SIMON BEASLEY! Epic Tell-All Interview (December 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Strap yourselves in - my new podcast stars 1980's megastar SIMON BEASLEY!

His career is an incredible tale spoken from the mouth of our Club's all-time Leading Goalkicker and features special comments from his great mate, Dougie Hawkins!

Thanks for these podcasts mate. Doing a great job and much appreciated!

I met Simon Beasley in Perth a few years back He's a big bloke, bigger than I imagined.

What a champ he was. Great career.

I love the podcast ITK. excellent work. Looking forward to more.

KM
Haha, we've dubbed Dougie 'The Kennel Master' - we may have to pay you copyright charges!

Glad you like it - yep, Simon was a legend. Please subscribe to my channel for more of these (without giving too much away, we have a 'Captain' and a former coach who also played for us as our first two January podcasts) Both will be magnificent to interview. - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0H1em3LEnlDiEZVr0TqOw

With the bit of chat comparing the 1985 side to 2016 ,
Interesting question ?

I am the right demographic to remember both lists well , so had a go at coming up with what I think is the best combined team .

B. Brad Hardie Rick Kennedy Dale Morris
HB Easton Wood. Peter Foster. Mathew Boyd
C. Doug Hawkins. Steve McPherson Michael McLean
HF. Tory Dixon. Jim Edmond. Liam Picken
F. Brian Royal. Simon Beasley Les Bamblet

F. Andrew Purser. Marcus Bontempelli Tom Libertore

Inter. Clay Smith. Robert Murphy. Tom Boyd Jack Macrae

Those I left out , you can certainly make a great case for :
Steve Wallis
Neil Cordy
Phil Maylin
Toby McLean
Josh Dunkley
Jason Johannisen

Neither List had a natural CHF ?

Interesting question ?

I am the right demographic to remember both lists well , so had a go at coming up with what I think is the best combined team .

Steve Wallis
Neil Cordy
Phil Maylin
Toby McLean
Josh Dunkley
Jason Johannisen

Yes a great comparison. I was a young teenager in 85 but remember all of those players well.

Super was my dad’s all time fav bulldog, but I would have Macrae in the middle, Murph on the HBF and move Boyd to BP for Hardie.

Laly Bamblet - what a player he was.

Kennedy, Morris, Wood, M.Boyd, Foster, Jimmy Edmond, Picken, Libba, Clay Smith - some seriously tough, unconditional footballers amongst that lot.

Who is your skipper ? Dougie for me. My fav footballer ever.

Yes a great comparison. I was a young teenager in 85 but remember all of those players well.

Super was my dad’s all time fav bulldog, but I would have Macrae in the middle, Murph on the HBF and move Boyd to BP for Hardie.

Kennedy, Morris, Wood, M.Boyd, Foster, Jimmy Edmond, Picken, Libba, Clay Smith - some seriously tough, unconditional footballers amongst that lot.

These things always become great talking points.
I certainly wouldn’t disagree with your changes , but I went with Hardie because he was just so talented.
Back then he changed games playing in a back pocket !

Captain , now thats hard also !
I would probably go Jock Edmond , but you almost need to be in the inner sanctum to know.

As for Hawk , also my all time favourite.
Have said it many times on here the most talented Bulldog I have seen. ( Bont right up his clacker )

When I look through the names I have selected , there is one thing that stands out to me.

Who can pick what that is ?

I am an idiot !
re read your post , you have already picked up on it 😜

Seriously tough team , with some exquisitely talented footballers.

These things always become great talking points.
I certainly wouldn’t disagree with your changes , but I went with Hardie because he was just so talented.
Back then he changed games playing in a back pocket !

Captain , now thats hard also !
I would probably go Jock Edmond , but you almost need to be in the inner sanctum to know.

As for Hawk , also my all time favourite.
Have said it many times on here the most talented Bulldog I have seen. ( Bont right up his clacker )

When I look through the names I have selected , there is one thing that stands out to me.

Who can pick what that is ?
50/50?
Serious midfield!

I think the interview was excellent. It is most interesting to hear how ex-players such as Beaza felt about other players, teams and specific games from their points of view. The 85 Prelim Final is indelibly imprinted in my memory (for all the wrong reasons) but what was fascinating was that Beasley, and I suspect the whole team, saw it as an opportunity missed because they were very confident of beating Essendon had they gone through.
The Inside The Kennel boys should be congratulated for providing this very entertaining and insightful program particularly in the off-season when we crave any news and interesting discussion topics.
I for one will be welcoming each new instalment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting question ?

