Society/Culture Silver tape, not red tape, is a threat to democracy

Remove this Banner Ad

The Delusionist is the one I've confirmed. Someone else suggested Floor Pie. I suspected Sweet Jesus. There was one other I was sure of, can't remember the name now though. Mods can confirm if they wish.

Why have aliases, particularly when your original account was unbanned?
You'd be surprised. Chief would be disappointed to discover that half of the accounts on Bigfooty are aliases of mine.

giphy.gif

Where is it illegal for residents to do it?
What do you think the reception would be if they found out that their entire internet history was used to apply very specific propaganda, to control their voting status?
Apparently everyone's trying to control the population... except the very people who have been proven to have tried to control the population with relatively sophisticated, directly targeted, illegal political advertising and activities.

I don't know what to categorise this type of thinking as.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently everyone's trying to control the population... except the very people who have been proven to have tried to control the population with relatively sophisticated, directly targeted, illegal political advertising and activities.

I don't know what to categorise this type of thinking as.
You're bordering on racism now.

If the US interfered with a Russian election to have Putin removed, would you be upset? Doubt it. Lol.

You're bordering on racism now.

If the US interfered with a Russian election to have Putin removed, would you be upset? Doubt it. Lol.
The question that goes unasked is that if $100,000 gets Russia that kind of influence, what does more money get? Or are we to believe that Russia is the only one that spent any sum of money on elections through Facebook?

What about China? Or Israel? Or the Saudis?

What about the Koch brothers? What about the Clinton Foundation? What about Soros?

Once you open up that Russia conspiracy theory vein, every other one should be equally valid.

When you think about it critically, Russia's meddling gets lost in the noise.

Last edited:
The question that goes unasked is that if $100,000 gets Russia that kind of influence, what does more money get? Or are we to believe that Russia is the only one that spent any sum of money on elections through Facebook?

What about China? Or Israel? Or the Saudis?

What about the Koch brothers? What about the Clinton Foundation? What about Soros?

Once you open up that Russia conspiracy theory vein, every other one should be equally valid.

When you think about it critically, Russia's meddling gets lost in the noise.
Instead you get the standard neoliberal screech of 'whataboutism' designed to shield the US and its allies from any rightful criticism of hypocrisy.

SDS thinks the silly duct tape pictures discredit the theory that our social media overlords are applying Chinese-style censorship.

My point is that it's branding.

Being 'censored' has becoming another marketing ploy to boost other accounts or generate crowd funding.

Instead you get the standard neoliberal screech of 'whataboutism' designed to shield the US and its allies from any rightful criticism of hypocrisy.
Facebook was first invested in by Peter Thiel, whose Palantir operation itself has connections with the CIA, is a funder of various alt-right causes, and himself campaigned for Trump. If you want a simpler conspiracy theory, there you have it.

When you think about how much more effort the Soviets would have put in to subvert US democracy, its pretty pathetic that a supposed small time army of trolls and hackers did it for cents on the dollar.
When you actually have quality material to work with, its easy to start a viral marketing campaign. Hilary did genuinely appear rotten to the core, so Russia pointing this out got great traction. Hilary didnt do any favors for herself by being aloof and patronizing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back