Simon Black v Scott Pendlebury?

Simon Black v Scott Pendlebury?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Black.
Tougher era where taggers could get away with much more.
He also displayed his brilliance when Akermanis, Voss, Lappin moved on and it was left to himself & Power to carry the midfield.

Black like every Brisbane player from that side seems to get better and better with each day following retirement. No doubt he was a gun player and in a champion team, but he wasn’t as good as he’s so often made out to have been. Remarkably good ball user out of the middle and he didn’t make mistakes, but he didn’t have the volume that Pendles has always had.

Pendlebury plays at a higher level more consistently. Black basically never ever played a bad game, but he didn’t as frequently play at the high level that Pendlebury has for so long. If he did, he’d have won more than 3 AA jumpers, and at least one in a year where he wasn’t surrounded by premiership players. His last jacket came in 03 at 24 years old, Pendlebury made his sixth last year at 31 and so far in 2020 has still not let down.

Black was a gun but Pendles has gone past him, however Collingwood players lose every poll so I’m not surprised at the early numbers. Pendlebury would lose a poll to Daniel Kerr.
Agree with all of this. Black imo is overrated. Only 3 AA. Even in his best years he was a smooth extractor rather than a super damaging playmaker. Wasn't involved in heaps of score involvements. Surrounded by absolutely elite talent to lighten the load. Their best is similar, but Pendles' longevity means he gets the nod easily for mine.

Tough one. I feel like Black is slightly overrated and Pendles is underrated, at least on BF. So going on the poll, that puts them about even?

Black's performances post peak-Brisbane are impressive, but he definitely benefitted from playing with Voss and Aker for a lot of his career. Pendles had Swan of course, but he also proved to be extremely hard to tag regardless. Never seen a smoother mover in traffic than Pendles, and his finishing ability gives him an extra dimension.

Black came second in the Brownlow twice, in 2007 and 2008... so arguably the second best midfielder in the comp at age 28 and 29... both those years very unlucky to not be AA... he didn't get the luxury of playing Friday night footy every 2nd weekend too (which certainly helps in awards like AA).

I think it's fair enough people think Black edges out Pendles.
Brownlow is pretty flawed mate, some players stand out more than others, Judd received 3 votes against Collingwood in 2010, Carlton lost by heaps and Judd absolutley butched the ball almost every time he got it, that's where the ole '3 votes Chris Judd' came from, Swan was best on ground by a mile and didn't get a vote iirc, in turn costing him the medal.

Black playing in a stacked midfeild possibly helped him, i mean who do you tag out of that group? Pendles has had to deal with tags as much as any player in the comp, Pendles has been better for longer IMO.

Black is Brisbane's greatest ever player.
Is Pendlebury, Collingwood's.
Possibly, yes as well, so I'd love either in my team.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd argue their both pretty similar players both smooth moving can accumulate both can kick a goal.

I'd say their even at this stage maybe if Pendlebury can win another Premiership late in his career it would give him the edge.

Black is Brisbane's greatest ever player.
Is Pendlebury, Collingwood's.
Possibly, yes as well, so I'd love either in my team.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nah i'd have Voss ahead, wasn't much between the fab 4 though, all had different strengths which is probably why they were so successful.

Voss the bull.
Aker the magician
Black the silk
Lappin the workhorse.

All 4 oozed class.

IMO Voss was over rated.
Very good player, but not at the same level as Black.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back