Universal Love Simmo announces Retirement :((

Remove this Banner Ad

Said the following three years in the linked thread

A fitting tribute, if I say so myself:

The man who bleeds navy blue. Drafted by the club during its darkest period. Hand on heart, if someone said to me that I could have one of Goddard, Wells, or Simpson, I'd take Simpson every day of the week, without hesitation. In a sense he embodies the journey of the Carlton Football Club, revelling in the rare highs, shattered by the many lows. Nevertheless, he always kept his head high and tried his absolute hardest, throwing himself into dangerous contests, and jumping for hazardous marks, that is despite his comparatively slight frame. The moment which impressed upon me the significance of Simpson was after a game in which we were thumped, by, and my memory may be wrong, Hawthorn in 2015. The camera focused upon Simpson in the rooms post-game and he looked absolutely disgusted, and devastatingly disappointed. Now, you'd think he'd have cut himself a bit of slack considering that a terrible Carlton side had just come up against the would be premiers, but it's a testament to the kind of person Simpson is that he didn't. He's probably the player who most deserves success at the club and the sad thing is he won't be around for when Carlton inevitably rise up the table. Nevertheless, I hope he remains with the club in some capacity, so he can get a taste of any future success.

Eh7XOS6UwAEiMp1

Simpson was the last player to play in the last game at Princes Park.

Champion.👍

Not much I can say that hasn't been said already.

From a skinny winger kicking goals on the run to a skinny flanker repeatedly going back with the flight of the ball.

Pure Class, Commitment & Courage.

I would love for the club to show him this thread, so he can see how much his career and efforts have meant to supporters over the years.

Just a gutsy player who never left anything on the field. Week in, week out gave 100% and was rarely beaten. Tough as nails, cool under pressure. The long hair/short beard simpson was him at his best. Think the timing is spot on, has been a few games both last year and this year where his form has been down and another year may have been one too long.

James Brayshaw on mmm always puts it best about simpson, he is a carlton great but criminally underrated around the competition to how good a player he is (more the public than anything else). He then goes on and says how when he represents Australia, playing with other out and out superstars, household names, Simpson is always in the best if not the best on ground.

In my team of the bravest players I've seen in 55+ years of watching this game, Kade gets a gig on one HBF, with Kenny Hunter on the other.
There will be reams written to honour the career of this Blue #6, but the most used word will be some variation of 'courage', followed by heart, durability, dedication, loyalty, fealty.

The Carlton FC will be a very different team to follow without Simmo's leadership.

Congratulations on getting everything out of yourself Kade. It is a trait much to be admired. The end comes even for the greats. Simmo is no doubt one of the greats at Carlton.

All the best with whatever comes next, Kade. Thanks for the memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an absolute champion showing once again his class, courage, dedication and selflessness. Lets hope some of our younger players learn to play with his competitiveness and courage and and a few older players who on form probably should be hanging up the boots before Simmo show his courage and selflessness and make way to allow the younger brigade to make their mark.

Truly sad. I would have liked to have seen him have some success, he deserved better.
Has put his body on the line from the first game (I don't think we'll and he'll ever forget the 3 donuts:)) to the last and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching him run up and down the wings. I'm going to miss the little fella and these are the type of individuals CFC will always treat as legends of our club!

Last edited:
Just turned to my wife and said i think i'm about to shed a tear. He was recruited when i was 13, so has been a constant in my carlton life when i was actually old enough to understand anything about football. absolute legend, criminally underrated by all including our own supporters because his output was so consistent that a good game was deemed as average. will never forget the goal against essendon when we drew in '11 (lets all ignore the fact that he put the ball OOF 3 mins later to setup their match tying behind). pound for pound the toughest player in the league as evidenced by when sharrod wellingham broke his jaw. bloke did alright for someone who looked like your local 3rd year accountant. its a shame he didnt get the send off he deserved in front of a full MCG, but given his career and shying away from the spot light, its probably a little more fitting this way.

A great Blue Bagger indeed, best pick 45 ever for the Mighty Blues , embodies all the positive sterling valves of our great club.
Simmo will be greatly missed, can't image a game of footy without him bobing up to collect the ball and dashing off with the pill. Appreciate the great memories Kade, you've done us proud always.

2020 can * off!!

Thanks for the memories Kade!

Not a standout talent and took the competition a long time to recognise how good of a player Simmo is but boy will I miss seeing him running around in the navy blue!

Heart bigger than Phar Lap, humble, resilient, bled Blue and gave it his all every week. Despite his size, was never scared to put his body on the line, despite the negative outcome that may have been coming his way.

Shattered both personally and for Kade that he won't get to see any more success, but I am very thankful that I got to witness Simo play over the years. I'll definitely miss seeing the skinny bloke running around in the number 6, taking courageous marks, laying tackles and hitting targets with that lethal left foot.

This one is sad

Shared the story a couple of times.....

My daughter wanted the number 6 when she first saw him at training before he played a senior game.

I said, may not play that many senior games. Response, yes he will, I want the number 6

Still has that signed jumper, before he played game 1

Now, to think this kid struggled for a touch in his first 3 games, to then go on to have the career he had, is truly amazing

What I admire most, is players getting the absolute best out of themselves, Simmo, you are on another level in that regard

You should be proud of your career

Remove this Banner Ad

Back