Simon’s Grousewins 2017-

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Don’t know WTF I’m doing making a positive thread but thought I’d post a few of the memorable wins from Goodwin’s tenure starting from 2017…

Round 1 def St Kilda 18.12.120 to 13.12.90

Hadn’t beaten the Saints since 2006. Hadn’t beaten them at Docklands since 2002 and had our first win there against another Vic side since 2007. After overcoming a 23 point deficit early in the game, the team effectively flogged the Saints before giving up a couple of junk time goals. Gawn dominated Hickey in the ruck, Hannan looked dangerous on debut, Jones and Oliver were terrific in the centre, while Vince and Lewis both had 30 disposals and kicked a goal each.

Round 8 def Adelaide 17.5.107 to 9.12.66

Faced top-of-the-ladder Crows without Gawn and Hogan. After a tight opening quarter, Adelaide looked like running away with the game in the second before two late goals before halftime kept us in it. The second half became a bit of a procession and Clarry’s miracle snap served as a big highlight. Oliver, Hibberd, Viney and Jones were all in the best for the Dees. While Pedersen’s performance in the ruck with 22 hitouts and three goals was heroic. While Tom McDonald’s two goals were the 11th and 12th of his career.

Round 13 def Western Bulldogs 17.11.113 to 8.8.56

The Bulldogs had started the season as reigning premiers and hadn’t quite been able to recapture that form. Yet, they had been competitive in most of their and had a 6-5 heading into this clash. Melbourne bossed the game from the outset and could’ve won by a greater margin if not for the likes of Harmes and Garlett kicking a combined 3.8 for the match. The game was somewhat overshadowed by Tom Bugg’s low key pregame trolling of Jason Johanissen on Instagram.

Round 14 def West Coast 15.9.99 to 14.12.96

Had been building some form with patchy performances against the Suns and Pies capped off with a comprehensive flogging of the Dogs. This was an entirely different challenge though which saw the Eagles last quarter lead charged down with seconds to spare in a seesawing contest. Gawn returned, but Tom McDonald was the hero with 5 goals in a breakout game as a key forward.

Are there any other obvious games I’ve missed from 2017? If I was to rank these from 1 to 4:
1. Eagles
2. Crows
3. Dogs
4. Saints

Last edited:

Round 9 def Carlton 25.9.159 to 7.8.50

There’s no doubt that Carlton were a rubbish side throughout 2018 but this victory felt good because there was no letup from the Dees. A series of losses as favourites as well as not cashing in on percentage had cost the side a finals berth in 2017 and 2018 had been shaping up similarly with victories trending towards the 4 to 6 goal mark. But, in this encounter Melbourne were merciless from quarter time, gleefully hammering the Blues in a complete rout. Melksham was one of the best afield with 5 goals while Jones was imperious in the midfield with support from Oliver, Tom McDonald and Alex Neal-Bullen kicked four a piece.

Round 10 def Adelaide 23.8.146 to 8.7.55

Absolutely annihilated the Crows in Alice Springs in a slashing performance. Brayshaw was bog with 37 and 3, Hogan booted 5 and Petracca and ANB dominated the forward flanks combining for 45 touches and 6 goals. Lever had his best performance in red and blue to that point.

Round 19 def Adelaide 13.12.90 to 10.17.77

Held on in a tight last quarter to put finals hopes back on track after a heartbreaking loss at Geelong in the previous week. The Crows jumped out to an early lead before they were reeled back in. The game looked be over at three quarter time after Melksham and co put their foot on the Crows throat. As ever there was a final twist in the tail as Eddie Betts loomed dangerously in the wet in the last but we were just good enough to hang on.

Round 22 def West Coast 16.12.108 to 14.7.91

A frustrating loss to the Swans had everyone clutching their ladder predictors heading into this game. The matter was settled with a magnificent Kent long range, set shot goal in the last. A rollicking first quarter and an unlucky early concussion to Jack Darling laid the path to victory but West Coast were still very much a chance late in the game. The look on Nathan Jones’ face when siren went and finals were confirmed will live long in the memory.

