Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Name any player on Melbourne's list near the quality of Riewoldt or Rance
That's a stupid way too judge it.

But May Lever Gawn McDonald Melksham Jetta and Hibberd have all missed games they are all top 10 players on our list
Screenshot_20190710-110013.jpg

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
That's a stupid way too judge it.

But May Lever Gawn McDonald Melksham Jetta and Hibberd have all missed games they are all top 10 players on our list
And Richmond have had Riewoldt, Rance, Cotchin, Nankervis, Short, Lambert and Caddy miss fair chunks of the season too

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Irrelevant.
8 of our best 10 players have missed with injury, plus Oliver and Brayshaw. Oliver had a double shoulder reconstruction.

I understand you are scrambling to rescue your point rather than just admit you guessed on Melbournes situation
Yet the players Richmond have missed would easily be in Melbourne's top 10

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yet the players Richmond have missed would easily be in Melbourne's top 10
Yeah So? Both sides have been hit by injuries. We played a game with 5 of our starting 6 backs out. I don't care to compare who's is worse, but it's embarassing you still haven't conceded on the 'far worse' comment

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Posted in an earlier thread but still relevant

Goodwin is being exposed for the dud he is.

Should never have got the job after he was up to his neck in the Essendon drugs business anyway.
Add to this a history of gambling addiction and it beggars belief he would be entrusted with young men.

Last year everything went their way and they assumed they would turn up and win a flag.

Mark Neeld made the hard calls on a soft club and got arsed because he was too mean.
Roos comes in with crystals and group hugs and made them all feel good again.
Goodwin rides off the work of these two until the goodwill runs dry and they are again exposed for the soft club they are.
Gary Pert- who was first removed under independent Collingwood review somehow is appointed CEO

Board should go and start again.
Neeld is/was one of the worst AFL coaches. from his sacking at essendon from instructing the players to play differently against worsefolds instructions, to letting Jack Trengrove captain a clubat 19. To helping clear out guys like Cameron Bruce/James McDonald to at least help guys with professionalism

He replaced them with outsiders not wanted by other clubs like Shannon Byrnes, Chris Dawes. Where James Mcdonald was at least respected 200+ gamer who turned up to a club on it's knee's, worked his ass off and was sacked, suddenly replaced by Dawes who went over for one last payday

Mean's fine however its worse, He was mean and didnt know what the * he was doing, Divided a young playing list and ruined almost 2 years of the clubs rebuilding process.

Paul Roo's i ******* hate because people worship him at least went "Holy hell i got to figure out the culture issue beforehand before any progress is mad"

Melbourne are a rabble, yes. However the main issues is Some young players had absolute cracker years, They Recruited dumb defenders when it was never their weakness, Suddenly they gave up Hogan for May, Lever for a top pick, Lost some depth because they traded a pretty good 6th best midfielder for a ruckman which they didnt need before trading away hogan so Mcdonald had to exclusively play forward and not pinch hit and injuries wiped them out.

Would of been fine If Brayshaw had an elite season, Petracca elevated, Viney played with that same hunger as he did when he came back and guys like Harmes/hibberd/vandenberg built on their last season rather then regress

Only guys who have been consistent is Jetta, Gawnand Oliver, While people will Argue with Oliver he's not regressed. just had the same season. he has a few things to work on his game before he's a consistent top 5 midfielder. However he has all the talent and time on his side

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Neeld is/was one of the worst AFL coaches. from his sacking at essendon from instructing the players to play differently against worsefolds instructions, to letting Jack Trengrove captain a clubat 19. To helping clear out guys like Cameron Bruce/James McDonald to at least help guys with professionalism

He replaced them with outsiders not wanted by other clubs like Shannon Byrnes, Chris Dawes. Where James Mcdonald was at least respected 200+ gamer who turned up to a club on it's knee's, worked his ass off and was sacked, suddenly replaced by Dawes who went over for one last payday

Mean's fine however its worse, He was mean and didnt know what the fu** he was doing, Divided a young playing list and ruined almost 2 years of the clubs rebuilding process.

Paul Roo's i ******* hate because people worship him at least went "Holy hell i got to figure out the culture issue beforehand before any progress is mad"

Melbourne are a rabble, yes. However the main issues is Some young players had absolute cracker years, They Recruited dumb defenders when it was never their weakness, Suddenly they gave up Hogan for May, Lever for a top pick, Lost some depth because they traded a pretty good 6th best midfielder for a ruckman which they didnt need before trading away hogan so Mcdonald had to exclusively play forward and not pinch hit and injuries wiped them out.

