Baby_Jenks

Nov 29, 2011
Detroit Lions
Yes the preseason can be a bit bland if you're knocked out early so why don't we make it a bit of fun regardless?

I'm going to assume that you've at least heard of the concept of rugby 7s. If not, imagine rugby union, and take 8 players off the field. Faster, more points, more entertaining, less coaching prowess tactics wise.
WHY? If it's not broken, don't fix it!
Yeah yeah yeah, I agree but if the AFL wants to expand into league territory they'll need to show something that will appreciate i.e. line breaks and fancy foot work. Bombing it from 60 will hardly raise an eyebrow from these folk. Give them something they're supposedly good at, to emulate at home and the slow rot of NRL fandom begins as the embers of AFL fandom begin.

Here's how it would go.

Firstly, smaller fields. Not postage stamp sized but about two kicks long. Two bombs from FB to CHF to Goal. Too simple? Good. Your team can just do that then. Smaller centre square and get rid of the 50m arcs (they wouldn't fit). Deeper pockets for some Acker/Stevie J-esque wizardry.

The congestion I hear you cry. Simple. Get rid of 6 players so instead of a traditional 6 backs, 5mids and 1 ruck, 6 forwards and 4 bench, it's now down to 4backs, 3 mids, 1 ruck, 4 forwards and 4 bench.
16 Players :eek: How can you effectively have a forward press or a defensive flood with only 16 players? You can't. Although it won't stop people from trying. Possibly some extra width on the field to make it harder.

Shorter quarters. 15 mins constantly running game clock. Show it to the players and the fans. Down by 5 with a minute to go? CHARGE! Eliminate the after the siren shot unless it's a free kick. Didn't leave yourself enough time to toss some grass in the air? Tough bickies.
These are league people we are trying to convert remember and they just adore counting down at the end of the game. Listen to the last of half a minute of the next game that's on if you don't believe me. They don't just mumble it under their breath, they scream it.

OK field size, number of players, faster/shorter game. Cool. Only 16 players, wait a sec, what about the rest of your squad? Glad you asked. 2 games in one night! They're already doing that three way thing but that's just stupid.
Footy is between one bunch of people verse another bunch of people. Three bunches is a mexican stand off NOT a footy match.
Make it so that only one player can play from each side can play both games and then you must use different players. See the coaches get something out of this as well. How to manage your talls. Do you play a FF and CHF or FB and CHB? or what about FF and FB? What to do with your ruckmen? Play a backup ruckman on the bench or don't play them at all? dun dun dun. The pressure starts to mount. Now it's about list balance as well?

Playing two full games (even with shorter quarters) sounding like too much for you, never mind the players? Fine then. 15 minute halves. We can get this all over with in the normal time with a slightly longer half time break for coaching adjustments.
On last thing. As two-face said "time to introduce a bit of chaos into your life". With that in mind, if the ball hits the post, play on. Rebounds left, goal!:D Rebounds right, point :mad: Rebounds back into play? Madness!

See everyone wins.

Fans get to see more of their list 31/32 players effectively meaning your draftees will have to play. Ring in fans get to see the pace and excitement of an AFL match sped up. The AFL gets 9 games instead of 6. The players only spend half the time on the ground meaning half the chance of injury. No one notices as Demitrio scoots of with 2 million dollars under his arm.

I prefer my suggestion because I'm really keen to see how my team would line up in this set up, but hey, each to their own.

Close thread before the AFL sees how bad this is and takes it on board
Too true. For the love of AFL, don't email this to Vlad.

And this is just ****ing insane. Surely a troll? I see the NAB Cup as irrelevant and see it being scrapped rather than kept forever.

I think AFL 9's actually exists at an amateur level.

But yeah, the idea is so bad that the AFL might actually take it on, so mods lock this thread and banish it to hell.

Where your sense of adventure.

They could shift games to Rod Laver Arena.

I am starting to look forward to some footy soon. Have nearly got over the GF and my thoughts have turned the the NAB. It always feels a bit strange because of the stupid rules, it is better than nothing , but somehow you know it should be better.

So here is a Perry proposal for you all to have a pop at.
1. Standard season rules to apply.
2. A series of half games over 3 week ends (more below)
3. one ladder, top 4 play off 1 v 4, 2 v 3.
4. Final hosted by top seeded finalist. (total 5 weeks)

What nutty idea have I got for the half games? Well I suggest that sides play 2 half games over a weekend, with two (or three) half games played at a time. Everyone gets 6 half games over the three weeks. For exapmle, week 1 of the NAB could be:
Fri, Gabba, Gold C v Syd and Bris v GWS
Fri, Subi, Freo v Port and WC v Adel

Sat, Hobart, NM v Coll and Haw v Rich
Sat, Skilled, StK v Carl and WB v Melb and Geel v Ess
Sat, Metricon, Bris v Syd, Gold C v GWS
Sat, Subi - WC vPort, Freo v Adel

Sun, Aurora - Haw v Geel, NM v Ess
Sun, Melb - Coll v Rich and WB v Carl and Melb v StK

Unlimmited player changes between days. Everyone gets a game in them over the weekend, but no one has that dead time between games that we get with the three headed games now.
Round 2 and 3 would follow a similar pattern ensuring the fixtures and travel get spread. Probably another weekend in Tassie for NM and the Hawks. West Sydney could get some top clubs palying, do Canberra too? Adelaide Oval?

Would this be better than what we have now?

Baby Jenks, the fact that you think a player who has taken a mark should not have the right to kick at goal after the siren shows that you have no understanding of the spirit of the game. The rules have never and should never reflect a nasty attitude. Fair play mate.