Silvan move to EFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Posted today on the EFL website...

EFL clubs secretaries were today provided notice of an application received by Silvan FC for membership of the EFL for season 2010. Discussions with the EFL board have resulted in the prospect of Silvan entering the EFL at division four level to alleviate the bye that occurred in season 2009. The Silvan FC propose fielding senior, reserve and under 18 teams.
EFL Clubs will vote on the matter on Wednesday 30th September at a special general meeting called for 7.00pm at the Wantirna Sth Club Rooms.

Interesting that the 12 month period is being waived?

Re: Seperate Thread - Silvan move to EFL?

Concern about the spelling of "seperate" in the thread above. Don't know who put it there-either Man In White or Big Footy-but it is clearly a spelling error. See the following from Google:

Seperate: 1. nope. The second most common misspelling on the Internet ... Think: er = error: separate, = correct. seperate, = error ...

SEPARATE

While I'm here, the misuse of the words THERE and THEIR drives a "back in the dayer" like me crazy. The word THERE means a place. Example: Put that box over there. The word THEIR means something that is possessed or owned by someone. Example: Silvan thinks their time in the YVMDFL is over.

Concern about the spelling of "seperate" in the thread above. Don't know who put it there-either Man In White or Big Footy-but it is clearly a spelling error. See the following from Google:

Seperate: 1. nope. The second most common misspelling on the Internet ... Think: er = error: separate, = correct. seperate, = error ...

SEPARATE

While I'm here, the misuse of the words THERE and THEIR drives a "back in the dayer" like me crazy. The word THERE means a place. Example: Put that box over there. The word THEIR means something that is possessed or owned by someone. Example: Silvan thinks their time in the YVMDFL is over.

All true, but one wonders at the need to draw it to our attention. This is a forum, after all, and not an English class. But, having said that......
The function of language is to communicate and you obviously understood what other posters were saying. Despite beliefs to the contrary, (and unlike Cardinal Richelieu's Acadamie Francaise) there is no one supreme authority that controls specific standards for English grammar, spelling, punctuation or syntax! Such "standards" are the fabrication of self-appointed authorities of linguistics or etymology, etc.; many of whom left a legacy of contradictory "rules" that reflected their own prejudices at the expense of orthodoxy. Hence, many grammarians remain at loggerheads. Most of their rules were contrived to make English (a German language from Anglia) conform to Latin grammar - a language of the scholars and one which shared little in common with our own. In the absence of universal constrictions, our language has evolved from a derided peasant language of the Middle Ages, to be among the most chaotic, yet rich, diverse, democratic and therefore relevant, in the modern world.
Further to that, English continues to evolve. Witness the recent morphologies due to Americanisms or texting trends and you might realize u r in danger of becoming a linguistic Canute. Like it or not, English is not mired in one particular era and people will continue to change it, regionalise it and corrupt it. I don't necessarily like it either, but maybe now we can get back to the local footy....
(BTW, separate, is also a derivative of the Latin parare via Middle English and Old French, meaning to cut or remove.)

SEPARATE

who gives a s#*t

Just a question to Belgrave or Emerald supporters, with all the travel in 2nd division what are your positions on moving leagues?? i know you both have a long history in the league but is either club considering moving or happy where you are??

who gives a s#*t

Sid, congratulations to Olinda for the 3 wins-a great day for the club. You, as a Life Member, are presumably a role model for the club's younger members, so it disappoints me to see your response, as shown in the quote above, to my comments about certain aspects of the English language. Are you so dismissive and negative about our culture around your own kids and others at Olinda? You obviously wasted your time reading my message, so why bother wasting more of of it by replying? If you did get the urge, far better to respond "tongue in cheek" as Monniehawk and Man In White did before you.

point taken although you must understand it was an exciting day btw as you live in lysterfield do you follow the mighty beavers in the cricket????

Maybe the league will start shifting their geographic centre more to the north-east.

Teams like Bonnie Doon coming in and Belgrave and 'this-side-of-the-hills-clubs' playing down the mountain in the EFL where the travelling times will be greatly reduced with teams like FTG, Sth Belgrave, Kilsyth, etc. all on their doorstep.

Maybe the league will start shifting their geographic centre more to the north-east.

Teams like Bonnie Doon coming in and Belgrave and 'this-side-of-the-hills-clubs' playing down the mountain in the EFL where the travelling times will be greatly reduced with teams like FTG, Sth Belgrave, Kilsyth, etc. all on their doorstep.

How do you move your geographic centre?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Does anyone know how the vote for Silvan to join the EFL went last night?

From the EFL website...

Eastern Football League clubs last night provided an overwhelming yes to the application for membership from Silvan FC for season 2010.
Consequently,
  • The EFL intends to accept The Silvan Football Club Inc. as an affiliated senior club and a member of the Eastern Football League.
  • The Silvan Football Club Inc will be nominated to participate in division four senior, reserves and under 18’s in 2010.
  • In the club’s first year of competition for fixturing purposes, the Silvan FC will be deemed to have been a middle four club in season 2009
  • The existing Silvan FC uniforms were approved by the EFL board on the proviso that EFL badges are used to replace the VCFL brands and that the EFL will stipulate which of the alternate uniforms will be worn should the EFL consider that a clash of uniform exists in any match. The two blue jumper will be the clubs home jumper.
  • The approval of the jumper with Geelong style hoops as an alternate strip is subject to Doncaster FC determining at its next annual meeting whether they will return to a similar uniform in 2010.
The EFL today advised AFL Victoria, VCFL, and YV&MDFL of its intention to accept the transfer of the Silvan FC to the EFL. The VCFL has ten 10 business days to appeal the EFL’s decision should they wish to do so.