Would of been fine If Brayshaw had an elite season, Petracca elevated, Viney played with that same hunger as he did when he came back and guys like Harmes/hibberd/vandenberg built on their last season rather then regress

Only guys who have been consistent is Jetta, Gawnand Oliver, While people will Argue with Oliver he's not regressed. just had the same season. he has a few things to work on his game before he's a consistent top 5 midfielder. However he has all the talent and time on his side
Jetta has been our injured most of the year and was profoundly down in form prior to that.

And still begging for priority picks and collecting wooden spoons. Congrats!

Also LOL at "absolutely killed by injuries". Fact check:
Judd played 17 games (suspended for four). Gibbs, Simpson, Robinson, Yarran, Garlett, Kruezer, Betts, H Scotland all played 18 or more.

Stop making up bulls**t because you're salty at losing to Melbourne again :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Martin and Rance played enough games to earn AA. Riewoldt played every game, Cotchin missed two.

More bulls**t because you're salty at losing to Melbourne again.

So glad to see it still hurts. Must suck losing to Goodwin even though he had half a team and one fit player on the bench at the end. Shows you how absolutely pathetic Carlton are even with SUPERCOACH David Teague at the helm.

I guess it's nothing a few more priority picks won't fix, especially with your Pick 1 in the draft this year!!!

You can see the deep pain etched in Melbourne supporters posts time and time again. Flagless for over 50 years, the one year some (misguided) souls thought they were a genuine chance to win one and they were 90 seconds away from being second last on the ladder below a side that has won something like 5 of its last 50 games. You really do just have to feel for them.

Deelighted

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
As others have said, it will come if we're in a similar position next year. As it stands this year is an outlier in the current rebuild, since Roos took over we have slowly but steadily won more games each season.

I haven't seen much in terms of game style or matchday coaching to suggest Goodwin is a particularly good coach (would have told you this post finals last year too FWIW).

I had to laugh pre season at people who had us as flag favourites, after only scraping into the finals last year. Did not expect to be so poor this season though, and while injuries probably have contributed, the issues with our game style and list have been there for a good 3-4 seasons and have not been rectified.

Extending Goodwins contract before the season, while I understand was the clubs idea of a vote of confidence, was pre-emptive and could be an expensive mistake if we're forced to pay him out next year or even 2021.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Yet this year with a far heavier injury toll than Melbourne, Richmond have won more games
Haven't kept up with the footy results but I assume from your post Richmond had a win on the weekend?

Good to see we're turning every thread into a Richmond thread again.

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Guys like Harmes/hibberd/vandenberg built on their last season rather then regress... Only guys who have been consistent is Jetta, Gawnand Oliver...
Vanders hasn't played a game due to injury, Hibberd has missed a few- broken collarbone most recently. Jetta's missed most of the year too.

Way to show you that not only have you not actually watched Melbourne play, but you don't even follow them at all.

Friendly reminder Dees met Hawthorn earlier this year and we won (without our "most consistent player" Jetta too)

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ll be surprised if there isn’t a full analysis of the football department after this season, similar to what happened to Geelong in 06. Not necessarily to get rid of the coach (which probably won’t happen) but more so to work out what went wrong, maybe change a couple of assistants, etc etc.

This season has been abysmal. To go from top 4 to bottom 4 is horrendous.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018

Mean's fine however its worse, He was mean and didnt know what the fu** he was doing, Divided a young playing list and ruined almost 2 years of the clubs rebuilding process.

Harmes has been arguably top 3 for Melbourne...and Jetta has barely played (unless it's Salem that you're mixing him up with)...Not sure how Vandenberg can build on his last season, given he hasn't played a game this year...Hibberd also had a good 2017, but actually regressed in 2018. Hasn't played enough this season to warrant a judgement either way. Hogan wanted to go home, so not too much they could do about that. Dom Tyson has barely played at the Roos, and Preuss was actually necessary as backup (as they don't have anyone else besides Gawn to ruck - the game against Carlton that Gawn missed showed this on the weekend).

Given all of the above, I'm not quite sure you've articulated your point too well. Seems a lot of it is hyperbole, rather than reasoned fact-based statements. Might want to research things a bit further before you go making big statements about another club and their list. Undermines your point of view and makes it easier for supporters of that club to disregard what you say.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
What a load of s**t

You think Melbourne didn't cop it from 2008 until Roos took over?

