Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodwin has a better list, and had a smoother entry into his job than Richo. We were predicted not to win a game one season early on in Richos tenure. Goodwin got gifted an easier run with a team replete with high picks.

I just don't understand the lack of pressure in what has been a diabolical season for a team that should be primed.

To me, they've escaped scrutiny.

It's fine if you disagree.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
mate the Saints finished 9th in 2016 with 12 wins 10 losses in Richo’s 3rd season after building through the draft. Widely tipped to be making the finals after that. 17, 18 and 19 are 3 failed seasons by the saints under Richo.

Goodwin has had one failed season after making a prelim, if he fails again no doubt the scrutiny will come.

Goodwin has a better list, and had a smoother entry into his job than Richo. We were predicted not to win a game one season early on in Richos tenure. Goodwin got gifted an easier run with a team replete with high picks.

I just don't understand the lack of pressure in what has been a diabolical season for a team that should be primed.

Goodwin has credits in the bank. Nearly made finals 17 and a prelim 18. I don’t recall anyone from the club saying he needs to make finals this year to keep his job. Granted they’d have expected we would. Media love that stuff and will not let the club forget it.

This is the main issue isn’t it? The contractual period of his contract has tied him to us and put us in a difficult position should we want to remove him. I don’t know the ins and outs of it all, but think that the MFC would have hopefully been bright enough to include a clause in there re performance.

The positive person in me says that we pick up an A grader in the off season and improve our list developmentally whilst improving our strength and conditioning focus. This amounts to a rejuvenated approach and a place in the 8.

The negative person suggests that the status quo is maintained and we have a ‘big pre season’ by all reports but fail to adapt and fail again within 6 weeks of 2020.

They would have a clause in his contract saying that if he loses his job mid contract but gets a gig within the AFL they will only pay the portion of salary to make up the difference in money.

Scott had a similar deal in place however if he got any senior gig in 2020 there was no payments from North

In racing, conventional wisdom says you should forgive a horse one bad run. After Hardwick & Buckley, perhaps the footy version is to forgive a team one bad season.
Buckley had three s**t seasons, i get your point tho. Could throw Ratten in that pile as well, copped one not-even-that-bad season and it's been s**t down Lygon way ever since.

And he made a prelim last year. This year's been terrible but he has runs on the board to be given the benefit of the doubt for a poor year especially considering the injury list we've had.

How are you expected not to win a game? Seriously? Who goes through a year not winning one? It’s really easy to fathom, we’ve had a bad year under Goodwin. One bad year. One.

Don't worry. AFL will probably bail you out again like when they paid $2m for your Paul Roos hire.

Dees are the favourite child of the AFL. Gil is a culprit, Roos has been bought. Also since you have the MCC tenancy and are the "Melbourne" team, it'll always be this way.

If Saints had your treatment I daresay Richo would've ben gonski last year.
Who is bailing us out? Are we in financial ruin again are? Richardson did nothing at St Kilda for 6 years, what treatment do you want? A 3 year extension?

Mate, ONE BAD YEAR. Wrap your pill around that. We have a bad first 4 rounds next year and Goodwin is under serious serious heat. Who else is in the gun more than him and us?

Who is bailing us out? Are we in financial ruin again are? Richardson did nothing at St Kilda for 6 years, what treatment do you want? A 3 year extension?

Mate, ONE BAD YEAR. Wrap your pill around that. We have a bad first 4 rounds next year and Goodwin is under serious serious heat. Who else is in the gun more than him and us?
Yeh mate, lets agree to disagree. Lets wait and see.

But you’re prepared to write us off after one year are you?
Where did I write you off? I said over and over you have a strong list.

The pressure on a coach is Expectations minus Reality.

The expecations were so damn high. The reality has been the opposite.

Its not the same at Saints when they had a longer period of bad but at least everyone knew they had a poor list.

You obviously cant see this as youre too close to the situation. BUT lets wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You didn't finish 1st last year H and A? Does that mean you weren't the best side?

You've spent more time over the last few years outside than 8 than in, let alone actually being the fourth best.

We're one of the better sides and have been over a period of several years. I'd be comfortable saying we're a top handful in the comp, but wouldn't say I'd be comfortable saying anything near that for Melbourne.

You've spent more time over the last few years outside than 8 than in, let alone actually being the fourth best.

We're one of the better sides and have been over a period of several years. I'd be comfortable saying we're a top handful in the comp, but wouldn't say I'd be comfortable saying anything near that for Melbourne.
None of your opinion takes away from the literal fact we finished 4th last year. The rest is irrelevant

I am more coming along the lines of a different voice, perspective etc. But that may be too simplistic from my behalf due to frustration.
They've done that with the forward line and it looked like working until we lost all the tall forwards, the shift in confidence and style since Rawlings took over was similar to a change of coach and better than it was. Backline is coming along once it got the talent back and I think they are playing a sustainable style, particularly if Lever and Jetta jump up a few rungs. Midfield could do with the mental refresh that comes from a new coach and maybe shift a few structures and roles (which again, Goodwin and co have done) but the inside boys are mostly winning it and the outside guys aren't up to it and there's not a lot of options.

I’ve noticed that he sounds insincere when he talks.
Like he’s reading lines from a sheet, rather than having real character or feelings.

Not sure he will ever get much out of the players.

Its not the same at Saints when they had a longer period of bad but at least everyone knew they had a poor list.

You obviously cant see this as youre too close to the situation. BUT lets wait and see.
Maybe those expectations were too high? I had Melbourne 7th-12th at the beginning of the season.

Who set the expectations?

Thats pretty reasonable but I think you'd be one of very few.

Most media had you as flag contenders if not favourites. Top 4 was considered likely, and bottom 4 was not even in the question.
Oh ok, so the media are right are they? I mean David King can get in the ‘lab’ and give you a formula to digest and then, wahlah, it’s palatable?

You know the media don’t know WTF they are talking about right?

Thats pretty reasonable but I think you'd be one of very few.

Most media had you as flag contenders if not favourites. Top 4 was considered likely, and bottom 4 was not even in the question.
Shows how wrong the media can be.

Melbourne 2018 only won 2 games against top 8 teams during the season and then played really well during finals. Prelim was an overachievement last year.

Melbourne’s Prelim side was the youngest prelim side in over 10 years. Young sides barely back up top seasons as they have longer to start pre-season training and don’t have the years of fitness and strength to stay up strait away.

I wrote it big footy Melbourne will have a bad first half of the season, be down near the bottom 4 but will have a better 2nd half and push for finals 7th-12th.

Sure Melbourne won’t be pushing finals even if we do have a good finish to the season, but to the people who thought Melbourne were top 4 and a serious premiership contender are just basing it off 2 good finals games and nothing else

Oh ok, so the media are right are they? I mean David King can get in the ‘lab’ and give you a formula to digest and then, wahlah, it’s palatable?

You know the media don’t know WTF they are talking about right?
The public and even Dees fans all bought it. Stop pretending this wasnt a thing.

No one expected Dees to miss finals, let alone be in the bittom 3

The public and even Dees fans all bought it. Stop pretending this wasnt a thing.

No one expected Dees to miss finals, let alone be in the bittom 3
Mate David King shot his load in 2017 when we beat WC in Perth by 3 points and declared we’d win the flag, we didn’t play finals!

No mate, the public didn’t bring it, the term public is very broad. The media got into a circle jerk about us and the rest is history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back