From the EFL website...

Eastern Football League clubs last night provided an overwhelming yes to the application for membership from Silvan FC for season 2010.

Consequently,
  • The EFL intends to accept The Silvan Football Club Inc. as an affiliated senior club and a member of the Eastern Football League.
  • The Silvan Football Club Inc will be nominated to participate in division four senior, reserves and under 18’s in 2010.
  • In the club’s first year of competition for fixturing purposes, the Silvan FC will be deemed to have been a middle four club in season 2009
  • The existing Silvan FC uniforms were approved by the EFL board on the proviso that EFL badges are used to replace the VCFL brands and that the EFL will stipulate which of the alternate uniforms will be worn should the EFL consider that a clash of uniform exists in any match. The two blue jumper will be the clubs home jumper.
  • The approval of the jumper with Geelong style hoops as an alternate strip is subject to Doncaster FC determining at its next annual meeting whether they will return to a similar uniform in 2010.
The EFL today advised AFL Victoria, VCFL, and YV&MDFL of its intention to accept the transfer of the Silvan FC to the EFL. The VCFL has ten 10 business days to appeal the EFL’s decision should they wish to do so.

Just reading the constitution that says that clubs must give 12 months notice to leave the YVMDFNL. Does anyone know different to me, Please let me know

Graeme Tuplin
President YVMDFNL

All true, but one wonders at the need to draw it to our attention. This is a forum, after all, and not an English class. But, having said that......
The function of language is to communicate and you obviously understood what other posters were saying. Despite beliefs to the contrary, (and unlike Cardinal Richelieu's Acadamie Francaise) there is no one supreme authority that controls specific standards for English grammar, spelling, punctuation or syntax! Such "standards" are the fabrication of self-appointed authorities of linguistics or etymology, etc.; many of whom left a legacy of contradictory "rules" that reflected their own prejudices at the expense of orthodoxy. Hence, many grammarians remain at loggerheads. Most of their rules were contrived to make English (a German language from Anglia) conform to Latin grammar - a language of the scholars and one which shared little in common with our own. In the absence of universal constrictions, our language has evolved from a derided peasant language of the Middle Ages, to be among the most chaotic, yet rich, diverse, democratic and therefore relevant, in the modern world.
Further to that, English continues to evolve. Witness the recent morphologies due to Americanisms or texting trends and you might realize u r in danger of becoming a linguistic Canute. Like it or not, English is not mired in one particular era and people will continue to change it, regionalise it and corrupt it. I don't necessarily like it either, but maybe now we can get back to the local footy....
(BTW, separate, is also a derivative of the Latin parare via Middle English and Old French, meaning to cut or remove.)

Monniehawk I love reading your reply even if I dont understand them.

Just reading the constitution that says that clubs must give 12 months notice to leave the YVMDFNL. Does anyone know different to me, Please let me know

Graeme Tuplin
President YVMDFNL

nope pretty much what i thought..... looks like an intersting 10 business days coming up.....what happens in division 1 do the mighty alex boys stay up?:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::D:):eek::p:confused::rolleyes::mad::eek::eek::eek: :cool:

Graeme Tuplin
President YVMDFNL

I'm no legal eagle but I'm guessing that policies of AFL Victoria may override a constitution of a league at a lower level. They seem to be fairly clearcut in this document:

http://www.aflvic.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/PDF/00055136-src.pdf

Re: Separate Thread - Silvan move to EFL?

I'm no legal eagle but I'm guessing that policies of AFL Victoria may override a constitution of a league at a lower level. They seem to be fairly clearcut in this document:

http://www.aflvic.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/PDF/00055136-src.pdf

I can't see anything clear cut. As I read it, any transfer to another league must be approved by the AFLV and each league or club has the right to appeal their decision. The AFLV Appeals Board then has final say after taking into account the arguments presented by each party. If a club has been a member of a legally incorporated body such as the YVMDFL, it surely should accept the constitution and bylaws of that body, assuming they were approved under the state laws of incorporation. By registering with the YVMDFL, Silvan has agreed to, and is bound by, the 12 month clause. I doubt that the AFL would venture to overrule a government approved condition.
If there is an appeal by either party, it would depend on the quality of case presented to the Appeals Board.
On the face of it, Silvan may have a fight on it's hands if the YVMDFL objects.

Graeme Tuplin
President YVMDFNL
Just observing from an EFL point of view, all the talk on here over the last few months has been about everyone wanting Silvan to go, so why would you stop them now? if they want to go why would you want them to stay in your league then still leave in 12 months time.
Just curious.

I agree Footy Rules if they want to go there's no point forcing them to stay as it would be bad for Silvan and the league.
From a VCFL point of view I would say they would be happy with this as it would allow them to slide Bonnie Doon in to Divvy2. So Olinda would go up and either Alex stay up or Kinglake go up leaving 9 in Divvy 2.
Interesting that Bonnie Doon wasn't one of the three sides that met the O&K league which says to me the eggs are all in the one basket and it may be a fait de compli.
I know the clubs get a vote but the VCFL will have the final say as they did with us and Alex when the CGFL disbanded and will do what they want

Remove this Banner Ad

Back