Retired Simon Black (1997-2013)

Simon Black named Brisbane’s best player of the decade at the Lions’ Hall of Fame gala in Melbourne

SIMON Black was named a King of the Pride as Brisbane’s best player of the decade last night at the Lions’ Hall of Fame function.

The Lions champion was the ultimate team man and the award was voted on by the people whose opinions he valued the most; his teammates.

A sold-out gala event at Melbourne’s Grand Hyatt ballroom saw eight inductees into the Hall of Fame, including Brisbane premiership pair Luke Power and Jason Akermanis, while Fitzroy great Garry Wilson was elevated to Legend status joining Haydn Bunton, Kevin Murray and Michael Voss.

Black is not eligible to enter the Hall of Fame until next year, but he stole the show when it was announced he had won the King of the Pride award for the decade between 2007-16.

The award is voted on by the players and Black narrowly edged out long time teammate Jonathan Brown while his best mate Luke Power was third.
Black humbly said he was surprised to have received the nod ahead of Brown.

“It is a massive honour,’’he said.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Heard an interview with Derek Kickett last night....apparently he was inducted in to the WAFL HoF...

He mentioned that Simon Black was another inductee.

Joel Corey was too..

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche; Houston Rockets
Just watched the Fantastic Five video of Blacky on the AFL website - just reminded me of the amazing game he played in the 03 GF. No doubt the Pies knew they needed to put work into him, but the space he was able to find all day was remarkable. A true Lions legend!

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I watched most of the 1st ever season of the international version of this, might have to have a sneaky look tonight to see how Simon goes. Are these supposed to be celebrities because at a quick scan I only know Blacky and ET from Rugby League, I do watch very little main stream media though.

5 Best Finals Performances In Lions History

Simon Black – 2003 Grand Final

2540287.jpg

As the Lions completed their premiership hat-trick the champion midfielder was positively sublime. He had an equal career-best and equal grand final record 39 possessions, including a career-best 25 contested possessions against Collingwood at the MCG. Plus, nine tackles, nine clearances and a critical goal just before halftime. And he did something that would be considered unthinkable in the modern game – he played 100% game time. He was a unanimous choice as best afield as he became just the third player in AFL history after Greg Williams and James Hird to win a Brownlow Medal, a Norm Smith Medal and a premiership.

Back