Rumour Simon Goodwin, Bailey's replacement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Triple M this morning had Dits hounding Roo over the rumour. Roo didn't confirm or deny it, but the way he spoke about it made it sounds it may have some truth to it.

Roo did the usual "I haven't spoken to him, but someone else might have".

Make of it what you will.

Personally, not sure he's the best choice. Would have liked someone with some senior experience. Although, if we can't get someone with senior experience, a good senior assistant would have to do.

That'll change the boys club perception.

In all seriousness though, every Essendon person I've spoken to regarding Goodwin is glowing in their praise of him. I'd like to see him associated with the club again - I'd prefer Bassett though.

I'd be happy with him on the coaching staff... but not as Bailey's replacement.
my thoughts as well

should be going after someone like bomber thompson or mark harvey IMO

exactly. someone who has coached at senior level
To be fair, Goodwin has coached 1 game at senior level! :p

I agree though, would be happy to have him join the staff given how much he gets talked up at Essendon, but the Bailey role doesn't seem fitting giving his lack of head coaching experience.

Without being given the head role, would he really want to come to Adelaide? I assume he'd be aiming to become a head coach at a club and that wouldn't appear all that likely at Adelaide given how many years Sando still has.

Voss and Harvey I thought were pretty unimpressive as tacticians in their senior coaching roles. I know Bailey didn't exactly win a lot of games but he was widely respected for his football brain.

I'd like to see Goodwin in that senior assistant role. I don't think Bomber or Worsfold are realistic candidates.

Surely if he came, the rumours of him taking over from Sando would start immediatley. Not a good move IMO. Again, the best man for the job just happens to be an old boy of the AFC?
To me, the old boy thing is when past players or friends of start getting gigs NOT based on what they have done in the industry (ie Smart, Trigg). Goodwin is forging his own credible reputation.

To me, the old boy thing is when past players or friends of start getting gigs NOT based on what they have done in the industry (ie Smart, Trigg). Goodwin is forging his own credible reputation.
His first point was the critical one, and I'm not sure sando would like it, there would always be speculation goody is just there to take over, especially with roo on the board.

Voss and Harvey I thought were pretty unimpressive as tacticians in their senior coaching roles. I know Bailey didn't exactly win a lot of games but he was widely respected for his football brain.

I'd like to see Goodwin in that senior assistant role. I don't think Bomber or Worsfold are realistic candidates.

How can someone be a "senior" assistant when they don't have experience as a head coach ?

Voss IMO would be the perfect fit. He wouldn't be coming over to be coach, he would be coming over to provide assistance and some offer some alternate thinking at matchday. Personally I think Voss is great in his role in tactical anlyasis on Fox Footy. From what's been said it seems that Voss' problems at Brisbane were more based around his player management skills rather that a lack of tactical nous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, Goodwin has coached 1 game at senior level! :p

I agree though, would be happy to have him join the staff given how much he gets talked up at Essendon, but the Bailey role doesn't seem fitting giving his lack of head coaching experience.

Without being given the head role, would he really want to come to Adelaide? I assume he'd be aiming to become a head coach at a club and that wouldn't appear all that likely at Adelaide given how many years Sando still has.

Maybe.

Exactly this. I have no problem with ex players ending up on our staff if they've actually left the nest (pun not intended), gained experience elsewhere, and become highly rated OUTSIDE of the AFC. Everything I've ever heard about Goodwin since he went to Essendon is that he's a fantastic coach, and brilliant with the individual players. Handy for a punting tip too apparently.

In all seriousness - would love him as midfield coach instead of Campo but the perception of the AFC boys club will certainly continue if we appoint him.

666582-nathan-bassett.jpg

Seems like a better replacement for Mark Bickley than Dean Bailey, as we should be looking to upgrade and get in more experience in most positions. Was Deans role supposed to change this year? so perhaps they aren't looking to replace his 2012 role.

He's a senior assistant now

Chalk and cheese though

We actually need an experienced head in there helping Sanderson. I imagine that it's a totally different role than what he's doing currently at Essendon. I would be more than happy for Goodwin to come back to the club, but we need someone with far more experience than Goodwin as Sando's wingman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back