Round 23 def GWS 15.12.102 to 8.9.57

Celebrated making finals for the first time since 2006 by belting GWS in the second half in an emphatic performance. Brayshaw, Harmes and Oliver led the change through the middle while Tom McDonald and Petracca kicked 3 each up forward.

Elimination Final def Geelong 10.15.75 to 6.10.46

A five goals to zip first quarter set up the game and Mitch Hannan’s goal in the last settled it. Geelong tried to counter but found it hard to score quickly enough to put on any serious pressure. Nathan Jones’ opening goal of the last quarter was a highlight. Sam Weideman had a breakout performance as a key forward and relief ruckman. While Jack Viney was unbelievable in his first game since mid season with 20 touches and 11 tackles.

Semi Final def Hawthorn 16.8.104 to 10.11.71

The Hawks arguably the better side in the first half but were inaccurate allowing us to have a handy lead at halftime. The third quarter broke open decisively in our favour with Jack Viney’s pinballing effort to evade tacklers ending up with a Brayshaw goal, a highlight. The Hawks pushed hard in the last but Melksham’s left footed bomb from outside 50 steadied the Dees.

Ranking these wins I’d go with:
1. West Coast
2. Geelong
3. Adelaide (Alice Springs)
4. Hawthorn
5. GWS
6. Adelaide (in Adelaide)
7. Carlton

2017/18 felt like we had more enjoyable wins than the past year, was a wild ride despite generally losing to the better teams, and what followed in 2019/20.

that win in Alice Springs probably the happiest ive ever been with how we've played other than the Prelim and Grand Final last year.

Give me bags of goals and ill stay interested and enjoy it.

2017/18 felt like we had more enjoyable wins than the past year, was a wild ride despite generally losing to the better teams, and what followed in 2019/20.
2017 we had the makings of a good side but we’d all too often be up for it against good opposition and be inexplicably flat against some rubbish teams. We lost against Freo at the MCG who were bottom 4, North twice who were rubbish and a very makeshift Collingwood side in Round 23. Not to mention we lost games against Geelong and Richmond from winning positions. Adelaide topped the ladder that season with 15-6-1, we should’ve won up to 4 more games.

We also didn’t run out games very well - in some of our wins we’d reach the point of blowing a team away and they’d kick goals late to get a flattering 3-6 goal loss. Our lack of fitness was also telling in that we went 4-5 out of the last 9 matches and only fell over the line in most of those wins.

2019 Holds nose
Apart from Sydney there wasn’t really a good win in the year that wasn’t an overwhelming sense of relief. It also goes to show how much the result matters. We arguably played better in the losses to Adelaide and West Coast x2 than any win that year.

Round 4 def Sydney 15.10.100 to 11.12.78

In a terrible season, this stood out as a solid win. First win against the Swans since 2010 and first win in Sydney since 2006. Oliver, Gawn and Salem played well while Nathan Jones kicked 3 goals and had 21 touches.

Round 8 def Gold Coast 8.13.61 to 9.6.60

A game that is remembered for its thrilling finish rather than reaching any great heights otherwise. Both sides clanged their way to a tight, dour contest late in the final term with Melbourne’s inability to connect with their forwards making the game an eyesore. Nick Holman put the Suns up by 6 with less than a minute to play. Then, Melbourne were able to get the ball forward from the centre bounce, a clean pickup and sweeping handball from Jayden Hunt was gratefully accepted by Marty Hore who coolly slotted the goal on the run from just inside 50 to level the scores with less than 30 seconds to play. Melbourne won the next clearance with Tom McDonald barely beating the siren with a poster from a messy piece of play. Hunt and T McDonald were the in the best for the Dees while Jones had 28 disposals.

Round 16 def Carlton 15.15.105 to 15.10.100

Like most victories in 2019, this was tinged with relief and frustration rather than joy. Melbourne had bossed the contest for 3 quarters but Carlton charged down a 38 point deficit to lead late in the game. A clutch set shot from Jayden Hunt got Melbourne back in front in the dying stages and the Demons were able to hold on with barely a fit player on the bench in what turned out to their final victory of the season. Tom McDonald was best on ground with 6 goals but suffered a season ending injury late in the third and Braydon Preuss had a solid game in Gawn’s absence.

