Retired Simon Black (1997-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

So proud to have been able to attend this wonderful tribute lunch to Simon Black. - photos here

Op1yzaa.png

apologies to bump this up.

I have had a few beers and have been watching a few highlights on the youtube and watched the 03 grand final........ I miss this man running out with the number 20.

We should all feel privileged to see him wearing the lions jumper... and only the lions jumper.

as i said, i am a tad drunk and i apologize but f&*k i miss this guy. So glad he stayed for the coaching role

Retrogram delves into the News Limited Archives to uncover some of the most underrated footballers of all time

4. SIMON BLACK (Brisbane Lions)
His name rarely comes up in discussions about the greatest footballers of the AFL era, but Simon Black’s CV suggests others wise. He remains the only man (of more than 12,000 league players) to have played 300 games, saluted in a premiership (three), and won a Brownlow as well a Norm Smith Medal. For context, Chris Judd and Jimmy Bartel are on track to join his exclusive club next season. Black’s vision and handballing are the equal of any of the modern stars, while his teammates spoke of incredible work ethic. His coach, Leigh Matthews, said he compared to Greg Williams, in that he was not spectacular, but highly effective: “You could miss a lot of their work live.’’ Upon Black’s retirement last year, teammate Jonathan Brown described him as “one of the greatest competitors to ever play the game’’ and said he should go straight into the Australian Football hall of fame as soon as he is eligible.

786091-1f2a12a8-2cee-11e4-a978-2255e0b773c2.jpg

Probably not the greatest timing to post this given the last post but Blackys signature is arguably more important than Aishy to extend his original 2 year deal. You'd think there's be a few clubs with bigger cheque books than ours after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he signed on for another term as assistant coach? I would have thought he would head somewhere else to broaden his experience a bit

Black opens up on dad, fear of failure

BRISBANE Lions legend Simon Black has opened up about the profound influence his late father Ray had on his decorated football career. Black, on Open Mike, discusses a range of issues from a career that finished with 322 games, three premierships, a Brownlow Medal and a Norm Smith Medal.

He said none of that would have been possible without the guidance and support of Ray, who died last year after a short battle with illness. “We were (best mates) … the hours he spent with me to help me fulfil my dreams and to give me that belief that you can go and play AFL footy, you can do whatever you want,’’ Black said.

“He taught me to kick a footy and he gave me a lot of time as a kid. He had a business himself and he was a very, very busy man but the great thing to Ben (brother) and I that he gave us, was his time and self-belief. He essentially gave us our self-esteem.’’

Black said his father was angry about an incident in the 1999 preliminary final that left him with blurred vision for an extended period of time. Kangaroos fullback Mick Martyn broke Black’s eye-socket but was cleared to play in the decider after the Lions star chose not to testify against the North Melbourne enforcer. “I appreciate how hard it is to get to a grand final so I’m happy Mick played in a grand final,’’ he said.

Martyn apologised at a grand final function recently for the hit, which Black agreed would attract an eight-week ban in the current climate. Black also reveals he struggled with nerves and anxiety before games and was motivated by the “fear of failure’’.

He admitted he felt homesick in his first season at the Lions in 1998 but once he forced his way into the senior side on a regular basis in 1999, he did not want to leave. Black was a pillar of the club’s premiership three-peat but considers himself lucky to have been a part of the historic run.

“I was blessed, no question. I was very fortunate to play in that side,’’ Black said. He said he idolised his former captain and coach Michael Voss before — and after — he got to the club and rates him as one of the best three players he has seen alongside Gary Ablett Jr and the young Chris Judd.

He said Brisbane’s extended stay in the bottom half of the ladder in recent years was “frustrating and challenging’’ but he was determined to be a part of the revival in his role as an assistant coach.

Would be interesting how much of an influence Black (and Leppitsch and Craig Lambert) has over Sam Mayes (and of course any other young non-Brisbane recruit) and being able to deal with homesickness and sticking fat with an organisation. Clearly hasn't worked with a host of guys, notably Polec, Yeo, Aish et al., but would be interesting all the same the level of influence / communication is had with these young guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back