Steve Wallis
Neil Cordy
Phil Maylin
Toby McLean
Josh Dunkley
Jason Johannisen

Not bad. I still rate Steve Wallis as one of the toughest, and most under-rated, Bulldogs of all time. Played through injury in 1989 because he believed as captain he should set the example, and held no grudges when replaced by Hawk in 1990. A great club man. Hard to believe he wasn't in the TOTC.

I think the interview was excellent. It is most interesting to hear how ex-players such as Beaza felt about other players, teams and specific games from their points of view. The 85 Prelim Final is indelibly imprinted in my memory (for all the wrong reasons) but what was fascinating was that Beasley, and I suspect the whole team, saw it as an opportunity missed because they were very confident of beating Essendon had they gone through.
The Inside The Kennel boys should be congratulated for providing this very entertaining and insightful program particularly in the off-season when we crave any news and interesting discussion topics.
I for one will be welcoming each new instalment.
Thanks for the kind feedback - its an easy job when you have Beaza in the guest chair. If only we had beaten the Hawks - imagine the memory we would have with Simon, Dougie, Choco, Wally, Fozzy, Hardie, Magic, Lally, Jock, Supa, Ricky, Wagon and co as Premiership players. Sometimes the footy gods are w***ers.

Interesting question ?

Steve Wallis
Neil Cordy
Phil Maylin
Toby McLean
Josh Dunkley
Jason Johannisen

Seriously good team. Hard to leave out the Norm Smith Medalist. Also Steve Wallis was unstoppable. Old mates Stringer and Hunter miss out?!

Interesting question ?

Steve Wallis
Neil Cordy
Phil Maylin
Toby McLean
Josh Dunkley
Jason Johannisen

What an awesome team.

I know that you can't fit them all in, but Tony Buhagiar was very, very good in that one season he spent at the Dogs.

And what could have been with Lally Bamblett...injuries are cruel.

What an awesome team.

I know that you can't fit them all in, but Tony Buhagiar was very, very good in that one season he spent at the Dogs.

And what could have been with Lally Bamblett...injuries are cruel.

Yep the buggie was great that year , don’t know who I could leave out for him !

Same as leaving Wallis out , it was him or MBoyd .
But Boyd’s year in 2016 , particularly the finals campaign , he just had to be in the team.

And Lally should have been a Bulldog superstar 😢
It was a privilege to have least seen most of the 50 odd games he played for us.
I think he kicked 8 at Victoria Park one day
Happened to be there .
just luck cause I never went to that hell hole normally !

Seriously good team. Hard to leave out the Norm Smith Medalist. Also Steve Wallis was unstoppable. Old mates Stringer and Hunter miss out?!

😅 If you are going to throw up names to go in , give me the names that go out !

Just my opinion, but no way Hunter is better than McLean for one of the wings.
And Stringer couldn’t possibly replace anyone in that forward half .

Says me - BF expert 😜

😅 If you are going to throw up names to go in , give me the names that go out !

Just my opinion, but no way Hunter is better than McLean for one of the wings.
And Stringer couldn’t possibly replace anyone in that forward half .

Says me - BF expert 😜
How do you think Stringer compares with Edmond? A great deal of similarities (character aside!). Its a close run race.

You could mount an argument for Hunter also to replace Clay Smith, though Clay's toughness stacks up in September. I don't think Wallis can be left out in any case and I have him ahead of Supa MacPherson as staring centerman. Ps, I LOVE Supa.

Clay is the mate you want beside you in the trenches.

That counts for a lot in my book. Anyone who needs convincing didn’t watch the 2016 preliminary final.

A tragically short career but a bullgod nonetheless.

Who was the greatest field kick that Beaza played with? Brad Hardie? Tony McGuinness? Magic McLean? Kelvin Templeton? Jimmy Edmond? Steve Wallis? Brian Royal? Stevie Macpherson? One man stood out: "We had an innate understanding...his skill level on both sides of the body was incredible!!..."

Listen from the 41 minute mark for 90 seconds as Simon reveals the silkiest exponents AND the best of all time:

Attachments

• 71e9ce9337590be5c21b110a27407c01.jpg
    71e9ce9337590be5c21b110a27407c01.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 19
  • BH-Brad-Hardie6-HOF.jpg
    BH-Brad-Hardie6-HOF.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Dwm4mK3XgAAvVug.jpg
    Dwm4mK3XgAAvVug.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.33.54 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.33.54 am.png
    318.2 KB · Views: 18
Interesting question ?

Steve Wallis
Neil Cordy
Phil Maylin
Toby McLean
Josh Dunkley
Jason Johannisen

I think this team would genuinely be unstoppable!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back