Should the draw be scrapped?

• No

• Yes, extra time

• Yes, golden point

• Yes, golden goal

• Yes, shootout

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If they can do it in the finals why not the regular season?

It (or something similar) is necessary in finals because of the progression imperative.

No such thing exists in H&A - you get premiership points as a reward for the result. 4 if you win, 2 if you draw, 0 if you lose.

Having extra time might change the game a bit too.

Say one team is playing much better, and/or the other side has no bench left due to injuries.

If a draw is not possible, the 'favoured' team might just play for ball ups hoping to get the extra ten minutes with which they should easily win.

With the draw on the table, the 'favoured' team is still obliged to try and scrap it forward for a point.

Can you imagine Whately and Co agreeing to that? They want a shorter game as it is.
If they were smart, they'd renegotiate their contracts to get double time when a game goes into overtime.

In all seriousness, how often is this actually going to happen? We've gone years without any draws in the past and it's likely we'll only get two draws this year. Worst case scenario is that we'll see this come up a handful of times in one season.

If the potential length of a match is genuinely an issue then they could always just reduce quarters to 18 minutes, which would mean an extra 8 minutes up their sleeve and presumably 10 minutes of overtime (5 minutes either way) would no longer be an issue. I don't think it's necessary but it's a potential solution if there's an outcry.

Let's see him show the results of his survey (including who he asked, separated into paid-up members, avid followers who only watch on TV, MCC members, and occasional theatre-goers, by state, by age and sex - categories including LGBTQIABCXYZ and IDontKnow).

Time to call coaches out when they claim 'this is what the fans want', or 'the game needs fixing' or 'change the rules'. It's not their game.

Can you imagine Whately and Co agreeing to that? They want a shorter game as it is.

Draw's are fine and shorter games (which may have helped players workloads given last year's hectic schedule) for the most part, were a failed experiment.

BTW, who are Whatley and Co.? What official capacity do they have in the AFL...?

They should measure the dicks of the 2 captains and whoever is bigger wins. It would make picking captains pretty interesting as well. You could have seen Robin Nahas captain Richmond

BTW, who are Whatley and Co.? What official capacity do they have in the AFL...?
Whately was unfortunately a key consultant when rules changed a couple of years ago. He’s been pushing a shorter quarter agenda for years (there’s a thread on the main board about it that’s popped up again recently).

When he or other media commentators get a bee in their bonnet about the state of the game, they bang on about it ad nauseum. Whately is particularly grandiose in his views.

Kudos to you for not being sucked into his media vortex.

Simon Goodwin needs to stop speaking on my behalf.

Say Carlton don't beat Brisbane by 6 points in round 21, 2008, and instead draw. Play 10 minutes extra time. Fev kicks 4 in extra time. Extra 10 minutes during 2008 and Fev kicks 4 and wins the coleman? that fair he got to play an extra 10 minutes?

Yes, golden boot seems to work ok and no-one complains about that.

I'm obviously in the minority here, I just hate draws in Aussie Rules. Always have.

But I have no idea where Goodwin got his data from. He should say that when his team hasn't just drawn a game. Now it just sounds like a sook.

Last edited:
Whately was unfortunately a key consultant when rules changed a couple of years ago. He’s been pushing a shorter quarter agenda for years (there’s a thread on the main board about it that’s popped up again recently).

When he or other media commentators get a bee in their bonnet about the state of the game, they bang on about it ad nauseum. Whately is particularly grandiose in his views.

Kudos to you for not being sucked into his media vortex.

Really, that I wasn't aware of! Gee, that's very 'progressive' of the AFL having media identities involved in such matters, if not fraught with danger...

Yep, as I often remind my sons; the 'AFL media', in respect to the AFL's operations and it's clubs, are essentially nothing more than a marketing tool and/or when presenting non-promotional opinions and commentary are merely outside noise...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The draw should always be part of our game. Not one valid reason to change it IMO.

Extra time for the first 3 weeks of finals ONLY.

GF a draw? Then replay it the following week!
I did like the GF replay as a concept, but its not exactly fair with a national competition for one side to travel twice.

I did like the GF replay as a concept, but its not exactly fair with a national competition for one side to travel twice.
Fair point.

But is it fair they have to travel in the first place, esp. if they finish higher??

Besides, it's a 1 in 100/200 year chance of a draw with an interstate team involved. Then they have a weeks holiday in Melbourne before the replay.

Should have kept it as a replay game.

Fair point.

But is it fair they have to travel in the first place, esp. if they finish higher??

Besides, it's a 1 in 100/200 year chance of a draw with an interstate team involved. Then they have a weeks holiday in Melbourne before the replay.

Should have kept it as a replay game.
Not really, I would rather the GF be at a neutral venue each year. It throws up some issues, but the "entertainment" isn't really required and the corporates have enough mosey to get a flight and hotel on short notice.

Failing that, every team should get 3 MCG games. Its not exactly fair for a team to be hosting the GF against someone who hasn't played at the venue all year, or only once. In Vic, at least teams can be (but aren't) scheduled to get some familiarity with the ground due to the number of teams in Melbourne.

As I mentioned before, why do players look so despondent after a draw, like they have lost the Grand Final? It's ridiculous, you finished with same score as your opponent, get over it already. It's not like it happens every week. Sometimes years go by without a draw, in fact in the WAFL there hasn't been a tied game since 2012.

Back