AFLW 2020 AFLW Sign and Trade Period, August 3rd-21st (all list management details up in here)

Who won the 2020 AFLW Trade Period Premiership?

• Adelaide - environmentally friendly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Collingwood - hello Newman etc

• Geelong definitely know what they're doing

• GWS Giants - Katherine Smith aka Killa Kat is about to fu** sh*t up in the old Greater West

• Richmond have neces-Sarah-ly improved

• St Kilda - love that BJ

• West Coast - tip of the hat for their Tipperary recruit

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Captains, ex captains, vice captains..good commitment and creating good culture
No player movement regarding captains this week, no player movement regarding vice-captains either.

Like a few other trades, if Carlton had given up a bit more for O'Dea (perhaps a Charlotte Wilson type in addition to the pick 15 they parted with), I'd be counter-intuitively more inclined to think it was a great deal. Precisely the kind of player I was unwittingly talking about them needing to acquire on page 1... But the seemingly lowball offer agreed to by the Dees, in combination with how she looked to have on lead boots this season, imo makes the trade a wait-and-see-how-it-plays-out situation.
---
Geelong get picks 10, 20, 27 and 39 from Melbourne in exchange for picks 5, 35 and ~54. No doubts about the positive value of this move by the Demons. And it probably gives a clue about who might've been plotting to snatch the 2nd Vic pick out from under the Bulldogs.

For the Cats, it's a low chance of producing really strong returns, but even less chance of backfiring on them. They will still use their first couple picks to get the best exclusive Geelong talent, while maybe coming out ahead with later selections in the draft (where players are more likely to have nominated for all of Victoria rather than just the Melbourne zone).

The only question for me is whether St Kilda did the right thing by not getting involved. I daresay the Cats would've done their due diligence and approached them about bettering the deal. The Saints have a handy father-daughter incoming though, so there isn't much point in marginally upgrading their first pick if they believe the Dogs will make a high bid for Alice Burke (problem is I don't know if she's in that very top bracket of prospects).

Last edited:
I don't think Sarah Black said a "big name", rather a "big chance" of one more trade happening (foreshadowing the now confirmed Bresland and/or Trend deals).

The Yak

Debutant
Aug 4, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
What a great club Carlton is. Emerson Woods badly injured at training gets wrong medical advice from Carlton then delisted. Great work:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW
I don't think Sarah Black said a "big name", rather a "big chance" of one more trade happening (foreshadowing the now confirmed Bresland and/or Trend deals).

You're right, I'd read the tweet a couple of hours earlier and must have remembered it wrongly.

Sounds like Trend for 44 (Freo) and Bresland for 46 (West Coast) are the final expected moves.

You're right, I'd read the tweet a couple of hours earlier and must have remembered it wrongly.

Sounds like Trend for 44 (Freo) and Bresland for 46 (West Coast) are the final expected moves.

What a great club Carlton is. Emerson Woods badly injured at training gets wrong medical advice from Carlton then delisted. Great work:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
One would think Woods' outstanding Combine results might get a quality player taken higher than 38th in the draft. Personally can't comment on that because, despite watching several VFLW and U18 National matches (and one AFLW game in two years) in which she apparently participated, I haven't had the opportunity to notice her football ability.

It'd be interesting to know in specific detail how the medical advice given to, and subsequent delisting of, Georgia Gourlay demonstrates Collingwood to be a greater club than Carlton. Can't just leave us hanging like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems no pools in Victoria draft this year? Every player is available to every team in Vic
I am so skeptical of this, even though today's reporting of it on the AFLW website couldn't be more categorical.

Paints yesterday's trade in a completely different light, looks like a terrible move by Geelong now imo.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Suns have said absolutely nothing about anything.. does anyone know why?

No signings, No trades, No delistings, No retirements, No News at all

Oct 3, 2006
Gold Coast/Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Bulldogs/Lions AFLW

Seems like today's the day: Sarah once again with the mail.

sunstrade.JPG

Back