Toast Simon Goodwin - Hall of Famer

Remove this Banner Ad

(I reckon if isn't the current Dees coach, who had beaten our team earlier this year, we'd be even more glowing of Goody)
Reckon? o_O
I'll bet his heart of hearts is with the Crows (like Ablett with Geelong). I'd hope the Crows Admin. have their eyes on Goodwin and Nathan Bassett (defence coach at PA, but I won't hold it against him) as future Crows' Assistant or Senior Coach.

Firstly, congrats to Goody for his well-deserved recognition last night, which is what this thread is about.
Digression is common in here.
CrowsDude commented that Craigy was a great coach, also pointing out that Craig "is our only coach to have made 5 finals in a row". Fair enough. He was Goodwin's coach and Goody spoke very highly of him. The players have got to shoulder most responsibility for not turning one of those series into a flag, especially Ricciuto (** see below).
Then
Craig wasn't a bad coach, he just wasn't a truly great one
which seems fair since he didn't take us to a flag.
I wasn't going to say anything at all about Craigy (the thread's about Goodwin, right?) until this:
Bahahahaha thanks for the laugh
and this:
In what world was this?
Those 2 contributions are negative, sarcastic comments only, offering no evidence either way about Neil Craig.
Sanders takes the cheap shot (again) via a question which I'm prepared to answer: in this world. If you disagree, please say why, or take it up with Goodwin himself who praised Craig most generously.
Btw, in 2005 the St. Kilda loss at home had **Ricciuto out suspended (hardly Neil Craig's fault) and the St. Kilda midfield dominated without him --- Harvey and Dal Santo were BOG and 2nd BOG. Ricciuto was easily worth the 8 points we lost by. That put us away to West Coast after we belted PA *wonderful memory* --- Goody was one of our best that day, to no avail.

Btw, in 2005 the St. Kilda loss at home had **Ricciuto out suspended (hardly Neil Craig's fault) and the St. Kilda midfield dominated without him --- Harvey and Dal Santo were BOG and 2nd BOG. Ricciuto was easily worth the 8 points we lost by. That put us away to West Coast after we belted PA *wonderful memory* --- Goody was one of our best that day, to no avail.
that's the crows way, lose one player to injury or suspension (or a tag) and all bets are off.

to only kick 57 points in a home qualifier after finishing top of the ladder... that's an embarrassing choke, no two ways about it.

We're starting to see and hear some interesting, insightful things from Goodwin now that he's coaching and doing more media. Stuff that explains the high regard he's always been held in within the clubs he's been involved with. When he played for us we always heard what a great leader he was but he gave absolutely NOTHING through the media which is our only connection. The most boring, mundane speaker I'd ever heard. Made Craigy seem like Eddie Murphy by comparison. Essendon were in raptures about him when he went there and I was like, really? Great player but how could this boring, monotone cliche merchant who hadn't given a single indication that he was a switched on thinker, brimming with football nous or insight suddenly be this great coach in waiting? Seeing a bit more of it now. I guess not everyone is comfortable with the media and for some the 'public message' holds minimal importance anyway.

that's the crows way, lose one player to injury or suspension (or a tag) and all bets are off.
to only kick 57 points in a home qualifier after finishing top of the ladder... that's an embarrassing choke, no two ways about it.
Mostly agree, even if I think you're being a bit tough on the Crows. It happens to all teams.
Many strong teams that lose a really good player via injury or suspension are vulnerable the following week/s. In Ricciuto's case in 2005 he was Captain, a mongrel force and aggro presence on the field and a midfield and around-the-ground driver. Same thing would probably happen with Geelong if JSelwood was injured or suspended for their first final. Geelong win 75+% of their games when JSelwood plays. (https://www.bigfooty.com/news/2017/05/which-afl-players-have-the-worst-win-loss-record/)

Great player but how could this boring, monotone cliche merchant who hadn't given a single indication that he was a switched on thinker, brimming with football nous or insight suddenly be this great coach in waiting? Seeing a bit more of it now. I guess not everyone is comfortable with the media and for some the 'public message' holds minimal importance anyway.
Thoughtful post, kudos, and I reckon you answer your own question ie because he was a great player --- they usually have footy nous and insight (though not all make good coaches eg Voss, Watson, Leppitsch) .
Goodwin's got a long road ahead of him and is really yet to prove himself as a Coach, but Melbourne are showing much improved tenacity and tackling mongrel in 2017.

