Rumour Simon Goodwin, Bailey's replacement?

Remove this Banner Ad

A superstar player may not be the right term, but all of our coaches currently are more "technical" coaches, rather than inspirational ones.

The worst thing with this is our skills are deplorable, very few footballers we have drafted in the last few years have noticeably improved their basic skills (kicking, handball etc). We really lack somebody to give the lads a good rev up before or during a match.

I think that would be as destructive as appointing shame charters strength and conditioning coach

Goody wants to be a senior coach. He has ambition and some credentials. He'd destabilise Sando just by being there. it would look like plan b was already in waiting. A fallback. A favourite son, just biding his time

It would look like that to the other coaching staff, the supporters, the players and Sando. It would diminish the chain of command.

I agree with that, but it would be nice if we ended up being a breeding ground for senior coaches. Sando's present position makes it hard to recruit an experienced assistant who is effectively looking for 2 years in a different environment that has reasonable challenges that will top off their CV. My concern is that our weakened coach will require lesser quality support due to the reasons stated above. The end result is that we end up with L plate assistants or a cooked senior assistant. Would be nice if we had to constantly worry about our coaches being poached when other senior gigs come up.

Baileys replacement should be Sandos selection if this person is purely his game day assistant and mentor. Someone like Bomber Thompson would be ideal as he may be looking to "get out of Dodge" next year.
They have worked together before and there is no threat of him undermining Sandos position
I too agree that it should be Sando's choice, as long as it's endorsed and supported by the club's key personnel. After all, Sando's job will on the line next season so he'll want someone who can help him and move us up the ladder.

I too agree that it should be Sando's choice, as long as it's endorsed and supported by the club's key personnel. After all, Sando's job will on the line next season so he'll want someone who can help him and move us up the ladder.

I would like David Noble as the head of football to recruit this role with the view of a strong candidate that can not only support Sando but can also easily step up and replace him on short notice if required

A little internal pressure won't go astray

With all due respect to Dasher Milburn, he wouldn't have the faintest clue what it's like to be as talented as Taylor Walker or Patrick Dangerfied.

There's probably only 3-4 existing Assistant Coaches in the league that had the talent of Tex/Danger.

Not every star player has the ability to coach.

There's probably only 3-4 existing Assistant Coaches in the league that had the talent of Tex/Danger.

Not every star player has the ability to coach.

Buckley is the perfect example, knows how to 'do' what he wants but doesn't relay the message to his players very well.

I'm not sure how someone with playing talent should be any more considered as a coach compared to someone with little/none.

Some of the best coaches in other sports have been those with little playing talent (compared to their peers) yet plenty of brains/smarts that had them play the level they did in the first place.

I'm not sure how someone with playing talent should be any more considered as a coach compared to someone with little/none.

Some of the best coaches in other sports have been those with little playing talent (compared to their peers) yet plenty of brains/smarts that had them play the level they did in the first place.

That's true - my point was more to illustrate the need for a cross-section of personalities on the coaching panel.

the best players dont need to work out little ways to cheat against a better opponent ie. a little grab or a hold, block them they just use natural ability to win the ball. Therefore, as coaches they wont make the less talented players better thus someone like Milburn is likely to a good coach as he had to use his smarts. Darren Jarman wouldnt probably be a good kicking coach because he had a naturally beautiful kicking action which very rarely went wrong so why would he know how to fix a temporarily faulty kicking action.
Hird for example didnt kick on the left at all because he had the talent to use the banana to kick accurately when hemmed in on his left - if most players did that or you coached that then mostly it would have disasterous results. Which is why Stevie J can kick around the body all he likes but Pods should stop doing it right now - he doesnt have the talent so the drop punt in the higher % kick - i wish someone would tell him that.

Of former senior coaches still out there
Worsfold I'd take but has he already ruled himself out?
Thompson has the runs on the board, will he have the commitment
Voss not enough results
Choco no
Ratten I'd take and if I had to bet on it I'd put my money on him

Of former senior coaches still out there
Worsfold I'd take but has he already ruled himself out?
Thompson has the runs on the board, will he have the commitment
Voss not enough results
Choco no
Ratten I'd take and if I had to bet on it I'd put my money on him
Mark Harvey?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be happy with Rodney Eade if he is at all procurable, probably one of the best coaches to never win a Premiership, did extremely well with some pretty ordinary playing lists over his time. Has plenty of the "right" experience and by all accounts calls a spade a spade. I'd have been happy with Rocket as our senior coach when Sando was chosen.

I thought i knew what we are looking for. However Sanderson made it clear that's not what he needs, he doesn't need someone to hold his hand anymore like 3 years ago. Week or so ago Ricciutio very unconvincingly denied he had spoken to Goodwin about returning to Adelaide.

We might now be looking for someone to keep Sanderson on his toes.Someone with a touch of ambition to coach at the highest level again.

I'd be happy with Rodney Eade if he is at all procurable, probably one of the best coaches to never win a Premiership, did extremely well with some pretty ordinary playing lists over his time. Has plenty of the "right" experience and by all accounts calls a spade a spade. I'd have been happy with Rocket as our senior coach when Sando was chosen.
Sando needs a rocket under him, or is it over him.

Perfect role for Malcolm Blight if he could be convinced. (he's in a similar role now on at the Gold Coast i think?)

Last edited:
I do think a forward coach needs to understand the MIND of a forward more than anything else.

I see a lot of similarities between Tex and Modra in the way their football brains work. Nature created these blokes to kick goals. I'd say 99% of their brains are devoted to miraculous football deeds inside 50, and the other 1% is devoted to eating/talking/sleeping/shitting. (With talking, Mods might have been less than 1%).

I wouldn't have trusted Bickley with Mods and I don't trust him with Tex.

Bicks is a very logical individual. That's the problem with our coaching group, and our club as a whole. Too much logic, not enough magic.
You can't teach magic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back