Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Here we have a team tipped my many to be top 4 and the club themselves clearly were expecting big things. They’re sitting in 16th on the ladder with not a lot of footy left.

Why has Goodwin seemingly avoided the heat that typically comes when a team with high expectations spectacularly fails like they have?

From the games I’ve watched they’re not missing a heap of key players from last year.

For all the s**t Worsfold has copped all year the Bombers are out of the 8 only on percentage.

Can anyone explain it? I find it completely bizarre.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Probably because the people who actually know what they’re talking about do some research and have seen our injury list and the amount of players that went in for post-season surgery. Carlton and Fremantle supporters clearly still sore from their recent losses.

They extended him, he's too expensive to get rid of even if they want to.
After their preseason with surgeries and injuries I'm not sure they do anyway

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we are in this position this time next year then he’ll be under the pump. Last years performance coupled with the injuries including pre season surgeries will give him an out this season. We had 15 players have post season surgery. We’ve clearly had the most games missed through injury. Perhaps the fitness department botched some of the rehab I’m not sure. But we’ll have a new fitness boss soon.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Probably because the people who actually know what they’re talking about do some research and have seen our injury list and the amount of players that went in for post-season surgery. Carlton and Fremantle supporters clearly still sore from their recent losses.
Brett Ratten got absolutely killed by injuries after a strong start in 2012 and ended up sacked later in the year. He copped heaps of s**t from everywhere and eventually it led to his demise.

Richmond almost went into a full blown meltdown in 2016 when they failed to make the 8 and from memory they had a fair few injuries, Hardwick copped a ridiculous amount of s**t.

Haven’t seen injuries prevent coaches from absolutely copping it in the past. The media most of the time never cares much about facts and what may be causing a lot of losses.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
You'd back him to turn it around and just put this down as a year where everything just went wrong after a very promising 2018.

That said if he turned in the same year next year I think he'd be right up there on the chopping block.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brett Ratten got absolutely killed by injuries after a strong start in 2012 and ended up sacked later in the year. He copped heaps of s**t from everywhere and eventually it led to his demise.

Richmond almost went into a full blown meltdown in 2016 when they failed to make the 8 and from memory they had a fair few injuries, Hardwick copped a ridiculous amount of s**t.

Haven’t seen injuries prevent coaches from absolutely copping it in the past. The media most of the time never cares much about facts and what may be causing a lot of losses.
I think Goody copping heat has been saved by Carlton failing to improve and win games over the last few years. Hence Bolton copping it. Richo failing to make finals or show improvement in last 2 years at saints. They have had injuries this year but they probably haven’t done enough to save him. Also his club said they needed to make finals and perhaps win one to give him another year. So the club sorta put him in it. The media love that stuff.
The heat on Essendon has mainly come from Robbo IMO. I feel he wants Woosha out and his dream albeit unattainable if for Hird to come back. He has also failed to improve over past couple of years. Essendon have been very inconsistent.
Melbourne has backed Goody in. It’s been a nightmare year injury wise. Next year will be a key one for him. I liked the mid year coaching shake up. I still believe we need a strategic coach like Longmuir. Goody was quiet good tactically over last couple of years but this year he hasn’t coped with 6-6-6. Still a young side though and with a good pre season I’d be surprised if we weren’t back in the finals.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
If we are in this position this time next year then he’ll be under the pump. Last years performance coupled with the injuries including pre season surgeries will give him an out this season. We had 15 players have post season surgery. We’ve clearly had the most games missed through injury. Perhaps the fitness department botched some of the rehab I’m not sure. But we’ll have a new fitness boss soon.

I've asked this before in other threads, but is 15 a lot for off season surgery? It seems a few, but it's roughly one third of the list. Without context of other teams or what you normally have, I don't know what to make of that number.

Obviously not all surgeries are equal either and minor clean outs are far less impactful than extensive repair work.

But I'm cautious of putting all the blame on that. If the coach played players who weren't yet match fit, that's a big failure for him. If medically not fit then a big failure elsewhere.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've asked this before in other threads, but is 15 a lot for off season surgery? It seems a few, but it's roughly one third of the list. Without context of other teams or what you normally have, I don't know what to make of that number.

Obviously not all surgeries are equal either and minor clean outs are far less impactful than extensive repair work.