Mostly agree, even if I think you're being a bit tough on the Crows. It happens to all teams.
Many strong teams that lose a really good player via injury or suspension are vulnerable the following week/s. In Ricciuto's case in 2005 he was Captain, a mongrel force and aggro presence on the field and a midfield and around-the-ground driver. Same thing would probably happen with Geelong if JSelwood was injured or suspended for their first final. Geelong win 75+% of their games when JSelwood plays. (https://www.bigfooty.com/news/2017/05/which-afl-players-have-the-worst-win-loss-record/)
in isolation I agree and I probably wouldn't be so tough.

sadly over the last ten years its proven not to be an isolated incident. While circumstances have varied slightly - whether it be a suspension in the last round costing us top 2 last year, parvovirus in 2006, whatever the excuse was in the home qualifier against Sydney in 2012, along with all the shocking semi-finals - we've shown it doesn't take much to upset the apple cart at west lakes.

and quite frankly all that Selwood stat suggests is that Geelong aren't much either - a side half full of deadwood who are over achieving on the backs of a few stars.

every side has their fair share of hacks - but the difference between us in 97, 98 or the Bulldogs last year, and us in 05, 06 or Geelong last year is being able to get something out of them - even if your stars aren't there or are getting shut down.

I believe the key to that is pretty straight forward, you have to show confidence and belief in your players so they can develop confidence and belief in themselves, and you have to create an environment (cultcha) that instills respect for the team that has to be based on accountability for your own performance (it's probably obvious how well I think we're doing on these counts).

but anyway, back to Goodwin to finish off - while he is a bit of a student of Craig and I don't keep too close an eye on selection at the Dees, watching them play suggests to me he's doing a pretty good job of getting them to play for the team, for each other. So good on you Goody, best of luck whenever you're not playing us :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

STK dominating the midfield had nothing to do with Craig.

Yup Robert Harvey dominating was nothing to do with Craig Huh

Tee hee Your teal is showing again

STK dominating the midfield had nothing to do with Craig.
You're right!
Ricciuto's suspension had nothing to do with Craig, as well. If you're looking for blame for that result, blame Ricciuto, not Craig.
Yup Robert Harvey dominating was nothing to do with Craig Huh
Right again. Two for two, good onya :thumbsu: :thumbsu:.
Tee hee Your teal is showing again
... :huh: :huh: and, OH but OH, you slip back into vagueness.
I have no idea what that means --- and you were doing so well, too. Two out of three ain't bad. You seem to have forgotten that Craig coached the team into top spot to get the Home Final vs the Saints, or did he have nothing to do with that, either?
How about you just endorse DD#23's view:
"So good on you Goody, best of luck whenever you're not playing us :thumbsu:" ? (the thread's about Goodwin)

P.S. "tee hee" ??? o_O Seriously?

Bicks
Many thanks for posting Goody's speech. Loved this: "If Sherrin had an aftershave, I'd be wearing it now", from a man who LIVED footy --- and still does!

You're right!
Ricciuto's suspension had nothing to do with Craig, as well. If you're looking for blame for that result, blame Ricciuto, not Craig.

Right again. Two for two, good onya :thumbsu: :thumbsu:.
... :huh: :huh: and, OH but OH, you slip back into vagueness.
I have no idea what that means --- and you were doing so well, too. Two out of three ain't bad. You seem to have forgotten that Craig coached the team into top spot to get the Home Final vs the Saints, or did he have nothing to do with that, either?
How about you just endorse DD#23's view:
"So good on you Goody, best of luck whenever you're not playing us :thumbsu:" ? (the thread's about Goodwin)

P.S. "tee hee" ??? o_O Seriously?

Seriously :D

Only someone who didn't watch that game would support Craig and blame ricciuto's absence

Now what colour of supporter wouldn't have watched that game and would be trying to piece together an opinion years later from team sheets?

Tee hee

Only someone who didn't watch that game would support Craig and blame ricciuto's absence ... etc etc
There are not enough letters in the word "wrong" that fully convey how wrong you are.
I watched that game, from just to the L of the SW point post about 15 rows back on the terrace. Wore my Crows beanie and scarf.
I supported Craig totally in 2005 as did most Crows supporters, Goodwin as well, especially since we finished top (not repeated since) and Craig was our senior coach.
We lost by 8 points. Ricciuto's absence (not Craig's fault) was a big difference. He was worth 8+ points to the Crows, every game. Bock was out with the flu (also not Craig's fault). Skipworth missed two gettable set shots in the first quarter and Welsh a sitter as well --- have a look at the replay --- not Craig's fault, and that might have been the game right there. They get those 3, we win by 7, but they didn't. The Crows failed to convert their first quarter dominance into serious scoreboard pressure <=== what was Craig supposed to do, jog out there and tell them how to make those shots for goal?
The players blew that game, Captain most guilty, not Craig.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back