her teaching career temporarily being put on hold to concentrate on footy, idk.
If she was offered two years somewhere else then it's good management to secure her for the same length for similar terms

Does this mean Steph is contracted for 2021 and 2022? Or is 2020 the 2nd year of her contract?

I'm happy about Porter. She's a gun, and still so young. Bright future.

If she was offered two years somewhere else then it's good management to secure her for the same length for similar terms
Does this mean Steph is contracted for 2021 and 2022? Or is 2020 the 2nd year of her contract?
I don't think a player in the middle of a two-year contract can extend the length of their contract (because... that makes it a 3+ year contract, which isn't allowed, I guess?). But they can alter other details. Chiocci would therefore still only be signed on until the end of the 2021 season, but perhaps with better remuneration now.

If I'm wrong about this, it will be proven comprehensively over the next 12 days. But I take no blame because, frankly, this stuff should be reported much more clearly!

Wouldn't it just be a new 2 year contract?
Arguably, unless the AFL says otherwise. I think I've read every document they've publicly released about AFLW rules/regulations/agreements in the last few years, still not 100% sure. But I'm swayed by the fact that nobody, be it clubs or reporters, is talking about the possibility of on-contract players signing new two-year deals, including the case of Chiocci (who btw wouldn't be in the Pies' top half-dozen list retention priorities).

Also, take this recent news:
Bowers, Houghton, Antonios etc are mentioned as already signed for 2021, no indication that the Dockers are currently in talks to re-sign them for 2022, but I'm sure they'd like to be.

Melbourne get pick 15 from Carlton in exchange for Elise O'Dea and Maddy Guerin. Extremely accommodating by the Demons, whose list manager Todd Patterson said: "When we were approached by her management about Elise being at a crossroads with her football career, we were supportive of whichever direction Elise felt would be best for her." Strong rebuttal of the notion that a player firesale was part of their strategy.

The Bulldogs get Katie Lynch and pick 25 in exchange for Hannah Munyard and pick 33. So that situation works out sensibly in the end.
Interested to see what the Bulldogs do with their newly acquired 16th pick. Very young side this year, which included 8 players born in 2001. On top of that, Callinan retired, Spark is turning 35 soon, and Scott fell out of favour.
Pick 16 is now their third selection in the draft, having also traded picks 19 and 25 to Collingwood in exchange for pick 11 today. Even greater motivation to shop around that 16th for some added experience imo.

Back