Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

Remove this Banner Ad

If he stays on beyond this year, it is the perfect example of why Melbourne are what they are as a footy club.
100% agree. I could not justify his existence beyond this year unless we are incapable financially of paying him out via agreed terms. The club has to think of supporters now. Work out how much they could lose in membership against paying him out and parting ways, or even via sponsorship etc. Why would you be motivated to join up again? I don’t even watch the whole thing. I watched a quarter and a half and knew that the cue was in the rack.

We also are carrying so many passengers. Our selection was truly horrible. Oscar McDonald, Wagner (don’t even know which one played), Smith, Jones, Spargo are just not AFL standard. We just don’t have any depth. There’s no way we play finals now, I am struggling to see how we win the next 3 which are absolute necessities. You can just tell Sydney have this left over go in them from the good years, something they can find to bury a perennial loser like Melbourne.

In 2017 when we lost to Collingwood in the last round I was bitterly disappointed, in 18 against WC in a PF I was disappointed, last year I just expected to lose after we started that way, and this year I couldn’t give a *. When the challenge is throw out there, we just crash and burn.

Goodwin? No, Simon BAD LOSS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd want heads to roll regardless as a Melbourne supporter
I think something will. Another year out of the 8 and members will get really vocal and the club will have less to defend than last year. I mean we aren’t talking the Bulldogs missing the finals 2 years running post flag. We are talking an average team winning a few finals then showing nothing for the next 2.

Today was a shocker, though something of an outlier this season, as we've generally beaten teams lower than us pretty comfortably. Seemed like the Swans were much better instructed on how to play to the conditions though (or just smarter footballers?).

More importantly, his record against top 8 teams is shockingly bad which to me is a red flag that our gameplan does not hold up against good opposition. Last season we were missing several key players at various points and only won 5 games. That is an indictment of our game style and over reliance on stars to carry us, more than an excuse for underperforming IMO. Have a look at the Pies this year, lacking key personnel, not playing the way they are capable of at full strength and yet still a formidable side.

Seemed crazy to re-sign him for as long as we did, and looks even worse now as there is no way we're paying out his contract this year.

If he stays on beyond this year, it is the perfect example of why Melbourne are what they are as a footy club.
If he’s sacked it says a lot as well. The MFC = a choose your own adventure where every option and outcome is ****ed.

Melbourne had a far superior team and much more motivation to win we had a late out in Mills who is vital to our HB on top on what we are already missing.

They just didnt care for whatever reason no wonder coaches go grey, Gawn has to be one of the worst setshots for goal i have seen.

When is he contracted too?
How are the Dees finances, are they asking the AFL for money due to COVID? If so I can’t see the AFL agreeing to handout more cash for a substantial payout to Goodwin.

Today was a shocker, though something of an outlier this season, as we've generally beaten teams lower than us pretty comfortably. Seemed like the Swans were much better instructed on how to play to the conditions though (or just smarter footballers?).

More importantly, his record against top 8 teams is shockingly bad which to me is a red flag that our gameplan does not hold up against good opposition. Last season we were missing several key players at various points and only won 5 games. That is an indictment of our game style and over reliance on stars to carry us, more than an excuse for underperforming IMO. Have a look at the Pies this year, lacking key personnel, not playing the way they are capable of at full strength and yet still a formidable side.

Seemed crazy to re-sign him for as long as we did, and looks even worse now as there is no way we're paying out his contract this year.

Can I say that I really want Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag soon . I know some ripper supporters of both and they deserve that feeling of euphoria that a flag brings after a such long time in the wilderness.

That’s all .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When is he contracted too?
How are the Dees finances, are they asking the AFL for money due to COVID? If so I can’t see the AFL agreeing to handout more cash for a substantial payout to Goodwin.
2022. IIRC they're off AFL assistance or was close to it so it's possible they sack him if they want. Problem is there's not that much by the way of quality coaching depth. Most of the best assistants were given head coaching roles already, Lyon seems like a bad fit. Maybe make a bold play for Clarko? But I think he's committed to Hawthorn at least short-term.

I guess it'll come down to the next 3 games. Could still in theory win all three of them, this is their first really bad result against a crap team. A 50/50 result and he might hold on because it's a bit difficult to sack him. But apart from a 4 game stretch late 2018 his record against actual good sides has long been dire so they really should be looking elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back