IMO, Sydney was the only solid win of the year and you can throw a blanket over the rest.

Last edited:

Round 6 def Hawthorn 14.7.91 to 7.6.48

It felt like the first time in two years that Melbourne had authoritatively dealt with a side. Gawn, Petracca and Oliver dominated from the centre, while Weideman booted 3 up forward. Jackson and Pickett gave small glimpses of a promising future as the Dees ran away with the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Round 12 def Collingwood 16.4.100 to 6.8.44

After the season had been teetering at 3-5, Melbourne worked into a solid block of form culminating in a rare win over Collingwood. Gawn missed this clash but Preuss covered ably. Oliver, Petracca, Langdon and Brayshaw were good through the middle while Salem put in a commanding performance as a rebounding defender.

Round 14 def St Kilda 8.4.52 to 7.7.49

A dour affair nevertheless became an important victory for the Dees against a fellow top 8 contender. Christian Petracca booted 4 goals which proved decisive in a tough game. Max Gawn played well against the Saints’ ominous ruck combo of Ryder and Marshall.

Round 17 def GWS 12.7.79 to 11.8.74

After a pair of disastrous results in Cairns, Melbourne rallied to defeat GWS in a thriller to keep their slim finals hopes alive. Melbourne started the game well with a 5 goal to 2 first quarter but the Giants reeled this in and looked to have the game in their grasp heading into a tense final quarter. A marauding Trent Rivers appeared to have sealed the game when his second goal of the evening put the margin out to 11 points before Brent Daniels goaled to set Demon hearts a flutter in the final minutes. Gawn was dominant in the ruck while Langdon played a great game on the wing.

The Giants win in 2020 just made me mad, we played well but it pissed me off coz where was that same energy the two weeks prior with finals on the line in those two debacles in Cairns.

2019 Holds nose
goals and had 21 touches.

Round 16 def Carlton 15.15.105 to 15.10.100

Like most victories in 2019, this was tinged with relief and frustration rather than joy. Melbourne had bossed the contest for 3 quarters but Carlton charged down a 38 point deficit to lead late in the game. A clutch set shot from Jayden Hunt got Melbourne back in front in the dying stages and the Demons were able to hold on with barely a fit player on the bench in what turned out to their final victory of the season. Tom McDonald was best on ground with 6 goals but suffered a season ending injury late in the third and Braydon Preuss had a solid game in Gawn’s absence.

I remember Hannen having a shot from about 55, and the Ball rolled and stopped about a metre from the line. That was one of the craziest things I'd seen in a close game.

We were also 6 goals up in the third and stillmanage to only scrape the win in lol

Round 6 def Hawthorn 14.7.91 to 7.6.48

It felt like the first time in two years that Melbourne had authoritatively dealt with a side. Gawn, Petracca and Oliver dominated from the centre, while Weideman booted 3 up forward. Jackson and Pickett gave small glimpses of a promising future as the Dees ran away with the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Round 12 def Collingwood 16.4.100 to 6.8.44

After the season had been teetering at 3-5, Melbourne worked into a solid block of form culminating in a rare win over Collingwood. Gawn missed this clash but Preuss covered ably. Oliver, Petracca, Langdon and Brayshaw were good through the middle while Salem put in a commanding performance as a rebounding defender.

Round 14 def St Kilda 8.4.52 to 7.7.49

A dour affair nevertheless became an important victory for the Dees against a fellow top 8 contender. Christian Petracca booted 4 goals which proved decisive in a tough game. Max Gawn played well against the Saints’ ominous ruck combo of Ryder and Marshall.

