List Mgmt. Signed, Sealed, Sammy

Remove this Banner Ad

Rohan is still a matchwinner, see the QF.

Menegola unfortunately lacks what we now expect from our wingers in Holmes and Smith, and thats pace and endurance. Menegolas only saving grace is if he goes back into the middle now Joel has retired as he is a bigger bodied mid and a long kick. So if someone gets the clearance out to him, hitting it from the centre clearance to the top of the goal square is handy to have.

But I just can't see how he takes a wing role off Holmes or Smith barring injury.

And even then if we are talking midfield rotations taking Joels time from last season, I would much rather see Bowes/Bruhn/Parfitt or Close if they decide they want him up the field taking those minutes.
Menegola has the second or third best tank in the team. It's one of the reasons the coaches consistently talk about him in such glowing terms - he's able to get up and down the ground in ways almost no-one else is.

Menegola has the second or third best tank in the team. It's one of the reasons the coaches consistently talk about him in such glowing terms - he's able to get up and down the ground in ways almost no-one else is.

Miers is a bit like this as well - can get up and down the ground. It's probably why he was kept in the team earlier in the season when he was out of form.

But... Miers had the opportunity to repay the faith in the last part of the season and especially in finals. Through no fault of his own, Menegola may not get that chance with all the new blood coming in.

Could he perhaps re-invent himself as an inside mid? He's certainly got the body for it and although it's easy to say "Selwood out, Holmes in" it's not a like-for-like swap.

OK, I'll stop there - don't want to derail this thread any more than I have!

Pace AND endurance though, not or. Our gameplan is not going to be effective with Menegola on the wing after we have seen how it works this year. Menegola can't break lines.

But its why I think him moving back into the middle to take some of Joels role is going to be his way forward.

Pace AND endurance though, not or. Our gameplan is not going to be effective with Menegola on the wing after we have seen how it works this year. Menegola can't break lines.

But its why I think him moving back into the middle to take some of Joels role is going to be his way forward.
Smith and Holmes bring the combo of pace and endurance in spades, I agree. Which does mean Mena has his work cut out getting a role roaming the wing.

And I think they will (rightly) look to give the likes of Bruhn, Bowes and even SOS a look at inside mid minutes before they offer Sam extended time in there. They're the future, after all. Added to that, you have Parf not even supposedly making the best 22 by the end of 2022 as well. He has to be ahead of Mena in any consideration of a role as an inside mid for next season and beyond.

Could well be wrong, of course. But I think that all adds up to the likelihood that the #27 is not looking at lots of senior footy in 2023 if our injury list remains relatively short.

Smith and Holmes bring the combo of pace and endurance in spades, I agree. Which does mean Mena has his work cut out getting a role roaming the wing.

And I think they will (rightly) look to give the likes of Bruhn, Bowes and even SOS a look at inside mid minutes before they offer Sam extended time in there. They're the future, after all. Added to that, you have Parf not even supposedly making the best 22 by the end of 2022 as well. He has to be ahead of Mena in any consideration of a role as an inside mid for next season and beyond.

Could well be wrong, of course. But I think that all adds up to the likelihood that the #27 is not looking at lots of senior footy in 2023 if our injury list remains relatively short.

I agree, and I think I said that earlier, I just mean if you HAVE to fit Menegola in, big bodied mid with a long kick on him and a tank but isn't overly pacey and loves a long/high ball sounds like a clearance machine rather than how we run the wings based on this season.

Miers is a bit like this as well - can get up and down the ground. It's probably why he was kept in the team earlier in the season when he was out of form.

But... Miers had the opportunity to repay the faith in the last part of the season and especially in finals. Through no fault of his own, Menegola may not get that chance with all the new blood coming in.

Could he perhaps re-invent himself as an inside mid? He's certainly got the body for it and although it's easy to say "Selwood out, Holmes in" it's not a like-for-like swap.

OK, I'll stop there - don't want to derail this thread any more than I have!

The thing I noticed with Miers though is that he constantly is in the link from CHB to FF, this year there were plenty of times where he was either getting the ball on the wing and finding a target at CHF, or he was making the run to get the ball and then deliver to the forwards. And he is a better ball user than Menegola on account of the fact that he doesn't tend to just blindly go the long, high 45m-55m kick.

Its why when you compare the two and their most recent 22+ game seasons, you see Menegola often averages higher disposals and i50s by a bit yet Miers with less of the ball has higher score involvements, a better disposal efficiency and less clangers.
Miers also pushes forwards more to kick more goals and set up more goal assists.
I don't think Menegola can be a link up midfielder in the way Miers does and definitely doesn't hurt teams the way he does.

The thing I noticed with Miers though is that he constantly is in the link from CHB to FF, this year there were plenty of times where he was either getting the ball on the wing and finding a target at CHF, or he was making the run to get the ball and then deliver to the forwards. And he is a better ball user than Menegola on account of the fact that he doesn't tend to just blindly go the long, high 45m-55m kick.

Its why when you compare the two and their most recent 22+ game seasons, you see Menegola often averages higher disposals and i50s by a bit yet Miers with less of the ball has higher score involvements, a better disposal efficiency and less clangers.
Miers also pushes forwards more to kick more goals and set up more goal assists.
I don't think Menegola can be a link up midfielder in the way Miers does and definitely doesn't hurt teams the way he does.
Absolutely agree. Miers went past him in the latter part of season 2022, no doubt. And his finals series then absolutely franked that impression. His PF was off the charts for impact.

I have a friend who reckons Sammy Simpson is the bees knees. I don’t see it in the slightest but if he’s right I’ll buy the bloke a slab.

I agree, and I think I said that earlier, I just mean if you HAVE to fit Menegola in, big bodied mid with a long kick on him and a tank but isn't overly pacey and loves a long/high ball sounds like a clearance machine rather than how we run the wings based on this season.

Great points - I hadn't looked at the stats between them.

The frustrating thing about Menegola is that he can deliver bullet-like, precise-as-* passes every now and then... but bombs long too often.

I think Miers is a lock after his last 8-10 games for the season so Menegola won't be taking his spot.

Anyway, will be interesting to see where Sammy slots back in if he can push for a spot next year...

Great points - I hadn't looked at the stats between them.

The frustrating thing about Menegola is that he can deliver bullet-like, precise-as-* passes every now and then... but bombs long too often.

I think Miers is a lock after his last 8-10 games for the season so Menegola won't be taking his spot.

Anyway, will be interesting to see where Sammy slots back in if he can push for a spot next year...
Sammy is a great ball user, if he gets back to where he was he gets in the midfield rotation next season. But I feel like we don't see him til after the mid point of the season. He has missed a lot of football, and in the time he has been gone the team and gameplan has changed dramatically.

They will give him time in the VFL to get upto speed.

If we continue with our midfield rotations like we did this season, if he gets into form and gets matches under his belt he will come back into the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back