But I'm cautious of putting all the blame on that. If the coach played players who weren't yet match fit, that's a big failure for him. If medically not fit then a big failure elsewhere.
I’m not sure on other clubs but anyone who has spoken about it has mentioned it’s a lot. Also I think a lot of guys had reasonably big surgeries. I’m also concerned perhaps the club botched the rehab programs and didn’t get guys back in time. Even guys who didn’t have surgery like Melksham Jones and Brayshaw barely trained due to injury. It was a massive issue for us.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Martin and Rance played enough games to earn AA. Riewoldt played every game, Cotchin missed two.

More bulls**t because you're salty at losing to Melbourne again.

How many games have Gawn, Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Oliver, McDonald missed this year? Your best players from last year have had a pretty good run at it.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Here we have a team tipped my many to be top 4 and the club themselves clearly were expecting big things. They’re sitting in 16th on the ladder with not a lot of footy left.

Why has Goodwin seemingly avoided the heat that typically comes when a team with high expectations spectacularly fails like they have?

From the games I’ve watched they’re not missing a heap of key players from last year.

For all the s**t Worsfold has copped all year the Bombers are out of the 8 only on percentage.

Can anyone explain it? I find it completely bizarre.

Aka I haven't watched any games

There was a 3 - 5 week stretch where we only had 25 odd players available on the list

Players who have/will miss 3+ games
Jetta
Hibberd
May
Lever
Gawn
Hannan
Garlett
Vandenburg
Smith
T.McDonald
Melksham
Kolodjashni
JKH
Neitscke
Sparrow

Plus we had 22 players have surgery and miss the majority of the person. Only 4 from our prelim side didn't.

Someone like Clayton Oliver had both shoulders reconstructed.

Its pretty clear this year has/was a write off. If we start slow next year then the pressure will ramp up like crazy

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
How many games have Gawn, Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Jones, Oliver, McDonald missed this year? Your best players from last year have had a pretty good run at it.

All of these guys had pre season surgery and were unable to train at all basically.

You just invented a list of our best players, completely left off Hibberd Jetta Hannan Melksham Vandenburg who were crucial to us last year.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Add to this a history of gambling addiction and it beggars belief he would be entrusted with young men.

What?

He’s a recovered gambling addict, which should preclude him from a job? Despite there being absolutely zero evidence he’s gambled in years, or that the gambling has affected his work in the slightest?

That’s completely absurd.

“Entrusted with young men”? Give me a *in spell. What, is he being dumped on a desert island with a bunch of 17 year olds? He’s the coach. They’re at a footy club with countless people above, below and beside Goodwin, all employed to monitor the health, wellbeing and performance of the players. I don’t think he’s going to quietly turn them all into degenerate gamblers.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
All of these guys had pre season surgery and were unable to train at all basically.

You just invented a list of our best players, completely left off Hibberd Jetta Hannan Melksham Vandenburg who were crucial to us last year.

Fair enough, but why rush them all for round 1? Surely they could have had a strong training block and come in round 5 or 6.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Fair enough, but why rush them all for round 1? Surely they could have had a strong training block and come in round 5 or 6.
I completely agree with that, Viney Oliver Brayshaw McDonald especially all started the season terrible and were a hindrance. I think we thought they could build into the season and we would be like 3-3 or so and launch from there but then we lost May, Hibberd Jetta and Omac lost all form and we were garbage.
Plus like I said 17 or 18 of the best 22 had off season surgery, it was a disaster from that front but hopefully it pays dividends next year

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
And still begging for priority picks and collecting wooden spoons. Congrats!

Also LOL at "absolutely killed by injuries". Fact check:
Judd played 17 games (suspended for four). Gibbs, Simpson, Robinson, Yarran, Garlett, Kruezer, Betts, H Scotland all played 18 or more.

Stop making up bulls**t because you're salty at losing to Melbourne again :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Martin and Rance played enough games to earn AA. Riewoldt played every game, Cotchin missed two.

More bulls**t because you're salty at losing to Melbourne again.

So glad to see it still hurts. Must suck losing to Goodwin even though he had half a team and one fit player on the bench at the end. Shows you how absolutely pathetic Carlton are even with SUPERCOACH David Teague at the helm.

I guess it's nothing a few more priority picks won't fix, especially with your Pick 1 in the draft this year!!!
Yet this year with a far heavier injury toll than Melbourne, Richmond have won more games

Back