Round 17 def GWS 12.7.79 to 11.8.74

After a pair of disastrous results in Cairns, Melbourne rallied to defeat GWS in a thriller to keep their slim finals hopes alive. Melbourne started the game well with a 5 goal to 2 first quarter but the Giants reeled this in and looked to have the game in their grasp heading into a tense final quarter. A marauding Trent Rivers appeared to have sealed the game when his second goal of the evening put the margin out to 11 points before Brent Daniels goaled to set Demon hearts a flutter in the final minutes. Gawn was dominant in the ruck while Langdon played a great game on the wing.
But here's a few things to consider..
Are you as good as last year?
Have other sides (just under you on the ladder) worked your game plan out yet?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be okay if Melb were to go B2b btw. You guys were pretty sublime last year. Was barracking for you in 3rd quarter. Reckon some wheels have fallen off last 3 weeks tho. Was posting to get some banter to be honest.
Okay You're still off-topic pal

Weird thread to try for banter

But here's a few things to consider..
Are you as good as last year?
Have other sides (just under you on the ladder) worked your game plan out yet?

You forgot to post the third thing, I only see a couple of things "to consider" , not a few

If you could post the other that would be fab, i dont want to miss out considering all the wonderful things you have to say.

Round 4 def Sydney 15.10.100 to 11.12.78

In a terrible season, this stood out as a solid win. First win against the Swans since 2010 and first win in Sydney since 2006. Oliver, Gawn and Salem played well while Nathan Jones kicked 3 goals and had 21 touches.
Forgot to mention Braydon Preuss kicking some ridiculously arsey goals at FF on debut in this game

Round 19 def Adelaide 13.12.90 to 10.17.77

Held on in a tight last quarter to put finals hopes back on track after a heartbreaking loss at Geelong in the previous week. The Crows jumped out to an early lead before they were reeled back in. The game looked be over at three quarter time after Melksham and co put their foot on the Crows throat. As ever there was a final twist in the tail as Eddie Betts loomed dangerously in the wet in the last but we were just good enough to hang on.
One of the more rediculous final quarters we'd ever played. Pissing down with rain and we went full defensive mode and the ball just lived in their 50 for the whole quarter while they slowly crept back. i think eddy betts hit the post with about a minute to go from 1m out which would have brought it under a goal and i was losing my s**t before a rare foray forward got a goal because they had the entire team in our 50. i have vague memories of oscar mcdonald somehow ending up with a shot at goal and missing everything in that final term too. Absoloute panic stations with finals on the line, i still remember the night of nerve calming drinks afterwards, especially given our 2018 backline was as leaky as it gets.

Don’t know WTF I’m doing making a positive thread but thought I’d post a few of the memorable wins from Godwin’s tenure starting from 2017…

Round 1 def St Kilda 18.12.120 to 13.12.90

Hadn’t beaten the Saints since 2006. Hadn’t beaten them at Docklands since 2002 and had our first win there against another Vic side since 2007. After overcoming a 23 point deficit early in the game, the team effectively flogged the Saints before giving up a couple of junk time goals. Gawn dominated Hickey in the ruck, Hannan looked dangerous on debut, Jones and Oliver were terrific in the centre, while Vince and Lewis both had 30 disposals and kicked a goal each.

Round 8 def Adelaide 17.5.107 to 9.12.66

Faced top-of-the-ladder Crows without Gawn and Hogan. After a tight opening quarter, Adelaide looked like running away with the game in the second before two late goals before halftime kept us in it. The second half became a bit of a procession and Clarry’s miracle snap served as a big highlight. Oliver, Hibberd, Viney and Jones were all in the best for the Dees. While Pedersen’s performance in the ruck with 22 hitouts and three goals was heroic. While Tom McDonald’s two goals were the 11th and 12th of his career.

Round 13 def Western Bulldogs 17.11.113 to 8.8.56

The Bulldogs had started the season as reigning premiers and hadn’t quite been able to recapture that form. Yet, they had been competitive in most of their and had a 6-5 heading into this clash. Melbourne bossed the game from the outset and could’ve won by a greater margin if not for the likes of Harmes and Garlett kicking a combined 3.8 for the match. The game was somewhat overshadowed by Tom Bugg’s low key pregame trolling of Jason Johanissen on Instagram.

Round 14 def West Coast 15.9.99 to 14.12.96

Had been building some form with patchy performances against the Suns and Pies capped off with a comprehensive flogging of the Dogs. This was an entirely different challenge though which saw the Eagles last quarter lead charged down with seconds to spare in a seesawing contest. Gawn returned, but Tom McDonald was the hero with 5 goals in a breakout game as a key forward.

