Universal Love Simmo announces Retirement :((

Remove this Banner Ad

Farewell to an absolute legend of the footy club. He's the first player I remember us drafting, and is without question my favourite Blue. His love for the jumper, his heart and passion, cannot be overstated.

All those years ago, the AFL saw fit to strip us of our first round pick. Little did we know that the very same year, we'd select one of our all time greats with pick 45, a skinny kid who you'd have doubted would survive the rigours of the AFL. From the most ignominious of starts - no touches in his first 3 games and only 12 in his next 3, he went on forge an incredibly resilient career despite his small stature. What he lacked in size he more than made up for in heart and courage. 18 years on, he's seen off every other player from his draft, and in my mind, retires the best of the lot.

Even as I watched old age starting to take it's toll on Simmo, the legs not pumping as fast as they once used to, the kicks beginning to drop off in penetration, I hoped and wished that he'd play on. It's absolutely gut wrenching that it ends like this for a player who deserved so much more. A premiership was forever out of reach for him, but the least he deserved was to go out with at least another finals berth. As disappointed as I was that we let a finals opportunity slip away, it's only made all the more bitter knowing we couldn't do it for Kade.

I sat back on Sunday wondering why it was with Kade that Gibbs swapped jumpers, and I guess in light of his retirement, it all makes sense. I'm a hopeless romantic when it comes to footy, and I'm not sure there's a more poignant moment than Gibbs being carried off by his former teammates. Let's hope the boys can give Simmo the send-off he deserves this weekend.

Vale Kade.

Part of me believes he could have gone on, but I think its the right time. Sad for the man, an absolute legend of the club that deserved much more than he was given over his career.

When you share a milestone group with Bradley, Doull, Nicholls and SOS you know you are an immortal of our club. Thanks Simmo.

This one cuts deep!
What a champion of the club this guy has been. Put in every game,laid his body on the line when it was his time to go and never avoided a contest,tough as nails for such a small guy,its such a credit to him and showed how much he loves the Bluebaggers.
Congrats Simmo!! I was at your first game,watching a scrawny kid running around,barely touched the ball and here we are 342 games later. So disappointed you dont get a send off in front of a packed MCG that you truely deserve. 💙💙

Last edited:
Was my favourite player for a number of years. Loved his courage and desperation although did drive me nuts on the odd occasion with simple skill errors.

Going back a few years, when played mainly on the wing, most of our goals came though his efforts, hard running and skill...made us a 5 goals better team.

All the best Simmo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll always remember the first time Simmo made me stand up and take notice of how good he was going to be. He had the ball, waited for his opponent to commit himself into the tackle before passing the ball to a now free teammate.

That sort of play, putting your body on the line for a teammate, stood out in that team like dogs balls.

Congrats Simmo on your retirement

This one hits real hard. Simmo made his debut when I was in prep, I'm now 22. Safe to say we've been down the bottom of the ladder more times in my life than I care to count. But Simmo remained loyal to the end. Has been one of our best the past few weeks, hope we give him the send off he deserves.

Just wanted to come across and say that this bloke was a champion of the highest order. Always conducted himself professionally and in a humble manner, and always showed a level of courage on the field that rivalled Selwood - despite his meagre frame, haha.

A sad day, but I daresay there wouldn't be many who don't think that this guy is a ripping bloke and has been wonderful for the game for the last 18 years :)

Farewell Simmo!

Eh7XOS6UwAEiMp1

Another legend hangs the boots up. Well played Sir!
Tough news to bear.

Just as with Kreuzer, I thought you had another year at least. In normal times yes but this covid austerity is going to cut many champions out of the game too soon.

Thanks Simmo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back