Rumour Simon Goodwin, Bailey's replacement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sando's tried that with Bicks, Clarke and Campo this year, and we still dont think he can coach ;)

Too many ugly campaigners and you just start to blend in with the crowd perhaps?

Don't want anyone from Essendon anywhere near us until the ASADA saga is well and truly over. And that includes Goodwin. Goodwin has been in trouble in the past for poor behaviour and judgement and the last thing we need is more of the 'old boys club'. Pass.

Don't want anyone from Essendon anywhere near us until the ASADA saga is well and truly over. And that includes Goodwin. Goodwin has been in trouble in the past for poor behaviour and judgement and the last thing we need is more of the 'old boys club'. Pass.

Oh and I forgot to say if Roo is encouraging/supporting this, then that's really disappointing. I hope he was just being diplomatic and there's no basis to the rumour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bassett IMO is also a far better communicator than Goodwin. Even tough Goodwin had a stint as captain I'm just not convinced that he possesses the alpha male type personality and authority that it takes to be an effective leader whereas Bassett has that quality in spades.
Goodwin not alpha male ? You're kidding right. He basically willed himself to be an AFL player, then became our equal toughest player for about 10yrs. You think Roo becomes best mates with shy retiring types ?

I can't think of one area where Goodwin is ahead of Bassett.

Bassett is the man we want.

I agree. But let him take the position of senior coach. That means leaving Sando in place to finish his contract. By then Bassett would have had a few years exposure to how another club (Essendon) works. Given the turmoil that Essendon has gone through recently and given their ability to get into the eight during these tough times I believe the exposure that Bassett is getting will only make him a better coach than what he was at Norwood and we all though highly of him then. Bring him in too quickly would not be as beneficial.

This is his 4th season at Essendon, 3 years as midfield coach and now currently fills the senior assistant role. So his role wouldn't change at AFC if he joined.

Clearly done a good apprenticeship so far.
Also involved in the biggest scandal to hit the AFL EVER. I would rather see that all played out before we made a move on him. Knowing our luck, we hire him and ASADA slap him with a show cause notice that leads to an infraction and two year ban.

Also involved in the biggest scandal to hit the AFL EVER. I would rather see that all played out before we made a move on him. Knowing our luck, we hire him and ASADA slap him with a show cause notice that leads to an infraction and two year ban.
And doesn't have the greatest track record of making good decisions off the field.

Exactly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back