Simmo's Class Warfare

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone think this sounded a bit crook?

View attachment 1184493

Wow. That is one of the most elitist things I've heard in a long long time. Some of the best players in the history of the game have troubled stories/have outside issues - GAJ, Dusty, Fev, Stevie J, Swan etc.

Reckon that would upset a few of the Indigenous boys hearing that, who've had a rough time of it, like TK, W. Rioli, Jamaine Jones, to name but a few.

Poor form.

Incredibly dumb thing to say If you just want to state that you hate the AFL equalisation on department spending

Private school kids from WA

Nat Fyfe, Lance Franklin, Shai Bolton, Patrick Cripps, Stephen Coniglio Daniel Rich

Eagles players from Private schools

Elliot yeo, Liam Ryan, Andrew Gaff, Tom Barrass

Private schools often have much more ability to develop AFL footballers yes, to say these things is pretty s**t-house

Last edited:
Wow. That is one of the most elitist things I've heard in a long long time. Some of the best players in the history of the game have troubled stories/have outside issues - GAJ, Dusty, Fev, Stevie J, Swan etc.

Reckon that would upset a few of the Indigenous boys hearing that, who've had a rough time of it, like TK, W. Rioli, Jamaine Jones, to name but a few.

Poor form.

Not to mention the suggestion that everyone who goes to a public school will have behavioural problems. It is rather insulting really.

Incredibly dumb thing to say If you just want to state that you hate the AFL equalisation on department spending
It wasn't quite to the level of Rendell*, but it's the same path and leads to the same places.

He would probably want to take that back.

*Rendell said that they shouldn't consider drafting indigenous kids who didn't have a white parent.

Not to mention the suggestion that everyone who goes to a public school will have behavioural problems. It is rather insulting really.

Yeah apparently everyone in public school is covered in piercings and tattoos, has a broken home, and gathers around in a giant medieval circle at lunchtime to compete for their rations - gladiator style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd probably keep that kind of stuff in house. It's not as though what he's saying doesn't make sense, if you want to mitigate the risk a fraction you might only draft in private school kids, but articulating that is a little on the nose.

It wasn't quite to the level of Rendell*, but it's the same path and leads to the same places.

He would probably want to take that back.

*Rendell said that they shouldn't consider drafting indigenous kids who didn't have a white parent.

That was pretty much my first point of comparison.

Think the Crows had done a bit of research and shown that success rate was higher for indigenous players with one white parent, but that kind of intel you keep tightly sewn up.

Yeah, I reckon there's quite few females around the country that would disagree that private schoolboys are "not too much of a hastle off-field", with emphasis on the word "hassle".
It actually lets you read the real story between the lines.

Those guys from wealthy or powerful families don't have their stories in the media.

The AFL don't care if it doesn't make the news and doesn't create a problem.

To those writing this off with a 'suck it up princess attitude', I posted this on the Geelong board, and I'll post it here too:

The commentary and the wording matter here for a very simple reason - it sounds elitist, and we currently exist in a very two tiered system of inequality that is ramping up day by day in this country.

You can't have a rich coach, at a rich football club, stating that public school kids from broken homes are unacceptable, and private school kids with happy families are. What you're stating is that your situation that you're born into (which you yourself have no control over), is what will dictate your livelihood. If you went to a public school and you want to play for us, well sorry you're sh*t out of luck because you're problematic and unfortunately we can't afford that risk.

Ask yourself this? What does this then do when it comes to recruiting Indigenous kids - who a lot of them face significant roadblocks in their day to day lives, due to social policy?

The wider implications of this statement are inherently political, and can't simply be written off with a 'drink some concrete and harden the f*ck up' attitude. If you have an attitude of rejecting a class of people on the basis of their situation, then you're basically stating that the AFL is only for the rich and the privileged - and where does that leave us?

Everyone asks for people opinions, and then complain when they get them.

If you take away resources from clubs, then they will pick lower maintenance players. He did not word it the best, but they is basically what he meant.

The implication is that kids who go to public school or have parents that aren't together are a hastle is archaic, elitist and, to be honest, a bit ****ed.

It's not someone I'd expect someone to say in 2021, and it's not something I would I want any high-profile representative of my company ever saying in public.

The implication is that kids who go to public school or have parents that aren't together are a hastle is archaic, elitist and, to be honest, a bit f’ed.

It's not someone I'd expect someone to say in 2021, and it's not something I would I want any high-profile representative of my company ever saying in public.
Yeah, poorly worded.

They can pay a top player a million bucks but can't have a player welfare program?

Pull the other one.

AFL should mandate a % of the salary cap goes into player welfare programs or that amount is forfeited to the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back