Hard to disagree with this. Only time I've ever seen a coach fired directly after a match, was when Bailey oversaw 'that' match against us. The furore and the noise surrounding that was absolutely palpable

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
I think they are just having one of those years which happens occasionally. Hawthorn 2009, Richmond 2015 are 2 current examples off the top of my head. Injuries, poor pre-seasons, over-hyped both internally and externally and things generally just go to shite.
I have now doubt that 2020 will be a much different result for them, and based on their likely easy draw which they'll get due to their poor finish this year, will be strong favorites for a flag tilt in 2020 and onwards.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ll be surprised if there isn’t a full analysis of the football department after this season, similar to what happened to Geelong in 06. Not necessarily to get rid of the coach (which probably won’t happen) but more so to work out what went wrong, maybe change a couple of assistants, etc etc.

This season has been abysmal. To go from top 4 to bottom 4 is horrendous.
The president came out this week saying there’s not going to be a review of that size. Seems they’ve reviewed on the run with several coaching role swaps already done. No doubt we’ll be making coaching move post season. Also our head of fitness is finishing up so that department will be overhauled.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Why so little noise?

after losing the first 3 games , the early flag favourite and a lock for most peoples top 4 beat the Swans in Rnd 4

The pressure was there for all to see and Goodwin teared up at the end of the game

there was much joy from the playing group , but 1 win from 4 games , still much ground to recover

they didn't have to wait long for the anti climax , they lost to the Saints the next week

They did try to muscle up and respond for the ANZAC eve game V Richmond
The Tigers with a growing injury list were vulnerable

It was a hard fought game till midway thru the 3rd qtr , Richmond was squeezing the life out of them
and went on to win by over 40 pts

The general opinion floating around the crowd (supporters from both sides) as we slowly shuffled out of the G was that was Melb.'s season done
and most probably Goodwin's papers stamped, there was no drama or hysterics, it was just there staring us in the face

Injuries , team balance , maybe some coaching mistakes all added up to Melb. weren't where the football world thought they were and from here , even in round 6 , it would take something extraordinary for it to change

The lack of noise might be due to the football was singing Melb's praise and saying how great they would do in 2019 , they weren't boasting and trashing talking the rest of the comp.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I think they are just having one of those years which happens occasionally. Hawthorn 2009, Richmond 2015 are 2 current examples off the top of my head. Injuries, poor pre-seasons, over-hyped both internally and externally and things generally just go to s**t.
I have now doubt that 2020 will be a much different result for them, and based on their likely easy draw which they'll get due to their poor finish this year, will be strong favorites for a flag tilt in 2020 and onwards.
Richmond made finals 2015, you are thinking of 2016

Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Given all of the above, I'm not quite sure you've articulated your point too well. Seems a lot of it is hyperbole, rather than reasoned fact-based statements. Might want to research things a bit further before you go making big statements about another club and their list. Undermines your point of view and makes it easier for supporters of that club to disregard what you say.
Or we could call it exactly what it is- mindless drivel from someone who has absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Here we have a team tipped my many to be top 4 and the club themselves clearly were expecting big things. They’re sitting in 16th on the ladder with not a lot of footy left.

Why has Goodwin seemingly avoided the heat that typically comes when a team with high expectations spectacularly fails like they have?

From the games I’ve watched they’re not missing a heap of key players from last year.

For all the s**t Worsfold has copped all year the Bombers are out of the 8 only on percentage.

Can anyone explain it? I find it completely bizarre.

You are missing the point that the heat on Worsfold comes from Bomber supporters, not externally. They like to eat their own.

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
People suggesting the lack of heat on Goodwin has anything to do with Melbourne's "relevancy" or lack thereof, are quite clearly a bit simple in the head. Coach sackings and club turmoil is a bloodsport and sells more papers than "Essendon wins game". This year, St Kilda and North, two clubs people like to lump us in with occasionally, both had the negative media spotlight on them and created plenty of discussion on talk back and footy shows arguing whether to knife their coach or not. The reason we have escaped the same spotlight is not cause we are even less relevant than these two clubs, but cause of the reasons mentioned elsewhere I.e. injury toll and the fact that Goody has had us on an upward curve since he's been here ultimately leading us to our first prelim in too long. Every coach gets a pass for a shitty year.

Next year if we are still playing like horseshit we will rightly cop our whack in the media, and likely knock some of the 'big 4' (wank) clubs off of the back page in the process.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably because the people who actually know what they’re talking about do some research and have seen our injury list and the amount of players that went in for post-season surgery. Carlton and Fremantle supporters clearly still sore from their recent losses.
Melbourne's position shouldnt be squarely blamed on injuries

Its been a shambles

Back