Are there any other obvious games I’ve missed from 2017? If I was to rank these from 1 to 4:
1. Eagles
2. Crows
3. Dogs
4. Saints
These were all fun games to watch.

These are things that I recall about them. The St Kilda game Joel Smith played, looked promising then dislocated a shoulder pretty early. Jordy played his first game for the Dees. Paul Roos was one of the commentators and must have mightily pissed off any Saints supporter watching because he never shut up about Melbourne. Most of what he was saying was about Hogan being such a clever player because he can move side-to-side (which puzzled me then and now, because this seems to be a very ordinary threshold for determining brilliance). Max Gawn took a mark just outside the 50 and passed to Bernie Vince who kicked the goal off one step. Which set off Paul Roos in going on for ages about what a clever player Bernie Vince is, and that he knew exactly what he was doing lurking around Max at that moment. He also said at some point that Bernie was playing a blinder off the half back flank. I think this was the first time we played Vince in the backline. Bernie also got in a cheeky elbow to the head of some St Kilda player and got a fine not a suspension. Saints board weren’t too pleased.

The Adelaide game where Clarry did that freak goal that somehow looked as though it clipped all four posts, Jayden Hunt ran headfirst into someone and was knocked out cold, but was shown smiling in the rooms later. I don’t think he has been the same player since then. Or maybe he always was the same player, but it was only afterwards that I really noticed his limitations? Mark Ricciuto was one of the commentators. I didn’t think he was too bad. There was a conversation in the box for a bit about whether Petracca might eventually go to the midfield and would be a player like Ricciuto. Mark pointed out that Trac might well play midfield, but was heavier then him.

Bulldogs game Oscar McDonald got his only ever Brownlow point. TMac got the 3. A mini fight broke out at some point, centred around Tommy Bugg (surprise surprise) and we got an extra goal from the square when he got the decision reversed with a bit of a flop, but I didn’t mind because the whole thing was pretty funny. Nathan Jones did a quad and Jack Watts got injured late too.

West Coast game had Pedo mark and goal in the 4th. I was watching while cooking spaghetti. For some reason we got in a bit late, so I was watching from the beginning on Foxtel IQ so was an hour behind. I forgot to turn off my phone and Apple Watch so got the SMS telling me the result before it got to the freak Tommy goal. This was just as well because the IQ recording ceased about 2 minutes before the end. I was pretty furious and set the IQ to re-record the match when it was next scheduled for a replay in the early hours of the morning.

I feel as though my take-always from these matches are a bit different from yours. It’s a funny old world.

I would like to shout out for the rainbow provided in the second match against the Saints in 2017 because this was the match where James Harmes mysteriously turned into Wayne Carey during the first quarter. Fox Footy started the intro to the match with some stupid graphic of racing cars going around a track neck-and-neck, or bonnet to bonnet anyway. David King was one of the analysts. The significance of the stupid car thing was that there was more or less an idea promoted that whichever of Melbourne or Saints won would determine which would make finals. It wasn’t quite accurate because it wasn’t until the next week or the one after when it actually became mathematically impossible for Saints to make it. Also the Saints board opened a new Kent Kingsley style thread more or less devoted to James Harmes and it was hilarious stuff. And neither of us made finals obviously but I really enjoyed that match because I didn’t know that yet.

Last edited:
that win in Alice Springs probably the happiest ive ever been with how we've played other than the Prelim and Grand Final last year.

Give me bags of goals and ill stay interested and enjoy it.
I loved that coach whatsit weirdo of Adelaide did that freak silent stare thing in one of the breaks. Funniest thing ever. That plus the power stance at the grand final. They really should have thought twice about that collective minds contract

I enjoyed the first couple of pages of the Saints 2017 Harmes thread so much that I went looking for it now. It’s Bigfooty at its best. Particularly notable where schmuttt pops in for a moment of guest like-whoring on page 2. Also I think the nameless ‘soft mullet’ guy that someone refers to is actually the Saints very own Dean Kent. He went through a terrible hair phase around about then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back