Simon Goodwin: Why so little noise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe. Just seems that the media treat Roos as some sort of mythical god that can do no wrong and as he is the bloke that anointed Goodwin he escapes criticism
Roos left when he should’ve stayed, I hate how he sits back in his high chair talking chop and being critical and analysing everything on 360. Just flat out over him. I thought he was moving to Hawaii after he retired?

Roos left when he should’ve stayed, I hate how he sits back in his high chair talking chop and being critical and analysing everything on 360. Just flat out over him. I thought he was moving to Hawaii after he retired?
Watch him end up at Carlton or somewhere.
I thought he was heading OS aswell

May looked ordinary today. Would you still chase him if the option came up again? Can see it with Lever but his closing speed and ability to read the ball and peel off was really noticeable live he will be huge next year and I hope his body holds up
Hope your right about Lever, but be careful casting dispersions about May, you’ll have Melbourne supporters coming at you from all sides if you don’t repeatedly acknowledge his obvious greatness and that of the trade that brought him to Melbourne

It’s media driven.

Media have had so many to go after this year. With Alan Richardson currently the poster boy for a future sacked coach the media has left Goodwin alone.

It’s media driven.

Media have had so many to go after this year. With Alan Richardson currently the poster boy for a future sacked coach the media has left Goodwin alone.

The fact richardson was coming in off a poor season adds to that.

Media driven is BS, Goodwin will be under fire if there’s a repeat of this in 2020

Together with his mate Brendan McCartney, he clearly values some sort of blue-collar, crack in work ethic over football skills.

The Bulldogs weren't great today but Melbourne are slow of thought, slow of foot and low skilled.

I thought their list was one of the best in the comp last year, and could only add to it with May and Lever.

May looked ordinary today. Would you still chase him if the option came up again? Can see it with Lever but his closing speed and ability to read the ball and peel off was really noticeable live he will be huge next year and I hope his body holds up

Yep absoloutely since he's back from injury he's been easily top 5 and probably one of our top 3 players.

Every side has guys like Baker and Stretch injured. Kolodjashnij being some important 'main addition' is nice revisionism, considering without a full season since 2016 due to ongoing issues he was steak knives.
I'm not using it as an excuse I'm saying it's the weakest spot on the list (in addition to small forward) and nothing has gone to plan. Kolodjashnij had no trade value but signed a decent contract with Melbourne because they wanted him in the best 22 on the wing to provide to outside run and class they needed, he trained all summer on one wing with Fritsch on the other. Vandenberg the mid/wing/forward utility type who can play on the wing if needed. Baker and Stretch the developmental/depth players.

Geelong this year compared to last are showing the value of fixing glaring weaknesses and how star players alone are overrated. Melbourne's stars carried them to a prelim surrounded by some ordinary players and with the stars down on form the weaknesses are on display. It's the reality of having to build pretty much a whole fresh list since the Neeld days, fixing everything at once was going to be a big struggle.

Dogs had 51 inside 50's and Naughton had 1 mark inside 50 I think, the other 3 marks and most of his 10 disposals leading up on a wing. Wasn't May's best ball use game but 16 kicks at 81% efficiency isn't terrible and he's still getting use to team mates in match conditions. Absolutely still chase him.

Lever was rusty, trailed in his opponent too much and shaky with the ball, but there were still some signs that he can play some very good footy, particularly when the up field pressure is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its possible that next week Melbourne could be below us on the ladder...i.e. 17th.

Really interesting that Goodwin remains unscathed when he has a top 4 list that while has some injuries, should be better than bottom 2-4.

Paul Roos lovechild with media protection???

Its possible that next week Melbourne could be below us on the ladder...i.e. 17th.

Really interesting that Goodwin remains unscathed when he has a top 4 list that while has some injuries, should be better than bottom 2-4.

Having a contract until the end of 2021 and making a PF last year is why theyhave let him off.

Once themedia get a sniff of blood, possibly next year they will come for him

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I’d be dead surprised if we’re any higher than 17th on the ladder by this time next week.

I don’t think your conspiracy theory is the reason Goodwin has had relatively little pressure. It’s a combination of things that have given him the amnesty this year - finals last year/injuries/resigned before start of season.

Unless Demons can do something extraordinary in early 20/20, and that looks less and less likely to me, he will achieve his rightful position as talking point of the week. Every week.

What does it say about Naughton that he got owned by one of our ordinary defenders?

What does it say about Naughton that he got owned by one of our ordinary defenders?
The double teaming of Lever and blocking of your other blokes made it hard and our crap ball use. Thought Naughto was pretty good with the boundary get out kicks and clunked a few. Having him means most of the opposition try plan for him and some of our other lesser players get more freedom. Dont think he was owned at all ive just seen May play some blinders before and hold him to high expectations so thought he was average that game to some of those

There will be a lot more heat applied to Goodwin next year if we have another poor year and miss out on finals. Personally, I'm leaning towards Melbourne responding in 2020 and having a much better season. No guarantees of course but I'll think we'll get ourselves back on track.

Here we have a team tipped my many to be top 4 and the club themselves clearly were expecting big things. They’re sitting in 16th on the ladder with not a lot of footy left.

Why has Goodwin seemingly avoided the heat that typically comes when a team with high expectations spectacularly fails like they have?

From the games I’ve watched they’re not missing a heap of key players from last year.

For all the s**t Worsfold has copped all year the Bombers are out of the 8 only on percentage.

Can anyone explain it? I find it completely bizarre.

I tend to agree. Their two captains are very limited ( would either be in the best 30 midfielders in the afl?) and they have a very ordinary forward line. Gary Lyon tipped them to make GF( lol!) .

Goodwin is an introvert( met him several times) who i suspect would struggle with the relationship side of things. Viney literally cant kick more than 35 metres.

Do you seriously think he would be under that much heat after one bad year?

I tend to agree. Their two captains are very limited ( would either be in the best 30 midfielders in the afl?) and they have a very ordinary forward line. Gary Lyon tipped them to make GF( lol!) .

Goodwin is an introvert( met him several times) who i suspect would struggle with the relationship side of things. Viney literally cant kick more than 35 metres.

You don’t have to be the best player to be the captain, and Jones has worked incredibly hard his entire career in a very poor team. His standards have always been really high. Age catches up with everyone however. Viney was inspirational in both our finals wins last year, his intensity was ridiculous.

I tend to think Jones should step down next year and leave Viney to it or maybe he should relinquish it also and give it to someone else. I don’t know. I think Viney should focus on being a really solid player first and foremost.

Do you seriously think he would be under that much heat after one bad year?

Fair point, but there's been close to 0 heat.

It's less then duration/years of failure, and more how spectacular it has been.

Disappointment = Expectation - Actual Outcome.

At least with the Saints no-one expected them to be a Top 8 team. Similar with Bolts and North.

Melbourne were expected to win the flag by some. Traded in Lever and May to make your backline elite. Everything has been thrown in and done for the Premiership window...and then this.

You don’t have to be the best player to be the captain, and Jones has worked incredibly hard his entire career in a very poor team. His standards have always been really high. Age catches up with everyone however. Viney was inspirational in both our finals wins last year, his intensity was ridiculous.

I tend to think Jones should step down next year and leave Viney to it or maybe he should relinquish it also and give it to someone else. I don’t know. I think Viney should focus on being a really solid player first and foremost.
Give the captaincy to Gawn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back